marinho

I had a malfunction and...

RR#1 Wingsuit jumps pilot hesitation which then open into line twist followed by spiral - (2006-11-11)

p.s Thanks to my wingman for following me to my off DZ landing to check that I am okay and checking where main and free bag landed.

Since I have had a canopy backwards I got anohter container and have two ris so I am not swapping canopies anymore much less while still packed in the D-bag.

Have you used a special "swap"-bag for that?

I had 30+ swaps so far. I made a swap bag for that. Risers are locked against the top of the bag and D-bag can not freely move inside the bag either. There is still a little risk of incorrect re-attachment, so I repacked it if I had time.

Why dont you tell us how you packed that heatwave after Citrusdal boogie that caused the spinner

HAHAHAHAHA you bastard. You're one of the few people that know the story :D:D:D

Hope you're well!

Blues,
Ian
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao-Tzu

It's all good, they're my brothers ~ Mariann Kramer

Would a bit lighter mounting of newton sight help the situation?
I know things won't break if they suppose to...

As written in the Incidents thread, YES, nylon screws would have helped a lot (well at least certainly more than stainless steel screws)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

2 who-knows-what malfunctions with steering lines and canopy fouled on my Starlite
2 pilot chutes in tow. One with a ragged-out A3 I'd converted to a throw-out, and one with a homemade square pilot chute.
1 total when I couldn't get the pud out on an old Racer.
2 spinners of some sort on a Firefly
1 hard pull in a BOC
1 fired brake/line twists/spinner on a Diablo. Bigway, I was low, so I chopped
1 linetwists/spinner of unknown origin on the same Diablo. Bigway, I was low, so I chopped.

The last malfunction would have been salvageable if I hadn't been low, but the Diablo goes down really fast in a turn.

And yes, I did used to experiment with my gear

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Since I have had a canopy backwards I got anohter container and have two ris so I am not swapping canopies anymore much less while still packed in the D-bag.

Have you used a special "swap"-bag for that?

I had 30+ swaps so far. I made a swap bag for that. Risers are locked against the top of the bag and D-bag can not freely move inside the bag either. There is still a little risk of incorrect re-attachment, so I repacked it if I had time.

Nah I just got a second continer for CRW and I don't swap my free fall canopy and my CRW canopy anymore. One rig for each discipline.

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

RR # 1 cutaway a French Papillon using shot and a half capewells. 26ft navy conical reserve. ( had switched out the main in my container, with this second bagged canopy, lines were criss-crossed.) jump# 525. .....1976

RR # 2 Total. on a H & P .. pulled reserve blasthandle.. ( had trouble extracting belly-band mounted PC)...'77

RR # 3 Twisted that same belly band, deployed into a PC in tow,,, with pulled trough the twist, enough to extract the closing pin,,,, Bad got out of container, Canopy did not get outta bag. Pulled blasthandle. Got Lucky...'78

RR # 4 Cutaway a strato cloud that had a steering line which was knotted up. 3 rings 26' Strong Lopo circa 1980...

RR # 5 dislocated rt shoulder at exit.... Pulled reserve left handed at 3 grand... ok landing july 2005. First square reserve ride.

RR #6 total. could not find/reach PC handle. pulled reserve left handed...sept '06...( coincidentally my most recent skydive ) [:/]:S

jmy

1 - FXC fired at 2500 ft or so, same time I pulled my main, 2 out later downplaned on me so chopped main at 1000 ft.
2 - spinning mal on safire 135 probably due to slider collapse lines being too long and entangling with canopy lines, fixed these after the mal :S
3 - line over on sabre 135, was borrowed canopy, I returned it after the 2nd jump due to a few lines going the wrong way :D
4 - spinning mal on spectre 135 (WTF?!?) don't know why, was lowish already so was quick to say bye-bye
5 - total mal, pilotchute stuck in pocket, not spectre's fault.....

Hmm I seem to have a problem with non-hp size 135 canopies :S:D
No serious problems with my vengeance or with CRW canopies :S

edit: and 2 intentionals in between, and 2 days of crw (filming) jumps on a demo PD126R ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

RR#1- Way hard pull on a very early belly band mounted hand deploy - 26ft Lopo reserve
RR#2- Early square jump, couldn't release the brake on one side - 26ft Lopo reserve
RR#3 - Premature container opening... here's the story behind it - 26ft Lopo reserve
RR#4 - Broken steering line wrapped around some C-D lines - 180sft Safety Star reserve
RR#5 - Line twist... lots and lots of line twists! - PD193R reserve (by far the best reserve of all my rides!)

Oh well, at least I never had to use the one in the picture!

I had only one malfunction, my reserve came out as I was exiting a cessna 182 wrapping with the tail and then spiraling to the ground. 4 months later and some rehab I am back to work on light duty but unfortunetly my jumping days are over due to the back repair, but if I could i would be jumping tommorrow. BLUE SKYS
STEP OUT AND FEEL THE RUSH!!!! LATER
SKYBOMB

I had only one malfunction, my reserve came out as I was exiting a cessna 182 wrapping with the tail and then spiraling to the ground. 4 months later and some rehab I am back to work on light duty but unfortunetly my jumping days are over due to the back repair, but if I could i would be jumping tommorrow. BLUE SKYS

Good to hear after seeing the reserve damage here in the shop! Pretty much destroyed the thing..not much left!

Cheers,
MEL

Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

4 months later and some rehab I am back to work on light duty but unfortunetly my jumping days are over due to the back repair, but if I could i would be jumping tommorrow.

I'm glad to hear you're ok! Going back to work is the most important thing in life!

I have a few friends that went through the same situation (skydiving related accidents)and I always tell them that, if you're able to work, you're doing great!

Cheers,

Gus Marinho

#1 (jump ~23) - hard pull (Cordura ROL) to Fury220
#2 (jump ~850) - PIT -> hard open -> two out... released main to a different Fury220

As to intentionals:
~5 from Cruislite XL's (packed in old chest rig)
~20 from NavAir 24 (packed in old chest rig)
2 from Strong LoPo (packed in Strong Starmaker Chest Reserve container)

Tip: opening a round/chest by choice is an action best left to the sub-terminal speeds :o

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...