freedom1

altimerter on commercial flight

Just curious about haveing my Alti in the non-pressurized cargo section of a commercial flight. Considering a crusing altitude of 38000 ft, would this at all affect the aneroid or is it built to withstand this type of high altitude?

CHEERS and BEERS

Just curious about haveing my Alti in the non-pressurized cargo section of a commercial flight. Considering a crusing altitude of 38000 ft, would this at all affect the aneroid or is it built to withstand this type of high altitude

all pressurized aircraft will have cargo area's pressurized also, this is where if you had a dog traveling they would put them.

you alti will only go up to about 6 to 7 grand at most.

later

My Altimaster II has been on several dozen commercial airline trips in both the cabin and the cargo hold with no ill-effects. The cargo holds are pressurized to the same altitude as the cabin - I have never had the alti read more than 7K pressure altitude in the cabin.

From the Alti-2 site, FAQ:

"Is it possible to over-rotate the needle past zero?

No, it is not possible to over-rotate the needle. You can turn it past 0 as many revolutions as you’d like. It does not matter which direction you turn to get to zero."
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

From the Alti-2 site, FAQ:

"Is it possible to over-rotate the needle past zero?

No, it is not possible to over-rotate the needle. You can turn it past 0 as many revolutions as you’d like. It does not matter which direction you turn to get to zero."

Rotating the needle doesn't change the internal aneroid pressure. Unlike a wristwatch which is reset by disengaging the hands from the works, rotating the altimeter needle rotates the works under the face. (Some of us remember SSE Altimaster-3s where the face rotated, not the gears. Same idea, just a different point of reference.)

So the question is still: How high can you go before you damage the aneroid or the gears?

Mark

Not sure if this is true with all digitals...but...

My neptune was checked luggage and still had the log feature engage. It logged the airline flight as a jump.

Just in case anyone didn't know this was gonna happen (which might have just been me)...

Best,
Dru
-
-
"Baseball is 90% mental. The other half is physical."

Memory is a little fuzzy but I thinks it stops or pegs out after 2 1/2 revolutions.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

I brought my altimeter on a commercial flight just to see to what altitude the cabin was pressurized (about 8000 feet on my flight). When I got back and talked to some people at the drop zone about it, I got the impression that a lot of people do that.

I think it worth mentioning that Jane Six-pack might see you looking at your alti with scary looking dials and red/yellow markings. It only takes one nervous old lady to cause a lot of grief. Better to not let anyone catch you looking.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I think it worth mentioning that Jane Six-pack might see you looking at your alti with scary looking dials and red/yellow markings. It only takes one nervous old lady to cause a lot of grief. Better to not let anyone catch you looking.

is this sort of worry even more paranoid than someone who would get afraid at seeing an altimeter?

Wouldn't someone 'discreetly' trying to look at an altimeter look far more suspicious, anyway?

Wouldn't someone 'discreetly' trying to look at an altimeter look far more suspicious, anyway?

I guess it is a little paranoid, but I put this in the same category as taking a rig onboard visible/on the shoulder. I know that I don't want to get security to notice me.

If the altimeter can't be seen except by you, then someone may wonder what you're looking at, but I don't think the curiosity would be as great compared to having an alti out for all to see.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I guess it is a little paranoid, but I put this in the same category as taking a rig onboard visible/on the shoulder. I know that I don't want to get security to notice me.

no one has freaked out yet in my presence. Your rig may be small enough and light enough to stuff in another bag. Mine isn't. I'm not going to worry about irrational fears.

so does your ditter go off when it is approximately 1000 ft?????

No, I turn it off when I leave the DZ.

Your rig may be small enough and light enough to stuff in another bag. Mine isn't. I'm not going to worry about irrational fears.

My rig is definitely not small, but no matter how big it is, you can put it in another bag. It is likely that you will someday run into a situation where you are told you must check in your rig to be placed with the rest of the baggage. It can be because your rig is bigger than the official limits, or because some nervous nellie notices you, or just because the security people are in a mood, but you'll regret not having a bag for it then.

So the question is still: How high can you go before you damage the aneroid or the gears?

More from the Alti-2 FAQ:

How high will my altimeter go? Can I take it on a commercial aircraft?

Operating range for the Altimaster II, Altimaster III, and Altimaster III Galaxy is up to 18,000’ MSL. The Altimaster Galaxy Stratosphere goes up to 30,000’ MSL.

Above operating range, the altitude will be incorrect, but this will not damage the alti. Once in the operating range again, your Altimaster will display the correct altitude.

It is safe to take your Altimaster on board a commercial flight, or check it in pressurized or non-pressurized baggage compartments. Make sure the altimeter is packaged safely, so it is not damaged in handling.
Blue Skies Mag

I have yet to have a major problem, but some suggestions:
Arive EARLY
No other carry-ons
Be prepared to repack it (or at least re-close it)
This includes the reserve, if not a rigger - it will require an AIR on the other end.
Gear Bag that meets the carry-on limit*
Be prepared with docs -
The airline's written policy
TSA's policy
USPA's documents on flying with rigs
FAA's policy on flying with rigs
The Cypres X-ray card
Your USPA membership/license card
Rigger ticket (if applicable)

MOST OF ALL:
FRIENDLY/HELPFUL ATTITUDE!!!

*I jump a Vector w/ Spectre230 and Fury220R. Fits in the carry-on limits just fine. Some puddle-jumpers require all carry-ons be hand loaded at the ramp (not technically "checked"), but have yet to have to actually check my rig.

Have fun!
JW

Your rig may be small enough and light enough to stuff in another bag. Mine isn't. I'm not going to worry about irrational fears.

My rig is definitely not small, but no matter how big it is, you can put it in another bag. It is likely that you will someday run into a situation where you are told you must check in your rig to be placed with the rest of the baggage. It can be because your rig is bigger than the official limits, or because some nervous nellie notices you, or just because the security people are in a mood, but you'll regret not having a bag for it then.

Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Thanks! I guess I could just RTFM, couldn't I?

Or I could have made the FAQ easier to find what you were looking for!

edit to add: that probably didn't make sense unless you knew that I used to work at Alti-2 and made that FAQ page :D Whatever you can't find on there, feel free to blame me now :)
Blue Skies Mag

Thanks! I guess I could just RTFM, couldn't I?

Or I could have made the FAQ easier to find what you were looking for!

edit to add: that probably didn't make sense unless you knew that I used to work at Alti-2 and made that FAQ page :D Whatever you can't find on there, feel free to blame me now :)

Doesn't matter to me that you did the first draft, it's the new guys problem now... blame Ray!

:o:D;)B|
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy