ladyskydiver

I hate pet stores and puppy mills!!!!

Why you ask? You'd be amazed at the number of animals that come into the ER with pneumonia, kennel cough, or parvo. The parvo is the one that really got me this time. Most of those with pneumonia or kennel cough have been able to leave the hospital - healthy and happy little babies. Those with parvo are 50/50 - some leave...some never do.

Last weekend, parvo claimed another life. When she came into the hospital, she was a beautiful 7 lb. husky - white with gorgeous blue eyes. :)
Damn! When I left her on Monday morning, she was crying...couldn't tell if it was due to pain or just wanting to be loved. [:/] I felt so bad having to leave her there and hoped against hope that she'd be ok when I came in this weekend. :( I hate not being able to do more to help. :|

People...if you get a puppy/kitten, etc. take them to the vet ASAP and get them checked out and start their shots. Rescue a pet so that the animal can have a life or buy from a reputable breeder. Stop buying from pet stores and puppy mills, k?
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

My woman got a puppy from a breeder and my mom was over yesterday and she strongly dissapproved of the whole breeder thing too. I was of the belief that reputable breeders are a good thing. Now my fiance has gotten rescue dogs before (we have one now) and so have I but I really had to work at diverting a huge argument yesterday. Mom thinks if it aint from the pound, you shouldnt get it. Just like to hear thoughts on that.
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

When I first came to this country some 15 years ago I was shocked and apalled that puppies and kittens are still sold in stores like candy or T-shirts. Most of them look dispirited, some of them look sick, not to mention they're all very expensive! Why would anybody buy one is beyond me.
If you want a dog/cat, go to a shelter people, there are plenty of great animals in need of a good home and stop giving pet stores and puppy mills more business!

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."

Mom thinks if it aint from the pound, you shouldnt get it. Just like to hear thoughts on that.

I tend to agree with that too. The last thing the world needs is more puppies. I sometimes reel at the amount of money people spend on their pure breed just to make themselves look good. If you really want a pure breed so bad that nothing else will do, look into rescue organizations and adopt one.

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."

I really could go on and on and on about this subject. My first reply was lengthy and I opted to delete it.[:/]

Hungarianchick, not only expensive but continue to be so b/c of the health issues! My entire family & friends-of-fam are royal papillon people. I can't even count how many b/w my fam & friends we have. I don't like to enforce my opinions on others. If they ask, I'm happy to share. My father & stepmom asked, I shared, and they visited a puppy mill in Amish country. Now they are eager to adopt their next from a local papillon rescue I googled and pointed them too.:)
Cruz ("Cruzer", attached, on his way to dog park in his huge ((and scrap carpeted:D)) back area with back window down; spoiled!) is from the Animal Care & Control. I really wanted a Mini Schnauzer, my best friend I grew up with. But, I couldn't find one in the ACC. Cruz had a card that read "abused. has a really big heart." and for some reason we HAD to see him. They had to carry him into the room to visit us. He did nothing else but barely make his way to me, put his head in my lap, and shiver. ADOPTED! Ha! No way was I letting this sweet (and now, super-happy-go-lucky-and-PERSONALITY) pup sit in that cage. Cruz is a 50lb dog. I had wanted a small dog. But, you can't help who you fall in love with.;) And it turns out a larger dog definitely fits our lifestyle better--we're so active and he comes on bike rides on the beach, runs in the morning, can walk around an arts festival with us (if it's grassed), etc. LOVE. LOVE. LOVE my adopted doozer! And he's one of a kind. No other dog looks like him at doggie park! I think that's WAY cooler than a pure-bred.B|

Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

my baby from the animal shelter!

she's an asshole at times, but she has to have it from someone!

we're together now for more than five years, and to be honest, i wouldnt let any other female to get close to me as she does..

BTW, i'm a big flirt, and a much bigger one is she!!!
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

:o:)
She's CUTE!

I should be out on the beach or at dog park right now w/ Cruz but it's pouring rain (thank goodness, actually! We need it. My water bill was HUGE this month from lack of rain.:D) so we're stuck inside--not by my choice, but Cruz hates the rain. He can be a real pussy.:D:P He's all big & mighty until a little thunder hits.

In all seriousness, I think it's from his previous owners. They must have kept him outside in storms, b/c he is really terrified. We had to get him doggie valium when we got him, b/c we live in FL--storms all the time--and he would literally not be able to get close enough to me (keeps adjusting himself to push harder and harder up against me) and would salivate, panic & pant to the point of hypervenilating. SO sad!:( How could anyone do that to an animal? He's better now. We rarely, if ever, have to give him a doggie valium. He will still keep trying to get closer, but I stroke his ears constantly and he'll calm down and we'll both fall asleep.:)
ADOPT people!:)
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

He's all big & mighty until a little thunder hits.

Sounds like my Shadow. Thunder's the only thing she's really afraid of, enough so that she's hiding under the bed right now, and it took her 2 days to come out after 4th of July :D:D.

Edit to add: Pet adoption is a great thing. Shadow was a stray who insisted on living with me, and I got Abby off a bulletin board at work. No regrets on either kitty :)

i'd be glad if my doggie was scared of thunders.. altough thats about the only thing i could think of where she'd act scared..

she's one big, tough motherfucker if it boils down to it..

anyone wants to adopt the TWO of us!?
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Stop buying from pet stores and puppy mills, k?

So are you saying the puppys/kitten in he mills are a lost cause?

unforunately, pets die and It would break my damn heart to see what you see on a daily basis but there are still pets worth saving that are unlucky enough to be in a puppy mill[:/]

I just got a puppy in january and he has been totally awesome.
If my active lifestyle would allow me to get more I would, but one is enough.
My photos

My Videos

The point that is trying to be made, the puppy mill people are only in it to make a buck, people keep buying from them they will keep breeding the dogs in completely inhumane enviroments.

I have two rescued dogs, both purebred, one was retrieved from a puppy mill as it was being shut down, she was four months old and just about the age to go into heat for the first time perfect for any new puppy mill >:( and the second from a shelter. Puppy mills breed the dog from first heat on, sometimes litter after litter just to make a buck.

The dog that was rescued from the mill, because of poor breeding has had a miriad of health issues. There are breeders who give a crap, and breed to stop these genetic traits. Yes they cost more but there is a reason. If you dont want to spend the $$ on a properly bred dog, then you need to rescue and stay the hell out of the pet stores. [:/]

She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Rescue a pet so that the animal can have a life or buy from a reputable breeder. Stop buying from pet stores and puppy mills, k?

Done, done, and done (and done, and done...). And even rescued a purebred Siamese this way...Simon.

Just a note: if you want a purebred, google a purebreed rescue for that one. Oftentimes, there are babies, and you can get one for little $$. Unless you're intending to breed and sell the babies, there's really no need for registration and breed papers...and if you are intending on breeding, I would ask you to reconsider; there are plenty of animals available for rescue from those who thought "hey, I'll breed a litter!".

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

my wife and I have rescue dogs and we love them.. when we move in to the country we will recue another bring the total to three.

With my rigging service i donate half my "profits" to a local no kill shelter, every repack gets the shelter 25$.. i could use the cash as I am a very poor college student, but those dogs need the cash more then I do.

attached is natasha and Kaci our rescure dogters.
www.greenboxphotography.com

Mom thinks if it aint from the pound, you shouldnt get it. Just like to hear thoughts on that.

I agree to a point... I'd go with 'if it ain't from a rescue, you shouldn't get it.'

People who want purebreds can google for rescue groups for almost any breed of any animal and find one. My mother in law rescues schipperkees. My greyhound is a rescue from a breed specific group.

The only 'pet store' that I will shop from doesn't sell mammals but does have a branch of the local humane league and various rescue groups in there constantly to adopt animals out.

I have 3 cats, 3 dogs, 2 snakes, and 2 rabbits. All of them are rescues.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I understood the point and agree to a point. I also didnt get my puppy form a store or a breeder.

our pilot brought him to the DZ and we left with him LOL.

UNfortunatley, puppy mills will always be there. if people don't rescue the puppies they will be destroyed. and, like doritos, they'll make more.[:/]

My photos

My Videos

I recently adopted a 5mo. old kitten from Petsmart...they let several rescue/adoption agencies show their available animals (it's the one thing I truly like about Petsmart. Now if they would just stop selling exotic birds...that's a discussion for another thread!).

Anyway, Sophie is an adorable little thing and one of two kittens in a litter of six to survive feline dystemper. She and her sister were rescued from a kill shelter.

My landlord adopted a pure bred lab from a lab rescue. His owners gave him up when he was about a year old because he was ruining their hardwood floors:S. I just don't understand people who give more thought to buying a pair of shoes than to the committment and care of an animal[:/]

"...I've learned that while the "needs" in life are important (food, water, shelter), it's the "wants" in life (ice cream, chocolate, sex) that make it worth the effort." Kbordson

I understood the point and agree to a point. I also didnt get my puppy form a store or a breeder.

our pilot brought him to the DZ and we left with him LOL.

UNfortunatley, puppy mills will always be there. if people don't rescue the puppies they will be destroyed. and, like doritos, they'll make more.[:/]

I'm aware of the fact that puppy mills and pet stores will never be out of business as long as there is a profit to be turned.

Doesn't make it any easier when you watch a puppy dieing in front of your eyes and there isn't a damn thing you can do to help. Doesn't make it easier when you're the one going in to talk to the parent and tell them "Sorry...your pet is going to die and we can't do anything about it."

I've seen the look on the parents faces who don't give a damn about the money they spent....they just want their baby alive and healthy. I've seen the tears rolling down their faces when they've had to make the decision of fighting it out as long as their baby can take it (and then still die) or euthanizing their pet.

The pet stores/puppy mills don't care. They're turning a profit. So what if they actually have a "buy back" guarantee on the puppy/kitten. It doesn't matter to them because they spent $100-400 for the animal and the owner spent (usually) over $1500 for the animal. Even if they give you a "replacement" pet...what does it matter to them...they still have their profit. [:/]

[frustrated sigh] Just as I know - in reality - that pet stores and puppy mills will never be out of business, I know that I will always try to save that life. I know there will be times - like when this little girl "Princess" died - that I will want to rant and rave against puppy mills/pet stores. I, also, know that if I could rescue every single one of these puppies/kittens I would.

A lot of people don't think about rescues when they're looking to purchase a pet. Maybe...just maybe...one less puppy/kitten will be purchased from a pet store/puppy mill and will be purchased from a rescue instead. One can hope...
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

My woman got a puppy from a breeder and my mom was over yesterday and she strongly dissapproved of the whole breeder thing too. I was of the belief that reputable breeders are a good thing. Now my fiance has gotten rescue dogs before (we have one now) and so have I but I really had to work at diverting a huge argument yesterday. Mom thinks if it aint from the pound, you shouldnt get it. Just like to hear thoughts on that.

Reputable breeders are definitely a good thing. Good breeders are very careful not to add to the pound or shelter population before the sire and dam even meet. They will usually require deposits on any potential puppies to make sure that each puppy will have a home.

Breeders also help maintain a healthy breed. They breed for the good traits and try to breed out the bad. When dogs are overbred or inbred they have problems, and good breeders try to make sure that this doesn't happen. Breeders cater to the people who want a dog of a specific look, age, and temperament. Getting a puppy from the pound is a wonderful thing, but not everyone is willing to take the risk on an unknown animal. If you know that no dog for four generations has had hip dysplasia, that makes it a lot less likely that your dog will.

Both my cats are rescues, and they're wonderful pets. If I get a dog, it will probably be an adult dog from a breed-specific rescue. That said, I totally understand why people buy from reputable breeders. Buying from a pet store or puppy mill, however, makes absolutely no sense any way you look at it.

Some big box pet stores have pet adoption on the weekends. I got pc from BARC (Benevolent animal rescue something). About two years later, I found three dogs. I kept one and adopted out two. I was able to meet the adopting families myself. I had say in who would take her. I was able to call or make a home visit to make sure everything was working out, etc.
here's Patty Cake

Why?

In Norway, they don't sell kittens or puppies in stores. It's viewed as wrong to give a kitten or puppy as a gift. Until recently, rabbits and mice were sold in pet stores, but that's also getting increasingly uncommon. People get in contact with breeders via the internet or ads in the newspaper. The pet stores survive, and thrive on selling pet food and accesoaries.

The only thing it takes, is a change in attitude amongst people, and to stop buying kittens or puppies from pet stores. If they lose their market, they will stop.

If people "rescue" puppies from pet stores by GIVING their money to the people who put them there, that only encourages them to make more. It makes no sense.

People need to be educated about this, and I think it's possible to stop this even in America. People who want pets generally care about animals. They don't really want to support a trade that treats animals badly.

>:(
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

Maybe my definition of puppy mill is different.

My understanding from this thread is that pet stores (that sell pup and kittens) are considered puppy mills.

I guess that wouldn't be the case since they aren't the ones breeding them.

So, I stand corrected. Those stores that breed puppies and have health issues etc are stores I wouldn't buy from.

places like petsmart seem perfectly fine to me.
My photos

My Videos

So, I stand corrected. Those stores that breed puppies and have health issues etc are stores I wouldn't buy from.

places like petsmart seem perfectly fine to me.

Most petstores do not breed the dogs, they are bought from brokers that buy from the puppy mills. See the following links for puppy mills.

Humane Society
Stoppuppmills.org
Stop puppymill video If you want to see why so many of us are up in arms.
http://www.prisonersofgreed.org/

I could keep going, but this is a good place to start learning about this.

Petsmart does not sell dogs or cats, only hosts for rescue organizations.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto