skydiverbry

ethical/health issue

You know CPR a complete stranger pulls in beside you at a store and goes into cardiac arrest. Now would you do mouth to mouth if you did not have any type of mask or barrier device?
--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

I carry a mask with me, but yes, I'd probably do CPR without one, but I'd go with the compression only CPR rather than the compression plus breathing. There's not much of a difference in survival rates since there's enough oxygen in the blood to keep the brain sufficiently oxygenated for a while. Some studies are indicating that the patient is actually better off when single-rescuer CPR is compression only.

Well,it happenned to me about a year ago. I always had a mask with me,only this I was in another's car. I did both until the medics got ther.
I knew deep down that I would,but the oyher part of me said "No way"
--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

the chances of gettting HIV/Hepatitis are pretty remote from that kind of exposure.....I don't have the exact figures but it is pretty slim.....
Here is another thought.....could you live with the guilt of not trying to help someone out?
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

You know CPR a complete stranger goes into cardiac arrest. Now would you do mouth to mouth if you did not have any type of mask or barrier device?

Been there, done that.

I've also seen a technique where you make a tube with your fingers and fist, with one end pressed against the victims mouth, and then you blow in the other end. That keeps you from having direct contact with his saliva.

Once saw a street hooker ( I think she was a hooker)that had some sort of overdose. She was on the ground twitching as a crowd stood around and some weird shit was coming out of her mouth. I do not have formal CPR training but I have been shown how. I was thinking "Pleeeeaaaase keep breathing". I know it sounds shallow but I was really not looking forward to putting my mouth there. I also did not not want to watch a person die. Fortunately my dilemna was resolved and the ambulance pulled up. Fucking saved by the bell.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

From what I've been told, the transfer rate through saliva is very low. So for a heart attack, yep. Where I *might* have second thoughts is in an accident/car crash where there is blood in mouth and the teeth are knocked out making it difficult to get a good seal without heavy pressure. But I think the instinct to help would still make me answer yes.

absolutely.

But seeing some of the goo that often comes out of people's mouths and noses during a code, it'd probably take a while to recover emotionally....lol. Eww.
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Some studies are indicating that the patient is actually better off when single-rescuer CPR is compression only.

I think that this is the case only because of people's reluctance to perform mouth-to-mouth resuscitation and because CPR can be difficult to learn and perform--so people just won't do it, or they do it ineffectively. Compression-only CPR is better than NO CPR, but I'd be willing to bet that the 30 compressions to 2 breaths is more beneficial than compressions only when performed by a well-trained person. If you know of studies that demonstrate otherwise, I'd sure like to see it. It'd be good information to know. It's just hard for me to fathom.

Maybe people will be more willing to perform CPR, though, if chest compressions are all ya' have to think about....and that can be pretty grueling in its own right.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I've been in EMS for many years, and many, many nasty things come out their holes when people code.

Therefore, if your picture is in my wallet, you get mouth to mouth. No pic, no mouth to mouth.
Thats the plan anyway.

When I used to work as a lifeguard I always planed on removing my shirt, sunglasses and hat before going in the water.... you know how many new pairs of glasses and hats I had to buy? :S

If it came down to it, and instict took over, i would hope to have the presence of mind to at least put piece a cloth between me and person. Eating someone's else puke is no fun.

Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!

Speaking as a lifeguard my answer is no. The official way of doing CPR in the UK changed recently. If the person has had a heart attack then there is still enough oxygen in his\her blood for around 5 minutes, so just doing compressions will keep the blood circulating so rescue breaths aren't necessary. Of course if there is a barrier device use it by all means.

Im still working at getting the old way out of my system. I've only worked maybe 5 or 6 full arrests since the change was implemented in our county and we've either got a tube or using the BVM until we get the pt intubated so I dont really know about the no barrier situation. I keep a pocket mask in my truck but that dont help with those first 2 instinctual rescue breaths. I'd probably have someone call 911 (if it hasnt been done), at least put a shirt between us, out of habit 2 breaths and then compressions, and send someone after a (my?) mask. This is just what comes to mind.....

It would definately be different, and much simpler without having hose monkeys to direct, tubes to secure, drugs to set up, hallways to clear, cops to chase off, family, you know, controlled chaos:P

Seriously, hope it dont happen when I aint wearing a blue shirt.

------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

Usually the nasty stuff comes up (spews out) with compressions. At least if you were a lone rescuer...per the original post....you'd be less likely to have stuff come up during a couple of rescue breaths. I think I'd just have to wipe the face off of any goo and give breaths as indicated. Oxygen is good for a person's brain. I don't think I could stand myself if I didn't do my best. It may be nasty, but the risk of contracting something is very low.

linz
--

I once responded to a code at a doctors office, where we were presented with the fine MD doing CPR, as expected.
Well this woman's arrest must have been induced by an obnoxious amount of food. The Doc would give a rescue breath, stop spit out vomit from his mouth and give another breath, spit vomit, compressions,

After working EMS for 10 years, I can say there was a lot of puke. and the fine Doc was covered in it.
Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!