Scoop

Short reserve cable

I'm going to the DZ and will speak to my rigger then but it appears that my reserve cable doesn't have much slack through the D handle.

I suspect it might be something to do with either my measuring or my body shape (large) but when I actually do the rig up the length exposed dramatically reduces. I probably only have an inch or so. The pin sits fine in the closing loop, its not halfway down the shaft or anything like that.

My concern is that having fun with people holding onto lift webs etc I could suffer a premature deployment. Obviously I don't want that.

Are reserve cables various lengths? Do you buy one and have rigger trim it to required length? The rig seems to fit nicely, its very comfortable so I'm not concerned about the fit although I may have measured it a tiny bit too small over the shoulders I think, possibly causing this problem.

Its a Wings container with 210 Silhouette main and Maverick 200 reserve. I'll try to post pics to better explain.

EDIT: Added photos, sorry they are blurry, seems my camera doesn't like close ups whatever settings I use.

Does the cable run straight from the end of the housing to the closing loop? Sometimes there is a little slack hidden by the reserve top flap. Try pulling all the slack out by holding the pin with one hand and pulling on the handle end of the ripcord with the other hand.

Mark

It appears somewhat on the short side.

Reserve cable lengths cannot be adjusted by most riggers in the field. There are made using a swaging process to attach the pin and ball. Many (some?) manufacturers don't make their own ripcords. The contract that out to one of a few companies. The ripcord supplied should have been appropriate for the rig. They do vary with rig and size. If it's not the original one, one of a shorter length may have been substituted. I'd contact your manufacture with the serial number of the rig and the length of the ripcord (hard to measure when packed:P) and see if it is the appropriate length.

One test is to pick the rig up by the left shoulder webbing and stretch, fling, spin etc the rig to see if the slack is taken up and the pin loaded. If not then in theory it's alright. BUT, I have seen a rig tested exhaustively this way and I was able to apply a little different variation on the theme and pull the pin.:o

I'd use the above test to see if you should keep jumping it WHILE you obtain a longer ripcord. It's not uncommon to have four or five inches extra cable.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Well, I've really given it some abuse and pulled on the lift web, pinned the container to the floor and pulled it every way I can think of, sudden shocks.

I think that within the constraints of movement the fabric will allow, the pin won't move. It does pull the ball right up to the handle, but the pin isn't loaded as you said. With my other free hand I could still pull the ball out from the D handle a good few millimetres.

I think I'll still e-mail Wings and see what they advise but it doesn't appear to be of immediate concern. Thanks :)

Sound like you pretty ok. hang it up and get in it. See what that does to the cable. I can't remember now what I did to fire the one that we thought was okay.:S

Some people would say that's just right. But I prefer a little more slack. I'd work on getting a longer one and put it in. Keep the old one for the quick turnaround after you next cutaway.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

feuergnom, who sometimes posts here has had a premature reserve deployment in a hybrid because of insufficient slack. I think it is too short i am not a rigger, but i have been told 4 to 5cm f you have the rig on at least.

Franco
If it does not cost anything you are the product.

It does pull the ball right up to the handle

------------------------------------------------------------

Not good!!! There's your answer, it's too short, waaay too short. Change it now. The swedge shouln't even come close to touching the handle until it is actually pulled.

Mick.

I know I sawthis when I openend the picture of the closed containe and saw a couple others noted as well:

14. Verify that the top flap passes through the leeve on the pin cover flap.
Close the top flap and secure with the temporary pin.

15. Close the bottom flap and secure with the ripcord pin, making sure the temporary pin has been removed. Slide the end of the pin under the protective cover on the bottom flap.

Dont know if an alternative closing sequence exists like with a Dolphin but yours looks to be closed incorrectly as it is. The manual is noted online.

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Others may have covered all this, but....
Yes it is to short. Ideally the end of cable (swedge) should be almost touching the inside bottom of D ring reserve deployment handle. Ideally it should not be sticking out past the bottom of the D ring handle but maybe 1/2 in off the inside of D ring.

When real short like yours, crazy body positions from tumbling exits, hybrids, freefly, etc.. could cause enough tension to launch your reserve.

Dont know if an alternative closing sequence exists like with a Dolphin but yours looks to be closed incorrectly as it is.

Just to reinforce: it does matter.

This summer a visiting jumper complained to me that every time he checked his Wings reserve pin, the binding tape on the end of the tucked-in flap caught on the end of the pin. He was properly concerned that pulling the flap out to do a pin check would pull the pin.

His rig was closed incorrectly. Closing Javelin-style, bottom flap then top flap, fills up the tuck slot and makes a pin-check deployment more likely.

Mark

OK, funny thing is I've had 2 kit inspections at different DZs and noones noticed anything or commented [:/]

Were the people who checked your equipment advanced packers or riggers?
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

funny you should bring this up scoop my one looked pretty similar to your pics so i just checked once its on there was only about 1 inch loose when the cut in laterals where done as normal and up tight as well but checked for slack which produced another inch in length :S my rig is also a wings container let us know what you find out .

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

Shortly after I started jumping in 1980, a Canadian jumper named Zoltan Pegan had a premature reserve opening due to a reserve cable that was too short. Unfortunately, he was sitting in the "V" of a Cessna 182 at the time. The reserve pilot chute blew over the wing and he was slammed into the wing as he was pulled over top. He wound up a paraplegic.

Not something to ignore. I would not jump that rig until you know that the reserve cable is long enough or has been replaced with one that is.

It might not be just you that is hurt/killed in a premature...you might take a friend with you.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Good on you for giving your gear an inspection yourself and deciding to ask a question when you thought it wasn't right!!

And just to support what others have said.. I think that is way too short and my boyfriend, who is a very experienced rigger, concurs.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Sunrise are sending me a new handle/cable B| so when I get that fitted I'll address the packing issue, I'm not jumping it between now and then anyway. I will ask to pull the reserve myself

@ Kernel Panic: I doubt it, that spring is pretty fearsome :D and the flap doesn't really tuck in as such, it just sits there

I will ask to pull the reserve myself

Good!!!! Something everybody should do at repack time.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey