Yossarian

Your favourite optional extras....

looking at buying a rig (wings with pilot 168) and am constrained by budget, but there are so many attractive looking optional extras to be had and i dont know which to get as all of them add up to a sizeable amount. what do people really like in optional extras (from safety considerations to aesthetics)?
im so far going for;
Vigil
RSL
Cushioned back padding
hackey

as far as i can tell collapsable pilot chute wont do much for the performance of a 168 (i have no swooping aspirations) and just adds another dimension for packing, and personalised monograms on the MLW reduce the value of resale, although im considering getting 'plan b' put on the cutaway handle...

Wings - Great choice!
Pilot - another excellent choice
Vigil, well an Argus does all the same and more and is more cost effective.
RSL - the big debate, but with your experiance a good choice.
Quilted backpad - not nesseccary. Wings are an extremely comfortable rig.
Hackey - personal preferance but I realy like the security of the freefly pud. no movement at all and covers the mouth of the BOC

other options--
I like the spandex BOC-no extra cost and no need to ever replace. Most BOC's are spandex and take a fair bit of wear and tear on the ground or the plane.
ask for the Anti-Line twist D-bag at no extra cost either. a triangular flap that is attached to the bag and the bridal giving an equal spread of force along the long side of the bag at deployment instead of just on the bridal.

Mud-flap hook knife would be the only option I would consider important that you dont have down already

Cut in laterals if the budget will stretch to it or look for the specials that are on offer and you might get them for free.

Enjoy your new rig
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

I'd get a collapsible pilotchute (you will notice the difference plus later resale value), but without the hackey (the tube thing is much better for wingsuiting), and an Argus (Vigil has had way more problems). RSL, sure. Don't know about the backpadding.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

as far as i can tell collapsable pilot chute wont do much for the performance of a 168

Really? I had some problem with my kill-line PC, it was not collapsing. I got really poor and shitty landing those time. It can me difference even on a 168. Speed is flare power, why do you and to pull an anchor after yourself?

Speed is flare power, why do you and to pull an anchor after yourself?

Its not just that, although that is a factor.

The drag of the uncollapsed PC is altering the shape of your top skin, changing the shape of your wing.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

So kill-line or not?

Get a kill-line. For your typical skydiving sport canopies at typical skydiving wingloadings (.8 and up), it will make a difference. It might not be that much, but there's a difference.

Besides, it gives you the joy of possibly having a collapsed PC in tow.:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

So kill-line or not?

Get a kill-line. For your typical skydiving sport canopies at typical skydiving wingloadings (.8 and up), it will make a difference. It might not be that much, but there's a difference.

Plus I would think that it's best to get the cocking habit ingrained ASAP?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

It might not be that much, but there's a difference.

I had a 32" PC trailing behind me about 10 times. It made a big difference.

Besides, it gives you the joy of possibly having a collapsed PC in tow.Tongue

I'm sure I deserve it if I have one.;)
Let me think: I check it 3-4 time only by packing.

Get the kill line p/c and get hip rings on the harness. The rings will make you more comfortable. The collapsible p/c allows your canopy to fly without dragging around an inflated "sky anchor" - you want this, even if you don't ever plan to swoop.

You can do without the back padding and hackey if money is an issue - the back padding doesn't add that much comfort considering how much they want for it and the hackey is pretty much a cosmetic option (the standard plastic handle works fine). The kill line p/c and hip rings will make the rig much more attractive for resale if/when you sell it.

One note on custom embroidery - it's your rig, if you want stuff embroidered on it, get it. The ring covers (mud flaps) and cutaway handle are easily replaced if a buyer doesn't like whatever you put on there.

buy the standard PC and convert it later. It isn't that difficult to do and may cost you less. talk to your maste rigger first before doing that.

I have a cushioned back pad on my rig but I don't notice it really. The only real use I see is that it would be more confortable in the plane but think about how that sounds. Lots of things make it unconfortable in the plane and a back pad may not solve it in my opinion.

RSL good
Vigil good

Plan on doing any free flying? maybe look into getting a free fly handle. I have one and I'm glad I got it. Even if I don't free fly I'm more relaxed about my PC wiggleing out before I want it to whether in the plane or in the air.

I think hip rings are a plus but right now I think oly Icon offers it as standard for no extra cost.

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

If you can't get exactly the options you want right now due to cashflow, don't buy new.

Keep with the used rigs until you can get what you want exactly as you want it.

I like the cut-in back, fully articulated, pud, kill line.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

im not concerned with the good looking stuff so much (although im gonna steer clear of luminous pink...) but resale and comfort are big ones (i dont even mention safety its that obvious) ive looked again at the options and the freefly pud is the same price as the hackey. i think a problem at the moment is all the prices are US$ and therefore look expensive ($60 for a kill line) but thats actually not much over £30 so i may get theat for resale value.

another question, some of you mentioned argus? pros and cons? ive never met anybody with one

Not sure what I could add that hasn't been mentioned already, except for the following (and these are just personal choices...) 1) standard size 3-ring, not the mini's. With full size, you can easily demo other canopies as your skills progress without the hassle of swapping out risers. 2) Type 17 chest strap (2"), not the Type 8 (1"). This will make it much easier for a chest mount alti to stay where you want it (if you go that route). I'm actually in the process of having my chest strap converted over...

These are just my opinions... your milage may vary. ;)

ive never used a chest mount, although i like the idea of CRW eventually, but i suppose for that i wouldnt be flying a pilot 168 (my other option is a triathlon 170, flown one a few times and i really like it, but its not part of the deal sunshine factory are offering, reason im going with them is a long story that bears no relevance to what i choose as extras to my rig)

thanks to all of your advice my choices are now the following;
vigil
RSL
fully artic
stainless
collapsable PC
ff pud

god i wish i had money

See if you can try out the freefly handle before you decide to purchase one. I don't like the feel of them but I am not a freeflyer.

On the other hand a lot of the freeflyers at the drop zones I jump at don't like them either, and feel that a hackey and a properly packed PC is perfectly safe.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

2) Type 17 chest strap (2"), not the Type 8 (1")

not to be picky but tis the other way around.

Type 17 = 1"
Type 8 = 2"

not ever really noticed a difference myself for comfort though i have heard many say that they prefer the type 8 for comfort and the Type 17 for looks. Same as the riser debate really I guess.
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.