Loonix

Chemistry geeks? Hobby pyromaniacs? look here.

Well, I've noticed people around here having all sorts of obscure knowledge in various fields, so why not ask here when google isn't working out.

I want to make hydrogen and oxygen in a 2:1 mix, and only that, meaning no chlorine or other gasses in there. The methods of electrolysis I've seen either produces Cl as well, or not a 2:1 mix. How is it done? Preferably by using household or easily obtainable chemicals :)

I want to make hydrogen and oxygen in a 2:1 mix, and only that, meaning no chlorine or other gasses in there. The methods of electrolysis I've seen either produces Cl as well, or not a 2:1 mix. How is it done? Preferably by using household or easily obtainable chemicals

First, I'm wondering why you want gaseous hydrogen and oxygen in a 2:1 mix. Are you planning on making some kind of inscendiary device?

I assume you're getting chlorine because you're using table salt to increase the conductivity of the water during electrolysis. My suggestion would be to try using sodium hydroxide, instead. The oxygen you're forming is already coming from hydroxide ions and any sodium that you inadvertently reduce at the cathode will react with the surrounding water to produce hydrogen and replace the sodium ion you inadvertently reduced.

Note that I haven't tried this, but that was the thought that immediately came to mind when I saw this. You can get sodium hydroxide in drain cleaners such as draino, but they will typically also include sodum hypochlorite, also, which will probably contribute chlorine gas to the anode reaction, again. I'm not sure where you can get reasonably pure sodium hydroxide, but I doubt it would be too hard to find. It's also known as caustic soda or lye.

Planning to fill balloons with it, for starters ;) One with only hydrogen, and one with that, and a fuse... cheap fireworks for newyears :)
But me and some friends made a potatocannon a while ago just for fun. First buthane driven, but that didn't work well at all, so we tried gasouline vapour, which worked very well. Now we want to try this.

NaOH sounds reasonable yes, from what I can tell from my limited chemistry knowledge! Thanks. I will investegate!

Electrolysis(sp) two contacts in a container of water and sodium hydroxide(only need a drop or so of the latter), put a charge to it and watch the bubbles form. Atleast thats what i remember from highschool Chem. We filled plastic bottles with it and made loud noises. :) >:(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolysis_of_water
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

Viewing without comment;)

Somehow I knew someone would try to drag me in here.B|:)

Sorry, how many more years before the Statute Of Limitations runs out?
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

be carefull, a medim sized ballon with a hydrogen and oxy mix will be a much bigger bang than you think!! try just hydrogen, will be still be pretty loud and all ya need is sulfuric acid and zinc...... just watch the heat created durring the reacton, it can get HOT!

But me and some friends made a potatocannon a while ago just for fun. First buthane driven, but that didn't work well at all, so we tried gasouline vapour, which worked very well. Now we want to try this.

Dude, ive built a few potato cannons, use hairspray :D

I made mine with a electrical lighter switch in the back. Spray some hairspray in it, screw it up, and press the button ;)

That potato flies a long way!B|
Some dream of flying, i live the dream...

Dude, ive built a few potato cannons, use hairspray :D

I made mine with a electrical lighter switch in the back. Spray some hairspray in it, screw it up, and press the button ;)

That potato flies a long way!B|

Yup, but I can't imagine it's better than with the gasouline vapour.. The potato wasn't even on top of its curve before it was way out of sight ;) The cannon almost fell apart, and for some reason nobody else would dear to stand closer than 10 meters to me and my cannon on the next attempts :S

be carefull, a medim sized ballon with a hydrogen and oxy mix will be a much bigger bang than you think!! try just hydrogen, will be still be pretty loud and all ya need is sulfuric acid and zinc...... just watch the heat created durring the reacton, it can get HOT!

yes.. I haven't tried this stuff before, so I guess I'll start with very small amounts, and work my way up.. :) I did read a slightly worrying thing though, that static electricity from a balloon could be enough to ignite it..?! I guess I should start asking about ways to collect it, and transfer it to the potatocannon :)

I would go so far as to say(shudder, I cant believe I'm saying this) SAFETY FIRST. Whenever dealing with explosve elements, especially if you have not been properly trained (ok so much for the responsible Rainbo). Lets start by not trying to create fuel/air bombs in an uncontrolled environment. You do not need to be trying to make hydrogen for what you want to do. Acetylene (readily available if you even try to look) will do the job quite nicely it is much more stable until you are ready to make it go boom. We used to launch these sometimes at the FB convention and they will wake folks up. Big rubber punching ball and some hemp twine (a goodly length, test burn it vertically first to get a feel for the burn time). From here you should be able to figure the rest out:)
Rainbo
TheSpeedTriple - Speed is everything
"Blessed are those who can give without remembering, and take without forgetting."

Hydrogen and Oxygen will be hard to get and fill a balloon with. My favorite homemade gas bomb is to fill a trash bag with propane and toss it on a campfire. You don't get a big boom with that, just a massive fireball. Acetylene in a balloon works well for a boom, just find a welding tank...

"The cannon almost fell apart, and for some reason nobody else would dear to stand closer than 10 meters to me and my cannon on the next attempts"

Wrap that puppy in gaffers tape so WHEN it fragments there is less chance of involuntary body piercings.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

"The cannon almost fell apart, and for some reason nobody else would dear to stand closer than 10 meters to me and my cannon on the next attempts"

Wrap that puppy in gaffers tape so WHEN it fragments there is less chance of involuntary body piercings.

I did. Besides, it had a weak point in the back, so it would just be a fireball out there, no real explosion. I think. :b

fun with stuff that goes boom is great until ---

these types of gas bombs will lift the roof of a metal building and cause temporary deafness - at least a trash bag 1/2 full will do it to a 30x60 roof

PVC potato pipe guns become razor sharp projectiles - eventually

the guys that did this stuff wished they had listened to the advice that was offered
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

Seems to me there was a way to fill Trash bas with Acetelyne wrap the opening tight and shoot at it with bottle rockets or Roman Candles. I am trying to remember if it would float away I think so. Hell of a sight at night especially after a few beers too many. Ask the "HERD" about their cannon. It was a farmers Large Milk can they would fill with gas and blow the lid off with an igniter like Spud Guns And Barbecue Grills . Seems at Freakport or Quincy it came down through someones Motor home roof and buried it self edge wise in the table making the owners change to non-racing stripe under-wear. By the way we had used spray carburater cleaner as well in spud guns. Check the cost we didnt having to much fun for that. My high school chemistry teacher made an oxygen and hydrogen seperate generators feeding through delivery tubes rubber banded together into a pan of soapy water . nothing happened until he lit the bubbles with a candle. All the teachers stuck their heads out their doors to see Mr Branch waving and smiling.

That is way more than I was intending to keep in one place, and electrical ignition from a distance is already thought of.. :)

try some other powedered chemicals in with the gas, you can change the colours of the flame, with different chemicals
I do it as a demo for my year 9s all the time
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

If my memory serves me right it was at Freakport that that happened. But my memory does not always serve me correctly...;)
Rainbo
TheSpeedTriple - Speed is everything
"Blessed are those who can give without remembering, and take without forgetting."