reinhart36

Diablo 190.. Why discontinued?

Hi,

I've done some searching and reading on the Aerodyne Diablo main, and find that people generally tend to like it (depending on it's purpose).

I'm wondering why Aerodyne would discontinue it? Is there some problem with them that I'm unaware of?

A 2001 Diablo 190 is being offered to me with ~200 jumps on it for $600. Is this resonable?

I'm putting together my first rig. So far I have a '00 G3 container, a '00 Raven 218 reserve. I weigh about 175-185 lbs depending. Any opinions on this welcome!

thanks in advance for any input.

I would not recommend a Diablo for a new jumper at 30 jumps... or evena few hundred. They turn way too fast to be a good learning canopy.

I jumped a 170 for about 2 years. Enjoyed it, but not a canopy I( would recommend at your experience.

Look for Specters, Sabre2, Pilots and Safire (amongst others) of the same size.
Remster

The Diablo was a canopy with a extremely limited market. Its a fully elliptical canopy that is really designed for more experienced canopy pilots. The issue is that its a 7 cell so it does not have the glide ratio or the swooping ability that 9 cells tend to have. Its also an extremely fast turning canopy and does not really work that great as a high proformance swooping canopy since it has a shorter recovery arc then most other canopies do. It was almost a canopy with out a driving market.

I would pass on it as a first canopy. It is an agressive platform and there are much better canopies out there as a first canopy that are just as cheap.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Its a fully elliptical canopy

Just a semantic argument but I wouldn't call it fully elliptical. The front is square with an 'aggressive' taper in the rear. Sort of a funky planform - looks like a Spectre and a Velocity had a bastard love child...:D

I jump a diablo 190 and love it. Doesn't swoop for a plug nickel but I can get dizzy in a turn quick!

Agreed with everyone else though - not a good canopy for low jump numbers.
Scars remind us that the past is real

The Diablo was a canopy with a extremely limited market.

It was almost a canopy with out a driving market.

So, what/who exactly WAS the market? What was the intention then?

Probably something like:

Aerodyne Guy1: "Hey man, have you every seen a tapered 7 cell?"
Aerodyne Guy2: "No, and that dosen't make and sense. In fact it's a silly idea!"
AG1: "I know man, right? I'm a genius! No one would every think of such a silly idea! We'll be millionaires!"
AG2: "Uhh...."
A dolor netus non dui aliquet, sagittis felis sodales, dolor sociis mauris, vel eu libero cras. Interdum at. Eget habitasse elementum est.

I own a 190, it is not fully elliptical, it is considered SEMI-eliptical. It is VERY toggle sensitive and a bastard to control at first, I did a 2 spin toggle dive Saturday and lost 1500'.
As long as you do not make any hard turns under 250' you'll probably be alright. I am at a small DZ with very little traffic and I have been fine, talk to your instructor they will know whats best. It was discontinued because most people that fly a canopy like this want to swoop and the Diablo is not a good swooper so there was not much of a market for it!

I own a 190, it is not fully elliptical, it is considered SEMI-eliptical.

I don't know how it was marketed, but it is highly elliptical/high performance. And I think it's awesome you have one loaded at 1.16 at 18 jumps.

As long as you do not make any hard turns under 250' you'll probably be alright.

Cause no one has ever put themselves in line twists at 1000ft.

I am at a small DZ with very little traffic and I have been fine

Cause no one has ever hooked themselves in landing off on a wide open field with no one around.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

I absolutely love my Diablo. I think it is the best canopy Aerodyne ever made. I have several friends that jump Diablos and they all say the same thing....

Why did they stop making them?

I have a new one in my closet I am keeping as a back up for when this one wears out. You just can't buy then anymore.....

A Diablo is not fully eliptical, it is square in the front and eliptical in the tail. Very solid and very fast turning but it shuts down and flares much like a Triathlon. Definetly not a swoop canopy.

The material is the gelvenor which is so much easier to pack. And, the openings are soft and on heading. I love the Diablo for camera flying for this reason.

I agree at your wing loading and only 30 jumps the Diablo is a bit too agressive for you but after some more experience a 190 Diablo would be a great canopy.

Anyone who bad mouths Diablos has obviously never jumped one. The price you are quoting is about $1000 off the original price.

Buy it! They don't make them anymore and they are hard to find.

My Diablo still scares me, with its weight-sensitive openings. I'm used to jumping a same-size and one size bigger Vengeance (!) and Spectre, the Diablo gives me freaky openings every time. If anyone wants a Diablo 120 (with 100-150 jumps on it), let me know :S

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Thanks to everyone for their input.

I realize my jump numbers are low and a conservative canopy would be good.

Honestly though, the only thing that's really intimidating me about the sound of this canopy is that opening with twists or a loose toggle might be pretty spooky for me to deal with (resulting in immediate spinning).

Fast responsive turns sound good, and I've never had problems landing. I fly airplanes too, and I think it gave me a slight edge in that department.

Tempting as it is though, I should probably hunt down a triathlon..

You'd rather jump with a canopy less sensitive on opening.

There is a reason behind that some canopies not on the list of recommended under 250 or 500 or whatever number of jumps.

Although there are "full elliptical" canopies recommended even for lower jump numbers by the manufacturer.
E.g. Firebolt, Cobalt.

You'd rather jump with a canopy less sensitive on opening.

There is a reason behind that some canopies not on the list of recommended under 250 or 500 or whatever number of jumps.

I believe that. My comments above are just my thoughts, but I value your advice and will heed it.

thanks again!

Although there are "full elliptical" canopies recommended even for lower jump numbers by the manufacturer.
E.g. Firebolt, Cobalt.

If you were me, what would you be searching for? I want a fun but safe canopy ride. My only other criteria is that it fits in my G3 M6 size container (and cost of course)..

thanks!

Good canopies that will fit an M6 are:

Sabre 190/210
Sabre2 190/210
Spectre 190-230
Safire 209-229
Triathalon 190/210
Lotus 190
Pilot 190/210
Fusion 190/210

The Sabre is going to be one of the cheaper canopies on the list since its older.
Silhouette 190
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Fast responsive turns sound good, and I've never had problems landing. I fly airplanes too, and I think it gave me a slight edge in that department.

Dont kid yourself. You can apply power on a plane if you fucked up your approach.

And you only have made 30 landings on a parachute. The odds are, you havent encountered any obstacles (like people cutting you off). Turning to avoid them, even slightly, low with a Diablo will proabbly put you in a hospital if you are not VERY proficient at flat turns.

The turns on the Diablo arent just fast responsive turns: they are VERY fast, and make you loose alot of altitude.
Remster

Good canopies that will fit an M6 are:

Sabre 190/210
Sabre2 190/210
Spectre 190-230
Safire 209-229
Triathalon 190/210
Lotus 190
Pilot 190/210
Fusion 190/210

The Sabre is going to be one of the cheaper canopies on the list since its older.
Silhouette 190

Thanks Phreezone. Very helpful as always!

Don't worry you will have plenty of fun with any of the more conservative canopies listed above. If you start getting bored I would argue that you aren't flying them hard enough. My Pilot is tons of fun, but it is also very docile when I don't want to push it. :)
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Eric

Without getting in to the reasons for the Diablo being discontinued, I would like to suggest that in light of your jump numbers, exit weight and time in sport, you look at a suitable square canopy to demo and then depending on what you like work with your local distributor on buying one, or look for a good deal on a used on of your choice.

We run a great demo program here at Aerodyne and I would suggest you look at the Pilot 210 or 188 or Triathlon 210or 190 (ask your Inst first) to demo.

Give us a call at the office and chat to either me for additional info, or talk to Sandy Kimball about our demo program.

Blue Skies

Karl Meyer
Sales Representative
Aerodyne Research
Office: 1 813 891 6300
Mobile: 1 813 841 2149
[email protected]
www.flyaerodyne.com

If anyone wants a Diablo 120 (with 100-150 jumps on it), let me know :S

Damn, don't tempt me! I have a Diablo 120 for freefall (and maybe the occaisional cheeky 2-stack afterwards - but don't try this at home folks!) and love it, don't know what I'm going to get when it wears out. Like the previous poster, it would be nice to have a spare in the closet....if only there weren't so many events on this year [:/]

If you still have it next year, maybe I'll get in touch...

Martin

E.g. Firebolt, Cobalt.

Really? I've never heard that. I've always assumed that the Cobalt was a high performance canopy meant only for experienced pilots.

E.g. Firebolt, Cobalt.

Really? I've never heard that. I've always assumed that the Cobalt was a high performance canopy meant only for experienced pilots.

IMO it is. I've put a few jumps on a Cobalt 170 loaded at 1.2, which is the very bottom end of atair's wingloading recommendation chart, and I think it's way too agressive for a new jumper.