ntrprnr

How much does a new muffler cost?

All:

Long story short: Got the car in for a tune-up, need a new muffler. Don't want the dealer to do it because they'll rape me, but they said they'd match whatever Meinekee or Midas would charge. What do they normally charge for a new muffler and labor on a 2002 Nissan Maxima? Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Peter

Problem with that scenario is you can't get a real price form Meineke or Midas unless they can see your car. Muffler prices are one thing, but you rarely just need the muffler part alone. Pipes leading to and away from the actual muffler can cost a whole lot.

How do you know you need a new muffler? Was your car loud? My idea would be to leave the muffler repair for now, get your car back, and then you can go shopping with the car so they can see everything it will need and get you a "real" quote.

Hope this helps.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Umm, I pay about $55.00 at a local muffler shop. That is for a GM pickup.

Oh yeah, including installation.

Yeah, in your uncle's shop in Alabama. :ph34r::)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Umm, I pay about $55.00 at a local muffler shop. That is for a GM pickup.

Oh yeah, including installation.

Yeah, in your uncle's shop in Alabama. :ph34r::)

Shop hell. That would add another $10.

Under the tree in his neighbor's yard.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

If you do end up getting a new muffler, grab the deal that the dealer offered and make them put a factory original Nissan muffler on. The original is probably stainless steel, but a cheapo relacement might not be.

Also, there are two mufflers on that car.....

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

A couple of years ago I had to get a new muffler/tailpipe for my old truck. I went to speedy, and it cost me about 75. Of course that is on a domestic vehicle vs an import.

Just order a new part from summit racing. Come out to the north fork to do some wine tasting, and I'll install it nice and sleezy
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

All:

Long story short: Got the car in for a tune-up, need a new muffler. Don't want the dealer to do it because they'll rape me, but they said they'd match whatever Meinekee or Midas would charge. What do they normally charge for a new muffler and labor on a 2002 Nissan Maxima? Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Peter

Here you go..........$98.88 w/ free shipping http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList.aspx?parttype=15&ptset=A&searchfor=Mufflers ships within 1 day or available for pick-up at an Advance Auto, Checker, Schuck’s, or Kragen near you.
...and you're in violation of your face!

All:

Thanks,

-Peter

Not sure, but I CAN PAINT THAT CAR FOR 39.95!

You need to find the NY equivalent of 'Bubba'.

Around here, I'd go to the Auto graveyard, get a muffler for around $50 and another 40-50 for Bubba (yes, his name really is Bubba ). If there is a tailpipe problem, soup can and hose clamps. ;)
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".

What's this about replacing a muffler?:S

My policy has always been, if the muffler needs replacing; then the car needs replacing. I replace cars like library books.:P

That's 'cause you think you're David Caruso, and making big buck in hollywierd:ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I cannot stand David Caruso and I do not look like him despite what some have said here.[:/] I also do not relate to Hollyweird.>:(

I'm sorry, I'm having a sensitive moment right now.:P I think I'll go trade my car in that only has 1800 miles on it to make myself feel better.:|