RALFFERS

Bikers

So I'm coming home from Nationals last night, minding my own business when out of no where I had the scare of my life (thus far.) It was OK drive; little to know traffic for the entire 80 miles. For a moment, I ran into a pack of semi trucks, no big deal, than I hear the familiar sound of crotch rockets. I remember 5-6 of them, and all were speeding past traffic; I was going 80 mph, so they must have been going 120 or so. That's fine, I guess...but as I was driving this 1 PUNK decides to squeeze between me and the semi to my left NOT in 1 lane than the other, literally between me and a semi, on the white lines dividing the lanes; he had inches of clearance >:([:/] He damn near surely killed himself, if not both of us. I suppose this is why bikers are ideal organ donors.:| I hate driving...
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

As a biker and an owner of a GSX-R1000, I completely understand where you are coming from. Some bikers take it too far in not the right environment. But it goes both ways. I know many many many many times where I'm riding, not hard, and found myself nearly run over from people that have no respect for bikers. It's terrible. Most bikers, if you were to survey, are scared of the cars on the road more than themselves on a fast bike. It's kinda weird but the truth.[:/]

Blue Skies

And you wonder why decent and responsible motorcyclists have to fight an image of being idiots? It will just take a few groups like these to ruin to for everyone.

Also, with gas prices going up, there's going to be a lot more motorcycle "riders" on the road than motorcycle "drivers" too. That will hurt the PR also. I'm already seeing a lot more 'riders' out there in their flipflops and no helmuts and short sleeved shirts and shorts with their 12 year old sons on back with no helmuts, driving on the paint stripes, etc........

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

There are punks who drive 18 wheelers.
There are punks who drive big ass SUVs.
There are punks who drive run of the mill sedans.
There are punks who drive sports cars.
There are punks who ride crotch rockets.
There are punks who ride Harley Davidson style cruisers.

I have dealt with punks in and on everything. But yeah, you'd think the punks on the crotch rockets would know better because one tiny mistake and they get body parts splayed all over the interstate.

Thankfully, these punks are few and far between in all categories, but of course, they really really stand out when they do some half-assed stupid stunt. :S

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I have respect for everyone on the road, and always keep my distance. Yes, I may speed at times, but if you're behind me, coming towards, whatever, you'll always know what I'm about to do (turn signals and whatnot.) As far as seing stuff like this, I agree with Billy....God must like stupid people, because He sure made enough of them. I have respect for bikers as well, actually I like bikes (just am afraid to ride them.) I know that these guys were some of the few bad ones.
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

At those speeds by the time he noticed the hole closing up it would be too late. All at takes is a tired trucker or someone searching their car for a CD and this guy is toast. Then add to that if you happen to be headed home after a drink or two( that will put you right at the limit) you could go to jail because this ass hat killed himself with your car.

A granny driving an SUV cut me off this morning. No signals or anything. It's a good thing I constantly scan traffic around and ahead of me. Last night some dude in a sedan behind me almost hit me on the highway. I don't think he saw me until the very last sec and he was speeding.

...... He damn near surely killed himself, if not both of us. I suppose this is why bikers are ideal organ donors.:| I hate driving...

I used to fly Air Ambulance trips. Sometimes I would fly Organ Harvest Teams. These people called motorcycles Donorcycles. And I was amazed at the high percentage of donors who were killed on a motorcycle.

I've recently made the decision to not ride anymore.:| First, because my bike isn't worth putting any more money into to operate as it should and because, in the last two weeks, my neighbor down the road was killed when a soccer mom driven van suddenly drifted across the center line on a narrow road and hit him head on. Then, three days later, a guy from the next town hit a deer on the same highway and was killed when he was thrown from the bike into a tree. :(

The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

it IS legal to "split lanes" as you described in many states.

I hope the legislators that approved that bit of nonsense got all the votes they hoped for. What's a few lives as long as they get another term?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

it IS legal to "split lanes" as you described in many states.

I hope the legislators that approved that bit of nonsense got all the votes they hoped for. What's a few lives as long as they get another term?

Well I think they mean for it to be a way for the motorcycle to continue on while traffic is gridlocked, and not for passing purposes. Also goes back to when bikes were air cooled and needed to be going in order not to overheat.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Well I think they mean for it to be a way for the motorcycle to continue on while traffic is gridlocked, and not for passing purposes. Also goes back to when bikes were air cooled and needed to be going in order not to overheat.

That first bit is totally accurate. Motorcycles are allowed to travel in HOV lanes in every state I know of. The allowance of "lane splitting" is to allow people a fighting chance to keep moving in snarled, rush-hour traffic. I have been stuck in hours-long traffic jams on interstates and turnpikes where I was able to creep down the middle all the way to the front. Some people HATE it and will actually scream at you and try to stop you, but they are ignorant and simply do not know the law. Open up your side door to try and block a bike where it's legal and it's YOU who are breaking the law. That's actually assault with intent to kill.

Bikes; particularly taller, enduro-style and narrow, smaller streetbikes are perfect for navigating through gridlock on interstates and other clogged thoroughfares.

Lane splitting isn't the problem per se........ Lane splitting at inappropriate times and speeds is.

Ride to survive.... Treat every manouver as an accident about to happen.....then, most often, you'll get away with it.

Be smart.... be safe.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I used to have a 1975 Porsche 914 that was air cooled. I was going home from work one day and got caught up in a jam on the interstate. I didn't really have much choice but drive on the emergency lane/shoulder to get to the next exit and off. It was the middle of summer with temps in the high 90's. And yeah, I did piss some people off. I know one 18 wheeler driver took it upon himself to inch over and block the emergency lane after I passed him.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

this one just sucks in Florida heat...lane splitting and riding in the emergency lane are illegal here..so technically, we have to pull over and let them cool off once in awhile...damned air cooled sleds!

I've never been a fan of lane splitting, and it has separated many group rides I've been on because I simply won't do it....and depending on the event, the location, and the conditions...it's rare that I'll ride the emergency lane either..

I just usually find another route when I come upon congestion. Makes it all the more interesting anyway.
;)

I don't understand why people block the emergency lane when people are using it during a jam. Ok sure they are not supposed to be doing that, but you block it and then you get those people all blocked up and then oh what's that the ambulance can't get by!!!

You're no better than them at that point, actually worse.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

I lane split (when conditions are right) because sitting behind a queue of cars is nonsense on a motorcycle (I also ride to the front of the queue at traffic lights too - why not - who amI impeeding?); but will NEVER ride on the Hard Shoulder (Your Emergency Lane).

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

About a month ago i was driving on 55 and a biker was riding smack dab on the white line, going approx 65mph. I was driving approx 80mph when i came upon him. There was no other traffic anywhere near us and i wanted to pass. Since he was on the white line i had no clue which lane he was in. So i slowed down and stayed behind him for about 10 seconds with my left blinker on so he would know i wanted to pass. He stayed on the white line though so i choose to pass him anyway and went a little on the shoulder to give myself extra room. As soon as i got up next to him he decided he wanted the left lane so i had to go completely on the shoulder to not hit him. Then after i finished passing him he flipped me off like i had done something wrong. He tailgated me for the next 25ish miles to i came to my exit. WTF kinda idiot tailgates a car while riding a bike, not to mention pushing me off the road.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I wonder if there's an "I hate skydivers" thread in the bikers' forum.

Then all would be fair & balanced in the world.

:P

There are punk bikers, punk skydivers, punk Democrats, punk Republicans, punk rich, punk poor, & Punky Brewster--my personal favorite.B|Come on; it's just a fantasy, you know. Uh oh!

Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

I wonder if there's an "I hate skydivers" thread in the bikers' forum.

I don't think any of us are saying we hate bikers...i for one love bikers and love riding on bikes.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!