Michele

If I were to go tripping -

If I were to go road tripping, say for about 10 days in June, starting in Los Angeles and going to Yellowstone, The Grand Tetons, The Grand Canyon, and The Redwood Forests, which route would you plan for me?

What campgrounds would be good for a single woman, or would motels be better? Cheaper the better, as me's just a starving student...

But a neighbor put the idea in my head...me, my camera, and the Honda S2000, top down, cruising away for a few days' respite after a grueling year in school...shutterbugging my way through some of the most gorgeous scenery on this side of the US.

Right now I'm just dreamin', but if anyone has any advice and/or hints and/or must see/must NOT go to's, lemme know. 'Cause if I can, I'm making this happen.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

That subject line means somthing so much different to me:D:D:D:D
I thought WTF, you tripping, man that would be out of character for you:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Right now I'm just dreamin', but if anyone has any advice and/or hints and/or must see/must NOT go to's, lemme know. 'Cause if I can, I'm making this happen.

Don't say "if", say "I'm going"! It sounds like a great trip, make it happen.

I don't know the area well, so I don't have any advice for your trip planning. I just wanted you to change your wording. ;)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Squeak and Unformed, you don't really believe the wording was...accidental or something, do you? LOLOLOL!!!

Actually, even if I wanted to get high, I don't know anyone who does pot let alone any of the other drugs. So I'd be SOL. I do drink...but right now, I'm backed up in my studies, so no play time...next Friday night, however....watch out!!! This girl is getting a margarita or 5!!!

Mama, you're right; it's in the wording. But as a poor college student these days, I'm still in the "if" stage. Not even near the "hey, maybe I *can* do this" stage.
So, for the moment, I'm just dreamin.

My real dream would be to go on a 7 day Alaskan cruise on a smaller ship, but that runs a girl about $5,000...(the smaller ships are quite more expensive, but much better for me and my mind). That's what I'd adore doing this early summer - cruising through Alaska on a smaller ship, and be able to actually get some time with some of the park rangers that go on these smaller ships. And I'd take the train up and back - talk about a gorgeous trip with incredible photo ops.

But anyway...back to the National Parks thing...it is some gorgeous, breathtaking scenery; and I'd love to do the trip not just because of the photo ops but also because of the necessary down time.

No help from anyone? I know it's the weekend...and it's lovely weather...so I'll be patient. It's still just a dream anyway.

Ciels-
Michele

If you're just goin for the scenery then I'm sure you can find some cookie cutter "See all the sights in 7 days or less" travel plan anywhere on the web. Something that'll tell you all the major freeway exits, and where you're sure to find plenty of stereotypical vacationing Americans.

However, if you're going for the full-on road trip experience then you should take nothing but the basic survival provisions and a compass. Maps are over-rated and complicated anyway!
Is it 20 miles to the next town or not? Who knows how far it is?! Everything's so damn close together!

But seriously, if a thing is worth doing, t's worth doing right!
Working for a better world.

Agreed - but I'm one of those kinds of single women that think perhaps some maps might be really good...and yes, I can read them; as well as a small tent and a sleeping bag.

I'm not looking for what everyone else does; I'm looking for away time, and me time. And time behind the camera, and time to contemplate the fuzz in my navel. That's not a 7-day cookie cutter kinda thing, you know?

I really don't want to contend with crowds, either...I mean, if I want a crowd, all I have to do is go outside my own house. Or get on the freeway at rush hour. LOL. Nah, some quiet time is what I want...

I'm considering all aspects of this, with some help from a friend or two. I'm thinking it through, and being cautious while at the same time itching to drop the top and just go. 'Course, that's probably the exam stress; but that won't let up until June at the earliest.

Dunno just what yet. But somewhere, no doubt.

Ciels-
Michele

Hopefully you can make it happen! If you do go, do some research about the primary features of the parks you are going to and when their peak times are. On a Saturday afternoon in Yellowstone you can feel like you are in the middle of Disney World, but hit some of those high use areas at sunrise on a Tuesday and you could have the place to yourself.

Whatever you do, take your time and take in everything around you. I've found I get a lot more out of trips like this if I focus my energy on getting as much as I can out of a few destinations vs. just scratching the surface of a whole bunch.

Have fun! :)
Killing threads since 2004.

Hey, feel free to come by our house if you need home cooked meals and a free place to stay, and I'll even throw in some free photography help/critiques.

We (my wife and I) are about 5 hours south of the grand canyon, 3 hours south of Sedona, and most importantly 10 minutes away from Skydive AZ. What trip through the West would be complete without stopping in at Eloy?

We have 2 extra bedrooms in our house, often home to wayward skydivers.

let me know WHEN you are coming by.

jeff D-16906

If I were to go road tripping, say for about 10 days in June, starting in Los Angeles and going to Yellowstone, The Grand Tetons, The Grand Canyon, and The Redwood Forests, which route would you plan for me?

What campgrounds would be good for a single woman, or would motels be better? Cheaper the better, as me's just a starving student...

You only have 5 miles to my house...walk here first. :)

But a neighbor put the idea in my head...me, my camera, and the Honda S2000, top down, cruising away for a few days' respite after a grueling year in school...shutterbugging my way through some of the most gorgeous scenery on this side of the US.

Ciels-
Michele

Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

You only have 5 miles to my house...walk here first.

Shoot, darlin. We really need to get together for coffee...

But no, I'm not walking. I'll drive, thank you very much! LOL!

Ciels-
Michele

However, if you're going for the full-on road trip experience then you should take nothing but the basic survival provisions and a compass. Maps are over-rated and complicated anyway!
Is it 20 miles to the next town or not? Who knows how far it is?! Everything's so damn close together!

And if you really want to make it exciting, keep your gas tank only 1/4 full. ;)

Which redwood forests are you talking about? the ones in California?

I've spent quite a lot of time up in Yellowstone/Tetons. June is a pretty sucky month. The place is crawling with both mosquitos and tourists. I'd suggest April or late August if you really want to be able to enjoy the parks and not get eaten alive or smothered by crowds. No matter when you go, it will rain. Plan for it. The weather is shorts/t-shirt during the day, and parka/ugg boots at night. If you stay in a tent, bring a very, very good sleeping bag, or you will freeze. I'd suggest a cabin/inn room if you can afford it.

YELLOWSTONE:

If you really want to see Yellowstone, you need a week. You could spend three weeks there and still not see everything (I've done that, and there was still stuff I really wanted to do).

Good places to stay: Old Faithful Inn, if you can afford it. Big log inn, huge fireplace, beautiful view of the geysers. Otherwise, second choice would be the cabins up at Roosevelt. Roosevelt is a very quiet area. Lots of hiking and fishing, and wolves. Roosevelt area is probably the best wildlife area in the park, but it is far away from the geysers. Third choice would be Lake Lodge Cabins. Campgrounds are usually booked a long time in advance. There are a few that don't take reservations, but those tend to fill up quickly also, so you can't count on getting a spot.

Stuff you must do:

Mud Volcano Area: 3 hours, tops. See Dragon's Mouth Spring and the other features of the area.

Spend a day or two walking the upper and lower geyser basins. Find out when the best geysers are errupting (old faithful, grand, castle) and make a point to watch. Buy the book called "Geysers of Yellowstone". It'll tell you the stories behind all the names of the geysers and hot springs, and give you good advice.

Spend a few hours at Mammoth Hot Springs. 3-4 hours is plenty.

Drive the Lamar Valley, and if you see a park ranger on the hill with a scope, stop. They're watching for wolves. The valley is beautiful and quiet, so it's a good place to relax. Spend the afternoon/evening here. Lamar is right near Roosevelt, and Roosevelt is THE place for quiet time. No crowds, beautiful one hour hikes, gorgeous waterfalls.

Spend an evening at Old Faithful Inn/Lodge area. Watch the moonrise over the geyser.

See the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone and Yellowstone Falls. Two hours, tops, but pretty amazing. Best in the morning.

Stuff you should do if you can:

Horseback ride out of Roosevelt and see the back country.

Spend some time at Lake Lodge in the evening.

TETONS

Don't stay in Tetons. A day trip down there is plenty. It's more of a backpacker's park. Everything that can be seen within brief walking distance from the road can be done in one day. Bring your camera. Lots of wildlife. Your park pass into Yellowstone will also get you into Tetons.

The absolute best way to see Tetonsis to take a "Float Trip" down the Snake River. There's no rapids on that stretch of river, and you'll see some really amazing wildlife. The raft companies are all based out of Jackson. I usually do a float trip in the morning, and then hit the whitewater on the lower part of the snake in the afternoon. It's well worth the money.

GRAND CANYON:

Three days, tops. Spend one day at the North Rim, and the next day or two at the south rim. There's camping at South, so plan on seeing North, and then driving and setting up camp at South.

Other places you might want to stop:

Bryce Canyon and Zion Nat'l Parks in Utah. 1-2 days each. Small parks, but gorgeous.

I agree with Andrea. Call it a dream and that's all it will ever be. Make solid plans and you'll find a way to make it happen.

I'd suggest fewer places on the intinerary so you can spend more time in each one. The Grand Canyon is close enough that you can do it for a few days (midweek) anytime. You can make Grand Teton/Yellowstone in two days if you shoot up the interstates - and the scenery is stunning even from the interstate, you might want to take three days to drive it.

Once you're in the National Park areas camping is easy and safe. Load up on whatever food supplies you're gonna need at a supermarket before you enter the park(s). I prefer motels for interstate travel - there are KOA (Kampground of America) RV parks/campgrounds that have tent areas, but the highway noise tends to be nearby and pretty loud and many of them charge up to $20 a night. Motel 6 is everywhere and outside California runs $30-40 a night. When you're coming down the coast through the Redwoods there will be lots of state park and USFS campgrounds along the way.

Make it happen. Solo road trips are a lot of fun. B|

Squeak and Unformed, you don't really believe the wording was...accidental or something, do you? LOLOLOL!!!

Actually, even if I wanted to get high, I don't know anyone who does pot let alone any of the other drugs.

So - you want us to believe that you don't know ANY freefliers.:|
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

you want us to believe that you don't know ANY freefliers.

I know quite a few FFs...but...well, see, I'm just not the one they invite to party with. LOL, and the one who has invited me to party just drinks.

Besides, unless I had a ride home, I'd not undertake the 100 minute drive under the influence of anything. Not safe, not smart, and just not the right thing to do.

Ciels-
Michele

Lis, in considering how to actually do this, and manage to get the cats taken care of, and swing it financially...I have already had to cut it down from a 10 day escape to about 6...7 if I can get someone to feed the kitties.

So at the moment, what I'm seriously considering is a week in Yellowstone, or 5 days in Yellowstone and the redwood forests of northern California as a "drive through" on the way home.

There is so much to see, to do, to experience. I know I need about 3 months to get the original trip done the way it should be done, so I'm thinking about "small bites" as I don't see me being able to go away for 3 months at this point in time.

thanks for the advice - from one who's done it...I appreciate it.

Ciels-
Michele

Kris, thank you for the ideas. I've been looking at Roosevelt, as it does provide less of the beaten path, and more of the quietness I want. The park's stuff can be accessed by car, and since I'm driving up, I can get there easily.

I really want the wildlife and the quietness. I don't need fancy meals or big picture windows - I'll just sit outside if I want to look.

as for the weather, I love the rain, and the storms. I'm hoping for that, you know? It will be a great difference from smoggy, hot Los Angeles...and I crave that.

Thanks for the tips as to what to see, as well. I'm more likely just to lurk on Fishing Bridge with my camera at dawn trying to see some bears eating breakfast than I am to tool around the giftshops, so I'm thinking that the northeast area is going to be where I end up.

Keep the advice coming - I appreciate it, and it's helping.

Ciels-
Michele

Righty-o.

Hey. A woman needs a car. She needs a damned fine car. Especially when it's going to be the only pleasure over the next 4+ years...

And I am poor; the payments are making me so. ROFL.

Ciels-
Michele

Oh well. Just checked the rooms available; I can't afford those that are, and the dates are wonky as well. [:/]>:( Nothing in June, and I need to take some classes over summer...so...well...apparently you have to plan like a year in advance. And right now, my schedule won't allow that.

I'll just figure something else out. Damn. I didn't realize how much I wanted this escape until I figured out I can't have it.

Oh well. there are other options. I can always go visit my brother in Oregon, you know? He's got a room, and it's gorgeous up there. That might be what I end up doing.

Damned damned damned it all.

Ciels-
Michele