RALFFERS

Are sleeping pills THAT BAD for you

?

A while back I posted a thread about my insomnia

In light of that..........are sleeping pills that bad for you? I heard and.or read from a few sources that they are, but....:S

I've started taking Benadryll Akkergy. I don;t have allergies, but its drowsy effects knock me right to sleep. Is this a bad idea
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

it will help you sleep. but you won't necessarily be refreshed.

So thats why I want to sleep all day for the last few days........

Talk to your doc. There are new medications that are non-addictive such as Lunesta and Rozerum.

Good luck,
Chris

lunesta is a class iv drug (ie potential for addiction) rozerum, however, is not addictive (yet).

If thats correct than eventually they will be sued for false advertisement, because if mt memory serves me corectly "Lunecta is the only non-addictive sleep aid" (according to the commercial)

Talk to your doc. There are new medications that are non-addictive such as Lunesta and Rozerum.

Good luck,
Chris

lunesta is a class iv drug (ie potential for addiction) rozerum, however, is not addictive (yet).

If you believe that, I've got a bridge to sell you.

If thats correct than eventually they will be sued for false advertisement, because if mt memory serves me corectly "Lunecta is the only non-addictive sleep aid[/i[" (according to the commercial)

If you believe that, I've got a bridge to sell you.

I didn't really believe it from the get-go; now you just confirmed my suspicions

I was just repeating what they claim

Can I Become Dependent on Lunesta?
from their website:

You're in good hands with Lunesta.
Lunesta® (eszopiclone) has been studied to determine its risk for dependency. And you'll be pleased with the findings. There is low risk of becoming dependent on Lunesta. However, there is still a risk that some people may become dependent. If you've had a past problem with drugs or alcohol, it's especially important to discuss this with your doctor before starting any sleep medicine.

I do not know about Benedryl as a long term solution, but I would like to put my two cents in about Ambien.

I started taking Ambien just about every night a few months ago. Shortly thereafter I became paranoid and quite panicky. When I finally put the two together ( I know, I am a little slow...) and stopped the Ambien, the paranoia and panic attacks stopped almost immediately.

I will happily deal with no sleep as long as I am not paranoid and panicked all the time!

~Anne

I'm a Doll!!!!

DFWAJG just may be correct. I know Lunesta and Rozerum work on entirely different parts of the brain. I have tried both. Lunesta put me right to sleep. Leaves a nasty taste in your mouth though. I decided to stop Lunesta for that reason. I was then put on Rozerum. Rozerum takes a few days to become effective. It worked well for me. I've since stopped taking it because my neuro upped my anti-seizure medication which I find helps me sleep through the night.

In the case of both Lunesta and Rozerum, I was able to stop cold turkey...no need to be weened off of them.

I wouldn't go the antihistamine route. I find they don't give you a restful night's sleep and they tend to wear off at about 4 hours.

Like I said, talk to your doc. There is definitely remedies out there.

Chris

well, all i can say, that in my family there was a member some time ago that did heavy sleeping pills over years. and yes, a dependency grew from that. now, that alcoholism was also a problem, you can think of the ending: the person has died after several pneumonias in a short amount of time, due to the weakend body and immune system. i'd be very careful with this and would only make it a short term solution..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Probably a bit rough on your body.... but I've taken lunesta and it works like a charm.

I've heard ambien will knock you out for like 18 hours.

Rozerem did nothing for me.

Really though, if you read up on it, taking a sleep pill is just the quick fix. It's not 'normal' to not be able to not sleep. There is something else going on in your life that is keeping you up.

I use sleeping pills only when necessary - or when my sleep schedule gets all out of wack.

If thats correct than eventually they will be sued for false advertisement, because if mt memory serves me corectly "Lunecta is the only non-addictive sleep aid" (according to the commercial)

I thought what they said was "Lunesta is the only sleep-aid approved for long-term use" or something along those lines.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Thanks guys for all the responses, much appreciated. I will think long and hard before doing anything. I don't like the idea of taking pills, but not being able to sleep sucks

someone here said that their must be something going on in my life which is causing my lack of sleep, there is......job stress. Although I love what I do and like the challenge of working in sales, it can get very frustrating at times.

I haven't had a sleeping schedule in literally years; I fall asleep when I'm pretty much unconscious.

Again, thanks for all the advice

Practicing meditation is supposed to be good for sleeping. Not a quick fix, but it can help to quiet your mind if that's the problem.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Get some fresh air and exercise. GO for a run in the morning, and try not to fall asleep during the day.

This is right on. I am going to add to this, stop drinking caffeine a good 6-8 hours before bed, or don't drink it at all.

As mentioned there are few threads on this topic, one in the womens forum actually has fantastic ideas...
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

I recommend that you give melatonin a try. It is sold over the counter not habit forming and doesn't cause any harm. I travel all the time and have trouble sleeping in strange places. Melatonin is amazing stuff. 3mg is the right dosage for most people and it is usually sold in either 1mg or 3mg pills. The best part about it is that a bottle of 100 or so costs around $5.

I used to take all kinds of stuff and a pharmacist friend of mine yelled at me and told me that they were all bad for me. She was the one that suggested that I try melatonin and it worked like a charm. I have never gone back.
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

Hey Ralf,

Since everyone has a solution to your problem, I might as well give you another one.;)

You might want to consider hypnotherapy. Seriously, I went to an awesome hypnotherapist. She made a CD for me to use at home and it worked like a charm. The more you practise it, the easier it gets.

Stress is not good for you buddy. Do what you can naturally to reduce it.

PM me if you wish to learn more about the hypnotherapy. I'll be glad to share with you what I have learned.

Best of luck,
Chris