jheadley

Changing one's personality

I am curious if you all think it is possible for a person to significantly or completely change their personality. Is it something that can be changed or is it just a permanent part of you? If someone did try to change it, would that be "phony" of them?

I've done it. Once upon a time, I was considered by many to be the most negative person on the face of the earth. I decided that had to change, so I MADE myself change. I just made myself look at things differently, and over time it worked. I wouldn't say it's permanent, though, albeit also not fake. Sometimes I can feel myself slipping, so I just tune up a bit.

Not to say I'm not still a cynic, but my most vocalized word is no longer "hate". ;)

I am curious if you all think it is possible for a person to significantly or completely change their personality. Is it something that can be changed or is it just a permanent part of you? If someone did try to change it, would that be "phony" of them?

IMO it takes many years or a major life event or both for someone to change.

Walt

It is absolutely possible. I did it. I was a very different person in 1994 than I was in 1992. Today, I am different than both of those people - kinda like finding a happy medium.

And I've changed even more radically since meeting my wife and having kids.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Yes people can change. And no, it's not phony. It might 'feel' phony in the beginning because it's a personality that the person isn't used to. As he becomes more comfortable with himself, it feels less "phony".

As humans, we are extremely dynamic beings. We are able to understand the past and how it relates to the future. We are capable of heeding other people ideas and advice and using it to better ourselves. We are capable of changing everything we are and stand for on a whim, if the desire is truly there. I have, and I know a few others who have.

To define ourselves by our past and not our futures is highly self-limiting.
This ad space for sale.

IMO it takes many years or a major life event or both for someone to change.

Walt

I agree. I, personally have changed over the course of the last 10 years or so, and I know people that have changed overnight due to a significant event in their lives.

I feel that you should constantly challenge yourself to become a better person so change is important and needed. You should do it for yourself though and not for another person.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I feel that you should constantly challenge yourself to become a better person so change is important and needed. You should do it for yourself though and not for another person.

Does that mean that even *I* might be able to change enough to be a moderator some day?:):)

Walt

Does that mean that even *I* might be able to change enough to be a moderator some day?

Not with the poopy-man avatar. :P
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

What's amazing to me is how much a person can change and not show it, hell, not even know it, because they've become so used to how they interact with those around them on a daily basis. A rapport, if you will. And then, when exposed to a completely new environment for a length of time, find themselves reacting in ways they didn't even know they had in them.

There really is something to the idea of traveling to get to know yourself. Or, to quote Stewie, "I've always wanted to spend a year in Prague teaching English. You know, slacking off a bit, but really getting to know myself."

I think it's 100% possible to change your personality. It's not easy; but it's possible.

IMHO, to go out and say "Changing your personality is impossible" completely nullifies the point of life; life is a growing and learning process. Growth and progress involve change.

edited for grammar only.
=========Shaun ==========

There really is something to the idea of traveling to get to know yourself.

And what did you find out about yourself on your travels to GA? ;)

Absolutely . . . Take one drill bit, and one wire hanger . . .

. . . and after the blending is complete - let heal for 6 weeks and "Voila" new personality installed.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Not only do I think it's possible, I think it's almost assured as part of the aging and experience-gathering processes. There aren't many 40-year-olds who act essentially identical to the way they did when they were 20.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Not only do I think it's possible, I think it's almost assured as part of the aging and experience-gathering processes. There aren't many 40-year-olds who act essentially identical to the way they did when they were 20.

Blues,
Dave

You mean you used to be worse? :o
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Perhaps a little bit. :$:)

Blues,
Dave

No sense in being modest now.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I've done it. Once upon a time, I was considered by many to be the most negative person on the face of the earth. I decided that had to change, so I MADE myself change. I just made myself look at things differently, and over time it worked. I wouldn't say it's permanent, though, albeit also not fake. Sometimes I can feel myself slipping, so I just tune up a bit.

Not to say I'm not still a cynic, but my most vocalized word is no longer "hate". ;)

That's crazy, I was going to post the exact same thing!! B|

It took years of self-realization and lots of study for me to 'will' my personality to improve.

-Part of that was giving myself a break...I am still having a challenge combating negative self-talk. That's what I am working on changing now. :)
Actually, I am pretty proud of the person I have become, looking back at the person I was. :$
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Perhaps a little bit. :$:)

Blues,
Dave

I'm speechless..... :|

g

I'm not 40 yet dammit! When I am, I'm sure I'll act different than I did when I was 20. :P:D

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Your weeme is kinda cute.... so I may forgive you for deceiving all these wonderful people on DZ.com.

If you turn off your privacy, I'll sing your praises on DZ.com.... :)
:ph34r:

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?