Andy_Copland

Low Pull Contest Anyone?

You obviously never met Henry Bivins

"I hum it 'cause I can" Henry 3:16

There is another guy around here that had the same color canopy, so he and Henry could low pull at will and say "hey it wasn't me"

Most people today would shit their pants just by watching the altitude they pulled at.

BTW please don't name the other guy who is still living and jumping.

The hint is that it was not Scotty Carbone.;)

I love this old book

Thats a reserve deploying....and he survived.

Wow. It looks more like a little, white blob from here. Maybe I need a better picture...

:|
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

Ive seen the video of the mad russian at the ranch pulling very low:D:D he also FELL OUT OF THE OTTER at about 5ooft at the Ranch.

http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

I like the way they talk about CReW being a very new aspect to the sport and guessing where it will go.

Look at where it is nowB|

It's also got several pages of the first jumps off El Capitan. The word BASE wouldn't even be invented for a few more years.

There's more too, pics of The Herd and a formation load of three Skyvans exiting at a Herd Boogie. There are the big wing jumpsuits of the day and the obscenely huge Kreuger Balloon Suits. There are some record attempt bigways in the mid-sixties range, and a briefing for an attempted record 75 way, with a diagram on the side of a Skyvan (I was standing approximately behind the photographer, not participating, but observing in total reverence). Even the aftermath of the crash of 873 (the blue DC-3) at the 1978 Nationals in Richmond. This book is da' absolute shit, it brings back a flood of memories every time I open it.

I got my copy hot off the presses in 1979 & still have it. It's a treasure trove of where skydiving was at in the late seventies, which is when the really huge changes came about. People were switching from gut gear to piggyback, from boots to sneakers, from round to square, from ripcords to hand deploy, capewells to 3 Rings, and the very first square reserves (5 cells). Plenty of Strato Stars and Strato Clouds to look at, as well as Units (great canopy, once it finally opened). There was a lot of experimentation and unfortunately things sometimes misfired with fatal results. But overall it was an immensely exciting time to skydive.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

he also FELL OUT OF THE OTTER at about 5ooft at the Ranch.

There was a vid submitted at the Flyboyz film festival some years ago showing a rather lowish jump from the 206 with a base rig at a now defunct dz "near" the former SLT at Beckwourth, Ca. The vid in it's entirety was absolutely hilarious. Wish I knew where to get a copy.

G. Jones

"I've never been quarantined. But the more I look around, the more I think it might not be a bad idea."

as well as Units (great canopy, once it finally opened).

:D I had over 1200 jumps on Units, not a single chop.:)
It was a very experimental time. All this new gear was coming out and we were figuring it all out, one incident at a time. :S Yeah, it was interesting as hell.B|

he also FELL OUT OF THE OTTER at about 5ooft at the Ranch.

There was a vid submitted at the Flyboyz film festival some years ago showing a rather lowish jump from the 206 with a base rig at a now defunct dz "near" the former SLT at Beckwourth, Ca. The vid in it's entirety was absolutely hilarious. Wish I knew where to get a copy.

The Bastard
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

I had a secondhand Unit. If I had not seen it jumped repeatedly before I bought it, I would have refused to jump it with that slider. The slider was more vent than fabric! It had great openings, and was the easiest-to-flare canopy I had jumped at that time. It even had an El-Cap jump on it!:)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I had a secondhand Unit. If I had not seen it jumped repeatedly before I bought it, I would have refused to jump it with that slider. The slider was more vent than fabric! It had great openings, and was the easiest-to-flare canopy I had jumped at that time. It even had an El-Cap jump on it!:)

I started with a Unit II and put a couple hundred jumps on it. I actually wore out a Unit 4 with the kevlar lines. They opened nice and slow...just like my Spectre does. :)

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

...I once exited a Huey at "something less than" 2000 under a borrowed Unit. I finally saddled out at "something over" 1000' and barely made it to the LZ. I didn't want to chop it because then I wouldn't have a rig to practice the demo with...although I did have the cut-away broke loose and was lifting up my feet for some reason thinking 'come on...come on...open already!'

...the thingies I did when I was young and immortal. [:/]

Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

I was once in the saddle under my main at something like 700 feet, no cypres at the time. My left leg strap had come completely all the way out to the end of its strap on exit as a rear floater when I got snagged on the jumper in front of me. I didn't even feel it through the entire 10 way working dive, at least not until breakoff when I turned and started tracking. THEN I felt it flapping against my leg. Instantly, I KNEW my 120 was not going to open right and I don't think my reserve would have opened cleanly, and I spent the entire time I was supposed to be tracking and then some, trying to grab the wildly flapping strap and it took 3 or 4 tries to yank it tight, and THEN I reached back for the pc while checking my altimeter and I went "oh fuck" right as I let go of the pc. Thank god it was a clean opening or I probably wouldn't be here. It was 10 years ago last month.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Son of a Bitch!!! :o How fucking low was that??? :S

Reminded me of the guy who jumped from what, 200-300 feet over WTS from the 195, I think? Steve "Deadman" Morrell did it. Mike Mullins was on the ground yelling through his PA system forbidding him to do the jump. The pilot was screaming "NO! NO!" But Steve just grinned and nodded like a maniac and off he went. A bunch of guys were standing near the pea gravel pit and they had to dive out of the way as Steve came screaming through his flare for landing.

I sure wish I'd seen THAT video. This was all told to me by someone who knew about it.

Steve did a lot of crazy assed shit, and somewhere along the way earned the nickname "Deadman", I think because he was supposed to be on the flight that blew up over Lockerbie, Scotland and missed it...

If I'm wrong, correct me, but this is what I remember.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban