LittleDJ

Hackey or Freefly pad

im just about to order my first rig but dont know whether to have a hackey or freefly pad put on it, i am an A licience jumper with low jump numbers, and am looking at going into freefly in the near future In your opinion which do you prefer and why?
LittleDJ!!- There is no such thing as a perfectly good aircraft!!!

dont know whether to have a hackey or freefly pad put on it,

Just one question to clarify... is the 'freefly pad' those cool yellow notepads with the sitfly and HD silhouette emblems, used for drawing out the dive plan? If it is go with that for sure. Even if it isn't go with it cause it's named after your discipline of choice.;):D
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

I can only speak from personal experience. When I ordered my new Vector, I thought I would go with the freefly handle. Jumped with the freefly handle for better part of a season and then switched to a hackey handle.

While I liked the securness of the freefly handle, I found it difficult to reach and grasp at pull time, resulting in many nerve racking throws where I couldn't reach it on the first try, slipped it, etc.

Part of this could be that my rig isn't one of those tiny guys many freeflyers have, where the edge of the pilot chute pocket is a mere 1/2" from edge of the container, and the freefly handle sticks out a bit. I have a V350 with a 170 main, meaning that that the container was larger and the freefly handle was tucked under the container, not sticking out at all from the side.

I also am a bit older, with some shoulder issues, so I don't have the flexibility you youngsters might have, to contort and reach around behind my back..

It may differ from rig/rig person/person, but it just didn't work for me.

You can always try it, and get it swapped out for a few bucks if you don't like it.

My rig came with it, well, kinda. I got a Mirage, and they all come with freefly hackies now. (It's a hackey with the freefly tuck tab on it). After talking to my rigger, I decided to cut it off...

Why? It required me to un-do the tab, then pull as normal. So, it took longer to pitch. Also, a girl at the dropzone had a hard pull with one and had a terminal reserve ride....ouch.

So, I basically came to the conclusion that if I reach fast enough speeds the will make my hackey pull my pilot chute of of the BOC pouch, then I'd look into getting a freefly handle, but I'm not even near the skill that would require to worry about it.

Ive got around 700 jumps on my Mirage. I have the freefly pillow with the tuck tab. When I first started jumping it I was stuffing a 170 in to a container made for a 150. the only time I ever had any issues was when I was wearing gloves for the first time, and being able to feel everything was just a bit different.
At pull time I just rotate the handle as I am depolying.

As for what you should do:
Talk to your instructors and fellow jumpers.
Decide on the option that you believe will be safe and reliable.

I choose the pillow because it was less vulnerable to snag and was more secure. The hacky w/ tuck tab was not an option at the time I ordered mine. I have since gotton used to it and wont change when I order my next rig.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

*** After talking to my rigger, I decided to cut it off...

Jeff,

Did you call Mirage first? If not you should have. You could have just turned the tuck tab in to the pocket side rendering it redundant until you gained the experience to want the security it provides.

Jeff

You could have just turned the tuck tab in to the pocket side rendering it redundant until you gained the experience to want the security it provides.

No, I didn't call Mirage. The dealer who works at our DZ used to work for them though...

...However, I did turn the tab to the pocket side and it just felt awkward to me. When/if I ever need it, its only $40 for a freefly handle.

Nice name btw...:)

well, if your good and smart and fast and savvy, get the freefly thing. if your a retard just skydiving for social purposes (and trust me, they walk among us) and you can remember what way to "eat the carrot" then get the student rig with the main throwout option on the right or left side in case you forget.

I like the pud on my container rather than a hackey.

Ever just watch people's hackeys when they are moving around in the airplane. It's scary.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Occasionally you need to whip it out NOW (not a fraction of a second later...eg with a canopy below you or 1500ft coming up on the alti). Maybe there's some wingsuit nylon flapping too. A pad? No thanks.

On my next rig I'm just gonna get the gas pipe. Light, distinctive and $30-40 cheaper. A no brainer.

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

Occasionally you need to whip it out NOW (not a fraction of a second later...eg with a canopy below you or 1500ft coming up on the alti).

sounds like some retraining is needed:P both on exit order and separation and altitude awareness..... (sometimes 'stuff' happens, but these shouldn't be on that list)

personally, I've never had any trouble with finding the low profile pud. If someone else does, they definitely should consider whatever it takes to avoid issues (training, packing method, or a hackey or something more easier grasped)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

umm.

wtf is a hackey? ;P

its a round, made of a durable material abut the size of a tangerine. Often looks much like a hackey sack (thus hacky)
its used as the item you grab from your B.O.C. to pull your depolyment system (pilot chute, pull-out, etc)
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

I read this thread, cause like klafollette, I also have shoulder/reach issues...
Interesting subject, and appropriate in an effort to be freefly friendly and Safe....
especially with glove season ( cold weather ) approaching in some places
so your post caught my attention, please see below

well, if your good and smart and fast and savvy, get the freefly thing. if your a retard just skydiving for social purposes (and trust me, they walk among us)

:| well i have always been good ;) , try to be smart :|,,, likely had savvy in this sport, before you were born, ,,,, and I no longer place such a high emphasis on "fast". :o

I "get " the freefly thing, and love the discipline and those who embrace it, but It's not for me..:o.I have not yet lost the thrill of freefall relative work, and videography, have not been 'burned out' and been looking for a change, have not come into the sport when freefly was already an immediate option, and so, often the choice of the "mountain dew generation" :ph34r:B|;)
and those more recent to this sport / hobby..which we share.

.... I DO skydive for social purposes... and I certainly "walk among us".. but don't you DARE call me a retard...>:(...or anyone by that word, for that matter...:|
I hope your post is in jest, and meant to be tongue - in -cheek...
but it does little to add to this thread,, except to get Me riled. hahahaha..
anyway if not for 'social purposes' tell us why YOU skydive...Calvin19?????

and you can remember what way to "eat the carrot" then get the student rig with the main throwout option on the right or left side in case you forget.

what the heck does canopy piloting, understanding of landing patterns and wind speed/direction recognition??? ( windsock reference) have to do with deployment options??? which side to mount the deployment handle is not the issue, but rather what style and shape Handle is best.....
.. Your smarmy reply indicates that You're...better than most of us....maybe yes....
maybe No.....:|

p. s. see above sentence for correct use of " your & you're " ...:S

....geeze that bugs me when people mess that up....:|
good luck... skydive safely.
jmy a 3914 d12122

ok, that little ball thingie. ;P

Im quite new to the sport, seems like mastering all de new words is more of a challenge than the actual skydiving part ;P

bag lock, line dump, hackey sack, D bag, horseshoe, hard pull, pilot chute in tow... hehehe. Most I could find or discover myself but that annoying hackey word had not come to me yet ;P

thx

umm.

wtf is a hackey? ;P

That what you americans call it, HACKEY. In canada we call it hockey, its a sport on ice with sticks and a puck. You silly americans will never be able to say it properly!

Q. Why do birds sing?
A. Because they dont have to pack when they land