PhreeZone

How many jumps do you put on a container?

I'm a little courious about how often people replace their containers and for what reasons. I know more then enough of my friends have replaced them for downsizing and vanity reasons but I've only seen one that was replaced for wear reasons.

I'm looking to see how many jumps people typically are putting on their gear before they consider it worn out. I'm up to 1200 jumps on my first container still and will probally put another 300-500 on it with out a doubt.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

My Talon2 has over 4000 on it . My vector has 2200 ,its getting a little raggedy . I asked Sandy Reid what the life span of a pilot chute was ? he said 600 to 700. Mine had 1300 at the time .He could sell me another one if it wasnt working OK . he saw it again at 2000 and moved the knot on the shock cord a half inch. At his request I sent it to him when it was retired at 2300, to show his student riggers what wear and tear of those jumps did to nylon.In the check box for material . I wrote you pick I abuse gear Its worked great ever since. If you are only making a fashion statement go ahead change . I would rather jump more.

I've got around 1000 jumps on my harness/container and its far from being worn out, infact it even still looks really good. I've had to replace components due to wear, but that's typical. I might buy a new rig next year, but that's due to some other factors besides size and wear and fasion.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

# of Rigs I own = 3

Reasons I've replaced #1 & #2...

Rig #1, a Vector 2, back in 94, was stolen from me when it had something like 100 - 200 jumps on it... (I still own it, I just don't know where it is) :(... ergo, I bought Rig #2, a 94 Talon.

Rig #2, a 94 Talon has something like 2000+ jumps on it... I still have my 94 Talon and jump it occassionally, but it went to "back-up rig status" when I purchased Rig #3, a Javelin J3K in 2003.

Rig #3... my J3K... now has something like 600 jumps on it.

Sooo... for me... I've replaced 1 rig because of theft... and one other rig because it had, say, 2000 jumps on it.

My Vector 3 is well over 1000 jumps by now (700 by me, 500-ish by the previous owner). It's still going strong. Downsizing will be what forces me to get a new container. I have an airlocked 135 in it right now, and the loop is almost as short as I can get it.

I'm a little courious about how often people replace their containers and for what reasons. I know more then enough of my friends have replaced them for downsizing and vanity reasons but I've only seen one that was replaced for wear reasons.

I'm looking to see how many jumps people typically are putting on their gear before they consider it worn out. I'm up to 1200 jumps on my first container still and will probally put another 300-500 on it with out a doubt.

Put >1000 on a Vector I - finally retired due to main container corner seporating for the second time. (too large a main for too long). Note: reharnessed at ~500

Put >800 on a Vector II - currently in use. Note: reharnessed at ~500

Stopped servicing a Jav (1989) that has ~1100. One reason that will not service is the condition of the harness.

A friend/rigger has his Sweethog with ~1000 jumps on the original container/harness.

TO AN EXTENT, as long as the container still... "contains"... and is in reasonable condition, I'm OK with it. (It must also fit the canopies and intended use... i.e. see discussions about freefly with old Vectors) But I am VERY picky about issues with the harness.

It seems to me that the failure modes of the container are not likely to be airborn. HOWEVER, the failure of a harness is not something I am willing to chance.

Just my $.02
JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Why did you feel it necessary for the V1 and V2 you mention be reharnessed at only apx 500 jumps? The reason I ask is... I'd venture to say / guess that a precautionary reharness at only 500 jumps is way way way consevative... or was there some sort of "wear", which, at only 500 jumps seems more "not normal"... I'm currious...

... same goes for the Jav with about 1100 jumps you mention ... I wouldn't expect a Jav with that number of jumps to have excessive harness wear under normal use / care... again, I'm currious.

Any pictures???

There's folks out there that do 1000 jumps in a year... or 1000+ jumps within 2 years, easy... are you saying if they've done that all on the same rig... their harness is ragged out... I'm sure it might be, depending on what's going on, but are you saying it is... I'm confused... :S

Why did you feel it necessary for the V1 and V2 you mention be reharnessed at only apx 500 jumps? The reason I ask is... I'd venture to say / guess that a precautionary reharness at only 500 jumps is way way way consevative... or was there some sort of "wear", which, at only 500 jumps seems more "not normal"... I'm currious...

... same goes for the Jav with about 1100 jumps you mention ... I wouldn't expect a Jav with that number of jumps to have excessive harness wear under normal use / care... again, I'm currious.

Any pictures???

There's folks out there that do 1000 jumps in a year... or 1000+ jumps within 2 years, easy... are you saying if they've done that all on the same rig... their harness is ragged out... I'm sure it might be, depending on what's going on, but are you saying it is... I'm confused... :S

Each rig, seporate case...
(and yes, I am conservative to boot)

V1 - 2nd hand rig, MLW too short, adding 4 rings to MLW for special cut-away system design. Rather than mod the old, we redesigned and built the changes in.

V2 - 1st hand rig, unusual hardware wear on leg straps, wanted to perform same mods as on V1 (V1 being retired for issues on the main container that would not be happy being fixed again... though there were other reasons too.)

Jav - broken selvedge thread at leg strap friction adapter and (almost) broken stiches at hip junction, along with other general wear. With this rig, it is a couple specific spots combined with overall condition.

From what I have seen, I would not say that 1-2000 jumps is necessarily ragged out. I do think that use, age, original fabric coatings, washing, user care, hardware, and environmental exposure (sun, salt, chemicals, sand) all play into the condition of the system.

Didn't mean to imply that 500 was any kind of limit on the harness.

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

I've got about 600 on mine and it still looks nearly new. The only real wear at all is a few strands of thread on the Odyssey logo came out, and the BOC pouch is a little loose. Also the elastic brake line keeper on my risers are starting to tear. Everything else is nearly perfect. Downsizing will be the reason I get a new one, but that won't be for a while.