lawrocket

The final blow towards soccer in the US

so did the wife but shes moved on and become a much better person:D

:D

So you must have the skinny tall body shape then being a hooker
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

What strikes me is this:

First, we have the Home Depot CEO who retired with a $210 million payment, after running a multi-billion dollar company with tens of thousands of employees. And everyone gets mightily upset about how horrible it is for him to walk away with that much money.

Then, we have this soccer star, who gets a $250 million contract for five years of play, and no one raises so much as a peep about what an obscene amount of money that is for someone to kick a little ball around the grass...

Erm, not really. I used to play scrum half too though. 6' 2" and 215 lbs.

Never been accused of being skinny anyway :D

Well skinny compared to me:D
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

John, I think you'll find that his contract is around 5 millions a year, but he insisted on 100% rights over all marketing spinoffs.

So soon you will be able to buy (not you personally) Action man Beckham dolls, Beckham keyfobs, Beckham bumper stickers.
the list is long and boring, but all this will add up to around 250mill or so they say.
I personally think you guys will get sick of him just as we did, or then again he may go on an get to be president :D

Gone fishing

Seriously, though, if it wasn't for the laws against collegate men's soccer, there would be a much larger surge of professional soccer players. There would be a larger fan base as well.

I think that law did good when it was implimented, but now its hurting sports overall.

There are laws against men's soccer in college? THat's odd, considering I played for four years.
cavete terrae.

David Beckham is being signed by the LA Galaxy. It is hoped that it will bring more excitement to soccer in the US. My personal belief is that Beckham is sick of a lack of privacy, and he hopes that his new job in America will allow him to at best be unnoticed in public, or, at worst, be mistaken for Kevin Federline.

Good luck to Beckham and American professional soccer. American soccer will certainly need it!

p.s. - I love soccer.

Similar situation with the New York Cosmos and Pele in the 70s when the North American Soccer League was in existance. Pele was on the downhill side of his career in Brazil but was signed for a huge, by the standards of those days, amount to try and increase interest in soccer in the US. Guess it didn't work seeing as the NASL went bust a couple of years later.
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

In the US there is. That's why no Division 1 school has a varsity men's soccer team. There's some men's soccer, but its not a varsity team, its a club sport. I'm trying to remember what it was called, Section 9 or something like that.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

In the US there is. That's why no Division 1 school has a varsity men's soccer team. There's some men's soccer, but its not a varsity team, its a club sport. I'm trying to remember what it was called, Section 9 or something like that.

Title IX, it just means that there must be an equal amount of men's and women's sports, to receive federal funding (if memory serves). Basically it just boils down to if they want to add an official men's soccer team, they have to add another women's sports team. Men have American football, women have soccer. Men have baseball, women have softball, etc.

My university did/does have a legitimate men's soccer team, of which I was captain. However, it was not Division I, nor was it NCAA for the matter (we were NAIA). When we added an American football team, we also added a women's tennis team.
cavete terrae.

This thing reminded me of Michael Jordan.
While he couldn't have sucked MORE at baseball, he did increase the fan base and interest in the sport when it needed it.

He most definitely did that, but at the Double A level. Played right there in Birmingham, AL. Even bought a fully-tricked-out team bus that I think is still in use by the Barons.

However, I think it was Bo Jackson that had more of an effect on MLB than Michael Jordan.

Both Michael J. and Bo J. trained in our school gym. So did Madonna and Geena Davis before making "A league of their own".

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

This thing reminded me of Michael Jordan.
While he couldn't have sucked MORE at baseball, he did increase the fan base and interest in the sport when it needed it.

If anything it made people laugh. Baseball did not need Jordan and it had no effect on the sport. The home run surge in the 90's brought the sport back to where it is today

Beckham only started in 5 of 20 games he played in for Madrid. He doesn't even start ! Sports talk said the interest in soccer is the same as it was 10 years ago. The sport is not growing in the US. He and his wife are past their prime. The NFL has nothing to worry about !

Yeah, Title IX. Right, on the surface it shows that there just has to be equal sports. Sounds great, right? Well it was needed back then. However, its grown to the point where its basically illegal for a Division I school to have a varsity men's soccer team. Why? A Division I school is basically already tapped out on varsity women's sports. They could start added obscure sports, but many don't meet the requirements for a varsity team sport.

My alma mater, UC Santa Barbara, won the NCAA Men's Soccer Championship about a month ago. We're Division 1. Plenty of schools have varsity soccer.

We also have no football team. BAck in 1992, the students voted to get rid of it and transfer the funding to club sports.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

My alma mater, UC Santa Barbara, won the NCAA Men's Soccer Championship about a month ago.

Not hard when you're the only team.:P

We're Division 1. Plenty of schools have varsity soccer.

I'm kind of wondering what "plenty" is as a number of Division 1 schools.

We also have no football team. BAck in 1992, the students voted to get rid of it and transfer the funding to club sports.

There's never been a riot at A&M, but that would cause one. I'm pretty sure the LA riots would have nothing on the one that would happen at A&M and all across TX if they got rid of our football program.:D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's never been a riot at A&M, but that would cause one. I'm pretty sure the LA riots would have nothing on the one that would happen at A&M and all across TX if they got rid of our football program.

A&M has a proud tradition of Aggie Football. UCSB had no proud tradition of Gaucho football. The problem was that our football team became required, by rule, to move up to 1A. That would have meant more moey from student fees. We said, "Screw that."

My wife is hotter than your wife.