JENNR8R

What's Your Favorite Car Color?

It seems like the roads are filled with what I call non-colored cars these days. If you had to come up with a name, you couldn't. The automobile manufacturers have started to name them: Bordeaux, Flint, Kiwi, Merlot, Parchment, Pueblo, Radiance, Stone, Topaz, Tundra, etc.

My favorite is white. It hardly ever shows dirt. I can go long periods between washings if I have to, and it doesn't look bad. Black is too hard to keep clean, and silver just looks unfinished to me.

I bought a new "used" car this weekend. I just can't justify buying "unused" and paying extra just for a paint color.

This one is called "Spruce Green Clearcoat." Huh? :|:|:|

It's a boring non color, but it's only 14 months old, has 15,000 miles on it, and was $8,000 less than a new white car that I was considering. I think I can live with the non-color. :D

What's your favorite car color?
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

My favorite is black. It never stays clean, but for the 5 minutes that it is after washing, nothing can beat it.

After that, I like silver, and the grey/blue type colors.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

My car is gold--"desert sand" or something, technically, I think. I love it! It's another one of those good colors for hiding dirt but it's also light enough that it's not extra-sweltering in the summer.
TPM Sister #102

Red, then blue.

I am told by a friend that in Russia, red is considered to be a feminine color for a car, not likely to be picked by guys. Can anyone else confirm that implication for Russia/Europe as a whole?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

What's your favorite car color?

I was having a conversation about Car color with my mother this past weekend. I am thinking about buying my daughter another car (I am a little worried about safety in the TR6 we already gave her and also wanted to her something a little more practical for day to day). The ONLY thing that matters to her is "The Color". My Mom owns a Dealership so I asked to keep an eye out on the trade-in's if one that is appropriate comes in. She laughed about the color thing. She said that was a "Female” thing. She said Young males getting their first car usually could not care less about color. They are looking at the Stereo, the Horsepower and the Cool Factor. She said Girls getting their first car only care about the Color.:S:D:D

Kinda like a skydiver when you say you are getting a new canopy or rig. People ask "what color" before they ask "what canopy" did you get.:S:D

Only once in my life did i get to pick the color of a car/truck. I chose white so it's cooler in the summer sun.

I think the color of the interior is much more important than the color of the sheet metal in determining how hot it will get. Plenty of white cars have dark interiors. Tinted windows and a front windshield shade pretty much make the interior color irrelevant.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Young males getting their first car usually could not care less about color. They are looking at the Stereo, the Horsepower and the Cool Factor. She said Girls getting their first car only care about the Color.

Maybe it's because a lot of guys are color blind.

Me? I pick which sports team to cheer for by which color uniform I like better. :D

And my bedroom color is peach. The male painter kept calling it pink! >:(

ones? -- Monday.

I've heard that white is the safest color and that's why it's used for so many fleet vehicles. We have 2 white cars for our kids. Dirt, schmirt, I just want them to be seen. So far, so good.

My parents had a silver car years ago, blended in with asphalt. That car got hit sooo many times.[:/]

I think the color of the interior is much more important than the color of the sheet metal in determining how hot it will get. Plenty of white cars have dark interiors. Tinted windows and a front windshield shade pretty much make the interior color irrelevant.

White paint in direct sunlight can be up to 40 degrees cooler than black paint in the exact same conditions. I've confirmed this with IR thermometers at the Meguiar's paint lab. Some of, but not all of, that heat gets transfered to the cabin and contributes to the green house condition. That additional heat also has effects on the condition of anything you put on it like waxes and really bad effects on crappy clear coats which, fortunately are mostly out of the market place at this point. White cars will look better over time if compared to black cars of similar neglect.

As for the interior, a good window tinting can reduce the amount of IR entering the green house, but unless all of the windows are tinted, heat still gets in. Further, the interior matierials make a HUGE difference in how that heat is conducted at the moment you re-enter the car to sit down. 140 degree cloth is, for all intents and purposes painfree when compared to 140 degree leather. The cloth has practically no latent heat (aka heat intertia) and rapidly chages from hot to not-so-hot and isn't dangerous at all. Leather, on the other hand, has quite a bit of latent heat, so much so that you can get a pretty bad burn from a really hot seat on a really hot day.

A "real car guy" will still have a black car with leather interior, but a car like that is quite literally a pain in the ass when it comes to parking in the desert during the summer.

My GTI is white for practical purposes.

"Certain" cars really should only be certain colors. If you buy them in any other color, you just don't know what you're missing. For instance, any car with the name "Shelby" in it or on it really needs to be "Vista Blue" with silver stripes or you're just throwing your money away.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I'm going to also go with white. I have had two white cars (one is my current car) and I just love it. It's clean, crisp, and it just looks nice. Classy I guess. I've always liked white cars. Something about 'em. :)

Yes, and they are so much easier to find in a parking lot. The non-color cars just sort of blend together as if they are camouflaged.
ones? -- Monday.

As for the interior, a good window tinting can reduce the amount of IR entering the green house, but unless all of the windows are tinted, heat still gets in. Further, the interior matierials make a HUGE difference in how that heat is conducted at the moment you re-enter the car to sit down. 140 degree cloth is, for all intents and purposes painfree when compared to 140 degree leather. The cloth has practically no latent heat (aka heat intertia) and rapidly chages from hot to not-so-hot and isn't dangerous at all. Leather, on the other hand, has quite a bit of latent heat, so much so that you can get a pretty bad burn from a really hot seat on a really hot day.

Does leaving a van's rear vent windows open make much of a difference in reducing the heat buildup in the interior?

ones? -- Monday.

Does leaving a van's rear vent windows open make much of a difference in reducing the heat buildup in the interior?

Would depend on a few things; direction of wind, number of windows open, ect.

One mistake a lot of people make is thinking that just cracking the windows open a bit somehow makes it "safe" for pets, elderly or children to be left in the car for a "short" time. It's not. Heat can build up very rapidly even in a car with the windows "cracked".
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver