D22369

for all you pitbull haters

*(disclaimer, there jaws do NOT lock) no animal has that capacity.

My dog is a 7 year old amstaff, I have had him since he was about 4 months old, found him wandering in east Pasco Wa. at about 3am in January 2000

I use the term pitbull very loosely ( it applies to many specific breeds )

A well raised animal becomes a good friend and addition to any family, an animal raised to violence is dangerous to anyone.... ( I could tell you what ethnic group is mostly responsible in my area, but I would be labeled a racist) fuck those pricks!

I aint gonna pull any punches, this is what I remember...

summer of 2000, Bob Putnam was playing with turbo and Turbo got serious about it, Bob kicked him in the chops and knocked him over backwards.... kudo's to Bob.... they became best friends after that.... the beginnings of teaching cause and effects...

Summer of 2001..... So ... there I was packing to make the 2nd load of the day, *(what the hell is that sound...) got many video's to do on this specific day, and I keep hearing this hollow thunk sound from outside... so I set my brakes and go out to see what it is... there is a 4 year old child beating on my dogs head with a wooden mallet.... he looks at me totally forlornely. as if to say "why do I gotta put up with this shit, I am a ferousious pitbull....?" while his stupid fat assed mother sits 10' away watching..... shit, some peeps shouldnt breed...

Summer of 2002...

I believe there was an incident with Todak, (livendive) but cannot recall it, but I do know there was no biting involved (from either party)
:P
great except when on the 206 taxi'ing out I watch turbo on the leash snap at Tall Paul.... total threat display, no real attempt to inflict damage... but still, an agressive act... (Paul is one of the greatest people you could ever meet).... nothing I could do at the time other than work more with him on his manners later

2003 I move to Portland Oregon if anything the people are more fearfull fo the breed than in Yakma...shit... bad juju...

Started working for Ralph Hatly, ya know....1800-call ralph.... he is an asshole, and likes it when ya call him an asshole....but personally we got along great, and I kinda like him.... at eagle creek skydiving.... Ralph wanted me to let him outta the car, to see who would win, Turbo or his roteweiler alpha male Leo.... Personally I think Turbo woulda tore him apart.... but my dog (friend) has never been in a fight, never hurt a cat, never bit a person.... never been anything other than a great dog... I had to put up with being called a pussy (not a big deal...ya are what you eat) - also, dont give a shit what other peeps opinions are of me....

My live in g/f at the time had 3 boys who all play litle league baseball, and luckily the games are at the same park, just in different fields, sitting in the bleachers, another family and us gets to talking, thier 5 year old daughter and Turbo hit it off big time, I am sure he woulda left me for her in a microsecond.... she asks if she can take him for a walk at the empty field near the trees, her father says ok, so I tell her if he starts to pull hard, let him go, I will call him back.... holy crap, he walked with her with a slack leash... like he was healed..... two steps, look at her - repeat.... it was quite impressive to watch a 40 lb child walk a 80lb dog with no effort...
2005: move back to Yakima, in the summer go to the Yakima river to rad board with my son and my dog, everyone is impressed with him (he is an imposing animal).... and within 20 min, he gets jumped by a 25 lb poodle..... Turbo weighs 85lbs at this time ... I have my dog on the leash in one hand, got my son by the hand in the other, scream at him "turbo....NOOO!!!!" push Conner back, and grab this stupid little mut by the throat and slam him into the rocks.... Turbo merely stepped back and let me handle it (not the actions of a viscious animal) hell, I came close to killing this fucking mutt myself...

If I want to roughhouse with my son, I have to keep an eye on Turbo, he is so dedicated to Conner it is rediculous, he hasnt ever bitten anyone, but will interpose himself between me and Conner.... If he will do this between us, he will absolutely destroy a stranger who grabs Conner (I like this)

april 2007, take him to my parents on my way to work, my step father is retired and watches him during the day, let him outta the car and start to walk to the portch, there is a bush that he always stops to pee on, while he is lifting his leg, I look up the street and see a very big america bulldog?...hell if Todak reads this it the same breed as Allie... but male and about 75 lbs rushing up, with nothing but bad intentions... I managed to grab it around the neck and twist it over my body into a big bodyslam, all the while yelling Turbo..."NOOO" just what I wanted to be doing at 5:30 am, is wresting with a stupid dog on wet lawn..... turbo had his lips pulled back, but let me handle it.... not quite the actions of a the killing machine the media portays them to be...

Today, Aug 31,

take him to fullbright park in union gap, as they do not have the stupid breed ban that Yakima has, playing frisbee with him this lady (cute) pulls up with her yorkie cross and kid in the car, as we play she sits there for about 5-10 min then gets out of the car and asks how long we will be playing, 30 min or so I tell her, at that I can tell she is ticked off.... she then says she will be back later, I ask her if she would like to intoduce Turbo and her dog, her response was...... I dont want my dog or child mauled...

I was completely speachless for a sec there... then I began to tell her the difference between agressive and visicous.... Turbo is agressive, but has no viscious tendencies....

she agreed to let her dog out if I put Turbo on a leash, within 10 min, she was comfortable enough to tell me its ok to let him off his leash... her dog and turbo got along great, and turbo kept taking his frisbee to her son...

I have a date tonight :)
Roy

Ps: not really sure why I am telling anyone this... ya all will make up your own minds about the breeds anyhow...
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

Pits don't have the best rep, and they just aren't ever going to. They were bred to fight; it's the only reason humans bred the freaking breed. Whether your particular dog somehow shirked it's own inbred need to act aggressively or not, the breed was meant to be fighting dogs.

I had one at my house the other day -NOT my idea. I LOVE it when my in-laws bring their fucking pitbulls to my home without asking...

Stupid fucking animal. It got it's damn hind end caught trying to jump through the slats in my deck. Absoulte idiot of a creature. :S All 4 of them were just as dumb as could be...sweet, didn't seem viscious or anything, but freaking dumb as rocks and strong as hell. Even at what I'd guess to be 25-40 pounds each (they were all puppies), they could knock you over and were too stupid to understand not to. And they BIT OFF a piece of my damn deck stairs. :S

You can praise your dog and say he's never bit, never reverted back to his nature, and I truly believe you...he might be the best pitbull ever. It doesn't mean my kids would have gotten out of the car on that day. We would have left.

A well-trained cougar is still a cougar.

-Does that mean I don't think you should be allowed to have one? NO! You have your pitbull if you want. B| Enjoy your doggie. Just do NOT bring the creature over to my place! :D

I'm not biased against pitbulls only, so don't take it that way. I wouldn't have a shar-pei in my house either for the exact same reason.

Joe grew up with a pit mix that he says would have wet himself before he ever hurt anyone...ok. I still wouldn't trust it. -We totally disagree on this topic.

FLAME all you want. I'm going to bed. :)

~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Jaye. I won't try to change your mind, but I would like to at least dispell some of the myths that are floating around. Bad owners raise bad dogs. If a dog is not properly trained and socialized, problems occur. The different types of "Pit Bull" dogs are terriers. They exibit many of the same wonderful traits as other terriers like the oh so cute Jack Russel are praised for. They are very protective of their master and tenatious. That can be misused by a shitty owner to train it to fight, but that is not THE reason they were bred. It was bread to be a working dog aound cattle. Ever hear "Take the bull by the nose"? That is what the Pit Bull was bred for.

Here is a site with lots of information about the APBT. How could you not love doggies as cute as these?

I have several friends locally that have a Pit. They are wonderful, loving, smart dogs because the owner took the time to raise them properly. Attached is a picture of Stella. She was a rescue dog that always wants to be by your side. I house sat her and she never exibited any agression to any of the dogs at the dog park. I trust the dogs more than some nipping cocker spaniel. Yes, the dust mop also know as a cocker spaniel bites people much more often then the Pit, but no one is calling for bans on it.

If you want to see how different dogs rate to a standardized testing for behavior, take a look here. The APBT has a higher rating than Snoopy(beagle).

I admit, I'm biased. I hate that people have exploited a wonderful breed for monitary gain/status. My first choice for a dog would be a APBT because of my direct experience with what the breed can be as a loving pet. I'm just sorry your experiences have been with a bad set of owners.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

my 2 cents... for whatever its worth....

ANY dog can be raised to be and attack, act viscous etc. Most dogs (except for your modern day mutt) was bred for some purpose or another. I currently have a dog in the herding breed who tries to herd my kids, its quit funny to watch, the dog gets very aggrevated. One of my best friends has an amstaff, "cowgirl" is by far one of the best behaved dogs I have ever seen. She (the dog) isnt at my house that often, but occasionally spends then night here with my friend. I have 3 small kids (9,7 &5) and have never had a second moments thought about leaving cowgirl alone with them. The media can kiss my ass, they have given several breeds a bad rap, Doberman, Rottweiler to name a few. I have owned both of those breeds and never had any issues. IMHO, the media isnt good for anything other than reporting the weather. All you ever hear about is the bad. And hell would probably freeze over before you would hear about one of these "bad breeds" saving a child or something else heroic. It can be compared to how skydiving and the media works, how often do you hear about the good, but let one of us have an unfortunate accident, it is all over the media and they have put "their" twists of events all over it.

My kids grew up with a female AmStaff we had for 13 years, she was the best dog ever. not a mean streak in her whatsoever, one of the best family dogs I've ever seen. I still miss her.:(
State Farm cancelled our homeowners policy in Florida after having her for 12 years, my suspicions were they pulled data from the AKC as Ruffian was a registered show dog. They labeled her an agreesive breed. I also cancelled my insurance with them for 2 cars, 1 motorcycle, and my boat. I'll never use State Farm again...and I had used them since I was a kid.
The only time Ruff was angry at anything...fire...the dog hated it so much she would steal cigarettes from people, catch fireworks in her mouth, try to put out bonfires and grill fires...always a source of amusement and confidence that I didn't have to worry about a house fire.:)AmStaffs are awesome animals. They were never bred or intended to fight as the Pit was, and the Bull mastiffs to some lesser degree. People should research the history of the breed and what happened when we split them around 1900 to 1920.

nice to hear another great story about one...thanks for sharing!;)

good thing he has an AmStaff instead of a pit then...by your standards anyway.

You obviously believe the hype and the media...and have limited experience with the actual breed.
AmStaffs are awesome AKC recognized and registered breeds. Part of every AKC dog show, in the Terrier group. Watch a dog show sometime. Then tell me how stupid you think they are.

:S

dogs annoying the hell of me>:(...they jump on you, sometimes try to hump your feet, lick you in the face,farting,peeing on the floor,pooping in your garden,drawling, yelling...and they smells like death...you can`t communicate with them..still, people on this planet choose to have this animal in they`re homes:|

so go on.. flame the hell out of me..."doglovers":ph34r:

It takes a special person to keep a well-mannered dog, no matter what breed. I have no interest in dogs, but applaud those that do their dogs right.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Well said. If only people could train their kids to be as good natured as most of the dogs that I know... Oh well it takes all sorts, I s'pose.

The similarities between dogs and kids is stricking... Most owners/parents think that their little darlings are all sweetness and life. "Oh look at him playing" (as he humps you leg/mugs an old lady).. Whilst the rest of us know different.

I can see Jaye's concern. Especially with kids in her house (and it is hers afterall, folk shouldn't just expect to bring the dogs).

But Roy's post was well thought out and balancedB|

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I have always watched my dogs around kids. The thing I noticed is most parents dont train there kids to be round dogs. I think almost any dog will bite if provoked enough. My rotty has no problem biting me when we play buy I kid walks close to us and she stops and flops over for the kid.

Turbo sounds like an absolute sweety! You need to post a pic of him.

My boxer is often mistaken for a pit bull. It's funny how people assume he is one and are terrified of him when they see him (probably because of the hype surrounding the breed and the fact that the only stories in the paper are about the "bad" ones).

Once I explain that he's actually a pure bred boxer, they're suddenly all over him scratching him behind the ears and rubbing his belly. Then they mutter something about how agressive pit bulls are and they should have known he wasn't one because he's so gentle.

Friends of mine have a pit bull who's even MORE gentle than Herc is. Herc's little girlfriend across the alley is a pit bull/boxer cross. She doesn't have a mean bone in her body and she is SMART!

I wish people wouldn't assume the "breed" is bad. It's not the breed. It's stupid owners.

(edited to add a picture of Kiera, Herc's girlfriend).
'Shell

It's not the breed. It's stupid owners.

I disagree. Certainly some attacks are due to stupid owners, but examples of good pitbulls that wouldn't hurt anyone don't cancel out all the examples of unprovoked attacks. It seems that I usually hear the owners of those dogs claim that they can't understand it, their dogs had always been such a gentle family pet, etc.

To claim that there is not difference in risk for different breeds is not realistic. There are desirable behavioral characteristics that are claimed to be different for different breeds, why should we believe it doesn't apply for undesirable characteristics?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Turbo sounds like an absolute sweety! You need to post a pic of him.

My boxer is often mistaken for a pit bull. It's funny how people assume he is one and are terrified of him when they see him (probably because of the hype surrounding the breed and the fact that the only stories in the paper are about the "bad" ones).

Once I explain that he's actually a pure bred boxer, they're suddenly all over him scratching him behind the ears and rubbing his belly. Then they mutter something about how agressive pit bulls are and they should have known he wasn't one because he's so gentle.

Friends of mine have a pit bull who's even MORE gentle than Herc is. Herc's little girlfriend across the alley is a pit bull/boxer cross. She doesn't have a mean bone in her body and she is SMART!

I wish people wouldn't assume the "breed" is bad. It's not the breed. It's stupid owners.

(edited to add a picture of Kiera, Herc's girlfriend).

Ugh people are fucking stupid. I can't even get myself into this pitbull argument. I'd probably get further by banging my head against a brick wall.

I love your dogs!

Ugh people are fucking stupid. I can't even get myself into this pitbull argument. I'd probably get further by banging my head against a brick wall.

I love your dogs!

Banging your head is right. Oh well.

And thanks. I love my dog and his little girlfriend too! While she doesn't live here, she comes by whenever she likes. My neighbour ALWAYS knows where she is when she escapes from the yard! She escapes to MY yard!

:)
'Shell

And hell would probably freeze over before you would hear about one of these "bad breeds" saving a child or something else heroic.

That's where you're wrong. The media would jump on that story like a pitbull on a steak. (sorry, couldn't resist :D). The media prints sensational stories, and a rottie or pitbull or any dog saving someone would be a sensational story.

Normiss you didn't read my post I guess. You said something about basing my opinion on the media and not having 'first hand experience'. My opinion is based on the damn pitbulls that were brought to my house...the ones my neighbor owns that would rip your throat out, and yeah. Actually the ONLY pitbulls I have ever met have been horrible animals.

Glad yours is wonderful. Awesome. Sunshine and rainbows.

I'm not jumping onto this bandwagon signing any ban petition for a particular breed...I am all for stiffer penalties for dog owners that allow their dogs to destroy other's property, fight, and hurt people/other dogs. I'm not talking about this wussy crap with 'oh golly, I'll pay for your ER vist' -I'm talking a minimum penalty of $10,000 plus hospital fees, property damage, etc for a dog that bites a human, or someone else's animal. I would even go for jail time for the owner. Hell yeah. With the only acception being if the person is trying to break into someone's house or attack someone walking their dog...:S

The parents should have to pay that penalty and have the dog removed if any of their kids ever show up in the ER with a dog bite from that animal.

Note I did NOT specify a breed. Owners have to be responsible for their pets. People in my neighborhood don't seem to get that...but it's mainly with cats. Cats that scratch up the paint on your car, crap in your yard, get into your garage and urinate on your brand new rig...>:( Property damage, of course...not injury.

Sometimes forced responsibility is the only way to get people to take responsibility.

The Shar-pei that used to live next to Joe growing up should have been destroyed; it killed at least 3 neighborhood dogs. Those were different times though, and peole in the neighborhood were more afraid of the dog's owner than the dog, I'm told...

Look, if Joe ever logged on to DZ.com and saw this thread, I'm sure he'd want to counter most of what I said. That's his opinion. He still knows that the dogs his sister is breeding (they'll be uncontrolled fucking, I don't know if that's really 'breeding') are moronic slabs of beef with teeth. He also acknowledges that given their location, some of those dogs that they sell will likely end up in a ring in some nasty basement.

Oh well. Protect your breed. Stop idiots like my s-i-l from buying 5 pitbulls, calling herself a 'kennel' and letting them fuck because her baby-daddy thinks it's cool. :S
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

When my neighbors moved in across the street a few years ago I thought to myself "Oh great, they have a pitbull". B| A couple of weeks later while getting my mail, I turned around to see it coming across the street towards me at a pretty good pace. As he got closer the only thing I could think was "Damn that's a big dog" & maybe if I threw the mail to distract him I could then make a run for it or tackle him & go for his throat. He got about 5 feet from me & slowed down, tail wagging like crazy. I almost got licked to death!! :D He's a great dog!! This is him with my neighbor's 3 year old grandaughter Bella, his BFF. :)

Don

Here's to friends!

It's not the breed. It's stupid owners.

I disagree. Certainly some attacks are due to stupid owners, but examples of good pitbulls that wouldn't hurt anyone don't cancel out all the examples of unprovoked attacks. It seems that I usually hear the owners of those dogs claim that they can't understand it, their dogs had always been such a gentle family pet, etc.

To claim that there is not difference in risk for different breeds is not realistic. There are desirable behavioral characteristics that are claimed to be different for different breeds, why should we believe it doesn't apply for undesirable characteristics?

You're right. There are undesirable characterics in all breeds. As are there desirable characteristics. And I still maintain that the way any animal behaves is mostly due to how they're raised.

The only pit bulls I've known have been very well behaved, loving animals. And I think it has EVERYTHING to do with how they've been raised. Have I met an aggressive pit bull - no I haven't. But I don't have friends that would treat their pets badly either. They spend HOURS with their pets socializing and training them. Their pets are part of the "family". Maybe that has a lot to do with it.

Any dog can attack. I know this first hand. I was bit by a dog a few years ago and it was COMPLETELY unprovoked. And it wasn't an "evil" purebred either. It was your run of the mill "mutt". (We've mended our fences - he and I are pretty good friends now :)
Have you ever met a pit bull?? Just curious if your comments come from first hand knowledge or just what you've heard in the media??
'Shell

You're right. There are undesirable characterics in all breeds. As are there desirable characteristics. And I still maintain that the way any animal behaves is mostly due to how they're raised.

Quite right, it is mostly due to how they're raised. The difference between mostly and completely is the problem. I cannot understand how a pit bull or other such breed with a similar reputation is so desirable that it is worth the additional risk. Some attacks cannot be blamed on poor treatment or provocation, and I think the reputation some breeds have for being dangerous is probably deserved. Pit bulls are able to kill much larger dogs, correct? They are able to do this because of their anatomy, strength, and ferocity. Why are those desirable characteristics?

Have you ever met a pit bull?? Just curious if your comments come from first hand knowledge or just what you've heard in the media??

Yes, I've met a few that have been nice, and one in particular down the street from me that is really vicious. It is owned by the coach of my son's baseball team. a really nice guy that doesn't mistreat it.

Your anecdotal stories are no more valid than those reported in the media. Have you ever heard of a pack of golden retrievers attacking some kid? I've heard of many such stories involving rottweilers and pit bulls. Perhaps all the golden retriever attacks just don't get reported, but I don't think so.

I don't hate pit bulls. They have to earn my trust.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am