SSHusky

Do you put skydiving coach on your resume?

Hey,
I am finding myself creating a resume for a chemistry research position. I was wondering what you all thought of putting my coaching experience for nonskydiving related work.
Coaching shows that I am a leader and can think coolly in stressful situations. At the same time skydiving receives such bad responses. People might think that I am a risk taker (in a bad way), and that I am a pot smoking adrenaline junky who would leave work just because the sky is blue. Now I don't believe in these stereotypes because I know better but what about my employer?
What do you guys think?

I have previously put skydiving ratings on my goals for work. Some managers thought it funny...some simply didn't appreciate it.
I'd prolly leave it off any professional business these days.
They'll find out soon enough usually anyway.;)

I think you should put it on there. I agree, be proud of what you do and have accomplished. It does show leadership, as well as drive. And it also lets your prospective employer know a little bit more about what makes you tick. I think it is also a way to start getting rid of some of that negitive publicity that follows us skydivers nearly everywhere we go. Good luck with the job interviews...

I have listed my accomplishments as a co-organizer of world record events on my resume. It shows the employer that I have organizational skills and can meet a challenge.

That stuff may not be right for some job applications though. YMMV
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I list them on the last page in other info as "CSPA Coach and Instructor". If having someone with coaching skills in the workplace is of interest to them, they will probably notice it, otherwise, they wont (which is fine)

great idea.

I would do that with USPA S/L instructor. then they have to ask you about it to find out it means skydiving, and you can explain it, rather than them just assuming pothead.

MB 3528, RB 1182

I list them on the last page in other info as "CSPA Coach and Instructor". If having someone with coaching skills in the workplace is of interest to them, they will probably notice it, otherwise, they wont (which is fine)

great idea.

I would do that with USPA S/L instructor. then they have to ask you about it to find out it means skydiving, and you can explain it, rather than them just assuming pothead.

Horrible idea.
I have to read a lot of resumes and interview people regularly. This is not something that I want to see on a resume and if I end up talking about someone's weekend hobbys during an interview, I will be wasting my time and unhappy about it.

But then you have the whole health insurance issue... I know there were posts in Bonfire before, but what is your luck and being a skydiver and getting health insurance?

Health insurance hasn't been a problem for me. Getting a life insurance policy is more problematic.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

When I was interviewing for a new job in a different state, I told them I couldn't make my final decision until I went to the DZ's that weekend. :D:D:D

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

I put "Nude model for painting" in my resume, so I'd probably put "skydiving instructor" there if I had been a skydiving instructor. People notice things like that, and the reactions are generally positive.

Now the only skydiving experience I could add to my resume would be "packing assistant", "3-way formation skydiver", "Accuracy queen", and "Christmas tree decoration", and I don't think that would be worth adding.
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

Write your resume for your intended audience.

If you will be teaching soccer, "skydiving instructor" might be valid experience. If you are applying for a job working on aircraft avionics, "skydiving instructor" and "private pilot" might both make sense.

But if you are looking for a job as an actuary, probably best to leave it off.

After going through a very intense hiring process a couple of years ago that involved delving into every aspect of my personal life, I'll tell you to leave it off your resume. This was when I did nothing but skydiving for my living and it was a serious point of contention during the entire interview process. Now at the job its not that big of a deal, in fact a few coworkers have come and made some jumps and its nearly weekly someone stops me in the hallway and asks about it with genuine interest.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'd say no, if you are not looking for a job in aviation. Not relevant. I've read lots of resumes, and the less extraneous information the better. I want to know what experience you have that is specifically relevant to the job.

With that said, I work in aviation, and feel it would not be irrelevant to see that on a resume for an aviation related job. I work in an avionics shop, and I listed my dz work experience on my resume. I also did not list any non-aviation work experiance on my resume when applying to avionics shops.