enflyt

favorite books

So another post made me think of my favorite books... and if i had to list like my top 5, they'd be:

~ My Sister's Keeper -Jodi Picoult
(and just about every other book she has written to boot!)

~The Kite Runner- Khaled Hosseini not an easy feel good read-but one that should be read. His new book A Thousand Splendid Suns is great too-a look of afghanistan from the female perspective

~The Lovely Bones- Alice Seabold I can only hope my heaven is like that. Her memoir Lucky is also good

~A Million Little Pieces-James Frey. So what if its partially fabricated. its an incredible look into a different life.

~Harry Potter- all of em.. and yeah.. i'm goin crazy waitin for 7.

OK. so thats like 5 authors- few extra books... I'll read just about anything if i've got time-so. any suggestions or reccomendations?

Some of my favorites are:

Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy (definitely among his best books ever written, Without Remorse follows closely behind)

See No Evil by Bob Baer, which is an inside look at the CIA's operations from the eyes of a highly trained field operative.

The Last True Story I'll Ever Tell by John Crawford, first-hand account of events in the Iraq War from the perspective of one low-ranking soldier deep in the shit. Not a happy read at all, though amusing at times, and well worth seeing the really gritty side of war.
"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving." - aviation cliche

wow there are so many...top 5 in no order
The Hobbit-J.R. Tolkien
The Da Vinci Code-Dan Brown
Hot Zone-Forget
Dirk Pitt novels (all are great)-Clive Cussler
Dean Koontz (such a sick and twisted man)

i know the last 2 are authors but i will read anything they write....eventually :)
JewBag.
www.jewbag.wordpress.com

Jonathon Livingstone Seagull : Richard bach

Deep Survival : Laurence Gonzales

Touching the Void : Joe Simpson

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time : Mark Haddon

Anything by Bill Bryson - Great light holiday reads.

The Bible : Anon:)

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Hunter S Thompson
On the road - Jack Kerouac
The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test - Tom Wolfe
The Lord of the Rings - JR Tolkein
A rock and a hard place - Aaron Ralston
Spud - John Van Der Ruit
Dan Elton: The art of life - Jennifer New
Shantaram - Gregory David Roberts

edited to add:

Scar Tissue - Anthony Kiedis, Larry Sloman

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

A Million Little Pieces-James Frey. So what if its partially fabricated. its an incredible look into a different life.

The Kite Runner was also one of my favourites, but if you liked A million little pieces then do yourself a favour and read Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts, it is one of the MOST amazing books you'll ever read.

Neil Gaiman - American Gods; Neverwhere; Good Omens (with Terry Pratchett)

Benjamin Hoff - The Tao of Pooh

Brian Lumley - Necroscope (the rest of the series seemed a bit lacking)

Khalil Gibran - The Prophet

Chuck Palahniuk - Choke

Just a small sampling from my bookshelf.
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

The Kite Runner was also one of my favourites, but if you liked A million little pieces then do yourself a favour and read Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts, it is one of the MOST amazing books you'll ever read.

I bought Shantaram because so many people recommended it in another thread. I didn't care for it very much.

Some of my favorites are:

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
The Mitford Series by Jan Karon
Byzantium by Stephen R. Lawhead
The Quilters Apprentice and the series of books that follow by Jennifer Chiaverini

and my favorite biography:

Lee, the Last Years by Charles Bracelen Flood
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

Anam Cara - John O'Donahue

The Hitchikers Trilogy (all 5 of them) - Douglas Adams

Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand

Mr God, This is Anna - Fynn

Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West - Gregory Maguire

The good Willy Shakes (William Shakespeare for those more formal in the group)

Children's books (Tuesday, The Three Questions, Katy No Pockets; Velveteen Rabbit; Old Turtle; I Love You the Purplest)

Also look here or here

I bought Shantaram because so many people recommended it in another thread. I didn't care for it very much.

Really? Why was that?

To Kill a Mockingbird is also one of my favs :)

I suppose I just didn't admire the main character and didn't understand the motives of the 'father figure' to him... It was sooooooooooo far removed from my life experiences. I couldn't identify with it at all. Learning a bit about the Indian culture was interesting though.
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

I suppose I just didn't admire the main character and didn't understand the motives of the 'father figure' to him... It was sooooooooooo far removed from my life experiences. I couldn't identify with it at all. Learning a bit about the Indian culture was interesting though.

Fair enough ;)

Couldn't narrow it down to just five books, I had to put two series in there...

Illusions - Richard Bach
The Foundation series - Isaac Asimov
The Harry Potter series - three more days!!!
The Four Agreements - Don Miguel Ruiz
Gone With The Wind

Hitchikers Guide series,
All of Neil Gaiman's novels, short stories and graphic novels, but especially Stardust, without a doubt the most charming story I have ever read,
Nineteen Eighty-Four,
On the Road by Kerouac,
Fear and Loathing,
Dispatches by Michael Herr,
Discworld series,
Catch 22,
LOTR,
The Iliad (get a modern poetic style translation, it truly is the classic that towers over all of modern literature),
His Dark Materials trilogy,
2001 and Rama by Arthur C Clarke
Touching the Void by Joe Simpson,
Hannibal by Thomas Harris (better than Silence of the Lambs and immeasurably better than the film version),
The Alexander trilogy by Valerio Massimo Manfredi - some of his other books have tended to be quite dark and depressing but the Alexander series is a true historical masterpiece.

Thats just a few to be going on with:P

Do you want to have an ideagasm?

wow.. okay. so i tried to limit myself to just a few of my faves.. but yeah.. to kill a mockingbird, and where the red fern grows are two classics that i just love. I also love Dan Brown, David Baldacci, Lee Child, and yeah... pretty much the list goes on and on. I've always been a bit of a reader, but when I was actively flying as a flight attendant, i'd read one to three books a week... then I had to cut back to study arabic, and now it seems i'm makin up for lost time

thanks for those suggestions... i'll definately check out a few of those! i love just goin down to goodwill and seeing how many paperbacks and hardbound books i can get for 1.50 or 3bucks:)

My reading list tends to be fairly broad...

Other have mentioned the hitchikers guide.

I read Enders Game a few years back and I stumbled across Magic Street by Orson Scott Card which was a good read.

Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson is a great book for people interested in science fiction.

I also like several books by Arthur C Clark (Rendezvous With Rama, 2001...)

Though his style is interesting... Kurt Vonnegut tells an interesting story... I read Timequake last winter...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Anything by Heinlein - The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, To Sail Beyond the Sunset, Friday, The Cat who wlaks through Walls, Time enough for Love, Stranger in a Strange land....

Armor - John Steakley (Great Book, Very Heinleineske)

Enders Game - Orson Scott Card

The TAO of Pooh - Ben Hoff

Fool on the Hill - Matt Ruff (This book is an absolute MUST read for everyone. If you can find a copy, READ it!!)