base428

Having Your Receipts Marked at Sam's Club

It's a complete waste of time. I remember a few times back in the day when a couple of my friends and I would go there, each w/ our own receipt, but all our stuff in the same basket. Then we'd go up, one of us would hand the guy our receipt (with say 10 items on it) while the others would just have their receipts in their pockets. Then the guy would just mark it and say have a nice day, while there is obviously about 50 items in the cart. Stupid and ineffective system.

The camera/license plate issue differs from state to state. I know in Az that many 2 car families would register the car in their spouses name and drive each others vehicles. If they were caught on film speeding the registered owner would show up in court and the photo would be of someone other than them( usually the spouse or child) and be thrown out. Thats how many Arizonians got around the camera speed traps. I am not sure if that is still applicable in Az but i know it was being done a while back.

As for all the "tricks" to keep a camera from capturing your digits, they don't work. Anything that does work is more than likely illegal as it would obstruct your plate from normal viewing. As was stated, many states restrict you from putting "holders" or other objects around ones plates as it is. The cameras are set up so that the photo taken will be from an angle that captures a shot of the plate. Even with one of those enclosed smoked color plate holders the software on the system that views the violations can quickly and easily invert the photo through several different processes that will reveal your plate info. You cannot beat the cameras, anything that you would/could do to do so would more than likely get you pulled over and fined by a patrolman for obstructing your plate.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Hmm...

I can see a laser scanner being taken out at long range with a high-powered rifle. >:(

To quote the late James Doohan: "The more complicated they make the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." :D

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

From what I understand, Sams and Costco and any store that has a "membership" has the right to stop you at the door because you paid for and, thereby, agreed to abide by their rules. That means you really are supposed to stop at the door and let them count your items and mark your receipt.

However, other stores you shop (like Best Buy, for example) don't have the right to stop you at the door to search your bag or view your receipt. I tried this once with some friends at a K-mart. We walked past the guy without stopping, but he started yelling and followed us out the door. We finally stopped and he highlighted the receipt along with a 20 minute lecture on how it stops theft or something. :S Legally, though, you can walk out of any store but one of the membership only places and do it without any real repurcussions.
Take me, I am the drug; take me, I am hallucinogenic.
-Salvador Dali

What I don't get is when I go to Best Buy and purchase a CD or DVD or some other small item which they place in a bag and they STILL insist on checking my bag and receipt before I leave. Hey, if I'm walking out with a big screen TV, I get it, but to double check a tiny bag when its only 20 feet between the cashier and the door? WTF is that???

I love to taunt those chumps, and dare them to try to lay a hand on me.>:(>:(

I had a friend who was even better at it. He'd go psycho on them when they tried it on him. Man, was that funny.:D

CompUSA dropped that "Door-Nazi" crap at the stores I patronize. They realized that they were losing a lot more in retail sales by people being pissed off and taking their money elsewhere than they did with loss prevention.

Besides, any fool knows that the lion's share of theft comes from employees, not customers.>:(

mh

I figure I'll chime in, being that I work at Costco. Someone said before- it's a membership warehouse, so you have to stop to have your reciept checked. I used to check reciepts a few years back, and I'll tell you what- I was damn good at it. The most catches I had in one day was 16. Now thats not things that werent paid for. It went both ways. Stuff that wasnt rung up, and stuff that was charged to the member twice.
When someone checks your reciept, they are not checking every single item. They look for the obvious stuff: big price items, the stuff thats underneath the cart. And for the record, they are not checking you- they are checking the accuracy of the cashier. I would say 90% of the time, it is a cashier mistake we catch at the door.

The sole intention, is learning to fly.Condition grounded, but determined to try.Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies.Tongue tied and twisted, just an Earth bound misfit.

but I just tell them to "arrest me"

keep it up and someone will think your shoplifting and call the cops.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

And then he can sue for false imprisonment.

It's illegal for them to detain you under those pretenses. The most Sams or Costco can do is revoke your membership.

When I worked at Best Buy, there was a big flap about it at one store and they got sued for detaining someone who didn't want their receipt checked. They hadn't stolen anything, and the customer called the police on thier cellphone first and had the employee that detained him arrested.

Never take your personal freedoms for granted.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

When I worked at Best Buy, there was a big flap about it at one store and they got sued for detaining someone who didn't want their receipt checked. They hadn't stolen anything, and the customer called the police on thier cellphone first and had the employee that detained him arrested.

Never take your personal freedoms for granted.

heh-heh-heh >:(

Now *that's* what i'm talkin' about! :DB|

mh

the customer called the police on thier cellphone first and had the employee that detained him arrested.

Wow that guy is a fucking prick! Just show your receipt and get on with your life.

I personally think the electronic tags inside products work much better compared to the receipt signing thing. But I'm not so uptight that I would be an ass to someone b/c part of there job is to check my receipt.

I don't go to membership stores, just regular ones where you don't actually have to stop and let them check if you don't want to. I usually refuse to let them check my receipt. They ask to see it, I keep walking. They can't actually stop you unless they have reason to suspect you're trying to steal. The only place I'll let them check most of the time is Guitar Center, because they don't allow returns if they haven't stamped the receipt. If I'm buying something I think I might want to take back, I'll let them stamp it. Otherwise, no.

But I'm not so uptight that I would be an ass to someone b/c part of there job is to check my receipt.

But if that person's job is to infringe upon our rights and break the law by false imprisonment...well so be it. he can fucking go to jail. I had a very similar incident happen to me about 10yrs ago at a target store. the security guard went to jail and the fact that he tackled me outside a target with my 1yr old in my arms was an idiotic thing to do. Plus I was in my FD uniform too. thank god I still had my receipt in my hands with lauren in the other.

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

Dude having someone keep you from leaving a store until they can verify that you payed for everything and having someone tackle you and your little girl to the ground are two very different things. I agree it was an idiotic and dangerous thing for him to do and that he should have gone to jail or at the very least lost his job for endangering your child. He could have just asked you to stop instead of going directly into tackle mode. Just out of curiosity what was the charge he went to jail for? False imprisonment or Assualt?

But yours is a unique instance and I still don't think someone should go to jail for stoping someone from leaving the store b/c they have been given probable cause that the shopper may not have payed for everything (the person bypassing a line).

He tryed to "detain" me inside to check my receipt...I told him to try to arrest me...cause I wasn't going to wait in a line to get OUT of the store I just PAID for something in. that was the detention thing. He did try to detain me...2 counts of false imprisonment, two counts of assault and battery, two counts of felonious assault to a minor child. It was a good day. after I got a very long letter from target stores kissing my ass I didn't sue them...but you can bet that "security guard" is a felon now.

and you can bet I paid for everything. My bag of diapers and a CD.

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

This is the way it's been explained to me: Legally, they can't make you stop or wait, once you've paid. A club can put it in their membership contract that you must stop, but I'm not sure that any of them do. Even if it's in their contract, they can't physically make you stop, but they could cancel your membership or, theoretically, sue you for not stopping. I've walked right past them before when I had one item and was waiting behind three full shopping carts. They ran after me and asked if they could look at my receipt, so I let them. I'm not looking for trouble, but I'm also not waiting in line for ten minutes after I've made my purchase, to prove I'm not a shoplifter.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

Then I would also be a fucking prick.
I REFUSE to surrender my rights because others do wrong. I am not a thief and I get offended and PISSED when treated like one. I also do not return to stores that treat customers like that.
I'm giving you my hard earned money and you treat me like shit? Fuck you...it irritates the piss outta me when I have to pay for other people's actions!!!>:(
I never stop for receipt checks...just try and touch me! Concealed weapons permit holders lurk everywhere you know...;) If they make a big deal outta it...refund my money now! There are PLENTY of businesses that will gladly take it and also treat me nicely too.:)

in phoenix if you get a camera issued ticket it is sent by registered mail and has to be signed for, you dont have to sign for it and then you dont get the ticket. for over a year now scottsdales loop 101 has had cameras at 6 points speed limits 65 anyone 75 and over get there picture taken, it has slowed traffic down in that area to an average of 70 miles an hour, before it averaged 80 miles an hour so it has some effects, and in az anything that obstructs the view or covers the plate is illegal and the fine is huge. was in court for expired tags, someone in there was caught with a obstructed plate fine was 1000 bucks. speeding tickets are way cheaper. and you can go to driving school even cheaper and the ticket is dismissed no record of it happening.
light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

Costco and BJ Clubs are the same way - the reason they do that is because they don't bag your items, so someone theoretically could just throw stuff in the carriage and walk out with them.
:D

No, it's to prevent people from loading the stuff in their cars and then returning to the store for the exact same items and walking out with a valid receipt. AGAIN.