grue

Super mega awesome photo: F-15s doing an intercept on MiG-29s

I am no expert, but shouldn't the Mig outperform the F15 in a dogfight?

Sure and people on Velocities and VXs shouldn't get out swooped by a Katana or XF2. It still happens, though. Its a bit of luck with a bit of skill with the right tools.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

There are a lot of variables when comparing these two fighters, in the end it's most likely going to come down to who got the jump on who and which pilot is better. But looking at a few raw facts, the F15 was built for air superiority, it is made for dogfighting although it came out in a time where bigger is badder. The radar system in the F15 is conducive to detecting aircraft before they know you are their and they typically equip themselves with an armament capable of reaching out and giving a little love at a range where you haven't even begun to consider it to be a dogfight. In close though, the mig 29 is going to have the advantage(speaking solely on aircraft capabilities). The mig is much much smaller and lighter and greatly more manueverable. In terms of who can punch it out and make space the fastest, its been a while since i really studied my aircraft but i do know the 15 has enough ass behind it to accelerate going vertical. the direct comparison in aircraft for the mig 29 would be an f 16, but then again i've heard stories from some of our boys in 16's who said they were spanked by a 15 in training. So again i think it comes down to the pilot. On service ceilings though if i recall correctly the 15 will take it a bit higher.
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

I work on the avionics on F-15's and the biggest thing about the F-15 compared to enemy jets is that it has better avionics. In today's wars literally no one dog fights anymore they shoot or bomb eachother from a distance and the F-15 has got some arm length on the other guys. Plus they got these sweet pods where one F-15 can lock onto a guy and the other F-15 can fire the missle, and sweet jamming stuff that can make enemy aircraft think there are more aircraft coming towards them than there actually are, but most of the time the F-15 will take em down before they even know they're there. Also, the F-15 can shoot a satallite out of space, which may come in handy.
We die only once, but for such a very long time.

I'll believe in ghosts when I catch one in my teeth.

As I said, the F-15 rules the sky;), the real way for another aircraft to stand a chance would be to get in without bein seen, that would take some incredibly skilled nap of the earth flyin right there
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Also, the F-15 can shoot a satallite out of space, which may come in handy.

It would be even more handy if we had any of those missiles in the arsenal. The Pegasus has been out of the line-up since the 80s.:|

edit to add link about the MHV: http://www.fas.org/spp/military/program/asat/almv.htm A couple neat pictures there too.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

T In close though, the mig 29 is going to have the advantage(speaking solely on aircraft capabilities). The mig is much much smaller and lighter and greatly more manueverable.

Ooops, you're right. I misread the original post, and was thinking MIG-25, the old Foxbat, designed to take on the B-70 bombers that were never put into service. The MIG-29 is indeed a very capable air combat maneuverer. :$

We use to get private air shows over the reginal airport in Macon when they would get done rebuilding a 15 at the depot.Coool shit.

:D:Ddon't I know it... considering I was usually somewhere on the flightline they were taking off from... B|

If I was lucky they were performing their "show" (read flight testing) just as I was leaving for lunch... adding the rumble of the afterburners to the rumble in my stomach... :)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...