adventurechick

Army Airborne

I'm in the 101st Airborne, which is now an Air Assault unit, but still part of the XVIII Airborne Corps. PM me your questions if you want.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I spent three of my seven years in the 82nd Airborne Division. I have also jumped military HALO rigs. One thing to keep in mind is that HALO canopies are not like sport canopies. They are huge slow moving things designed to jump combat equipment. You probably won't be jumping sport canopies on duty unless you are lucky enough to be on the Knights or some demo team.

Airborne jumps with T-10C or even MC1-1Bs are nothing like skydiving. Most Airborne jumps you exit the aircraft at 800 feet at night with a lot of heavy equipment and weapons tied to your body. You are also jumping with about 800 other people in the air with you.:S
Kevin

Muff Brother #4041
Team Dirty Sanchez #467

What's bringing this on?

My only concern for you, girl, is that you're so incredibly naive that you'll get taken advantage of immediately. As a commander, I'd have you in my office on day 1 giving you all the head's up on what some of those guys will try - especially in the barracks.

It's not easy. In my company of 176 I had 6 females and they were all very much respected because they were just as tough as half of the guys. Being assigned to an Airborne unit means you have to rise to certain standards. Not only is the jumping hard, but it's not just a jump. It's usally the follow-on mission that sucks. The foot march to a field site where you're going to set up camp and train on your war-time mission. The 20K yearly foot marches suck but that also means that you practice those weekly. You have to be able to run your 4 miles in 36 minutes over any terrain.

I don't know what you're looking for in life, Gail, but the Army Airborne is probably not it. Not that I don't think you're tough enough for it - I just don't think it will make you happy.

It looks to me like you're looking for a job, a way out, a way to make money. Why don't you think about what you can do that will make you happy? If the Army is it, that's great. Puruse it. But try to pick a job that will make you happy.

Good luck either way.:)

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here

gail, i am a rigger for air force spec ops. becomming a rigger is a way to be airborne and HALO/HAHO qualified. but you have to make sure if you go army...that you ask to become a rigger for spec ops in the army or air force or marines

Don't need to be in Special Ops in the Marines to be a rigger. ANGLICO or air delivery has riggers, both can go to HALO school once promted high enough.

Edited to add that Katie is right never join the service beause you want a job or you will make money. Your happiness should be the reason. First, you will not make money, second it is a tough lifestyle. Forget about the job, it is the everyday lifestyle that hammers most people. I speak form a Marine's stand point since we are so formal even in our off time.

The part that isn't always true is how hard it is to do the job. In the air wing side of things in the Marines, things are a bit lax compared to the division side of things. ANGLICO is not for the timid or the weak at heart. They are fleet Marine Force or otherwise ground pounders. Recon is a whole different ball game. In air delivery you won't do 20knt force marches.

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

Most Airborne jumps you exit the aircraft at 800 feet at night with a lot of heavy equipment and weapons tied to your body. You are also jumping with about 800 other people in the air with you.:S

Oh heck, that was the fun part!

I never did jump from 800 feet though. All our jumps were at least 1,200 feet AGL. Maybe things have changed, from back in the 70's. I've heard of people jumping from 500 ft. in combat, but noone I knew, back in the olden days, jumped below 1,200 ft. in training....Steve1

As a commander, I'd have you in my office on day 1 giving you all the head's up on what some of those guys will try - especially in the barracks....
Good luck either way.:)

Are you kidding... that's what makes the best video!!! choo choo...

JUST KIDDING. watch out for the barracks hoochies
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

so why be a "5-jump chump?"

Duh! For the badge! Officers love their many badges!

Yeah, I love them so much that I don't even bother to wear them.[:/]

Same here... No need to fort brag"g" about myself
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

one of these days i want to fly my canopy to a pt formation, that would be nuts

I have got to do a skydive acouple times right before an airborne jump before. I landed next to the manifest and chalks of watching people... (we were at a civi DZ that we used)
Leroy

I am a rigger that is both static line and HALO qualified as well as having four years time on the United States Army Special Operations Command Parachute Team. IF you have any questions Katie or Chuck can give you my number because I am currently living in their old house at Ft. Bragg.

I can't think right now, because I am in the mix!