stitch

Greencard marriage contracts

This may end up in S/C.

What are your opinions concerning this type of scam??

My roommate dropped a bomb on me last night and said she was thinking seriously about doing this for a guy so he can stay and work in this country. She has known him for about 3 days. She's 25 and somewhat naive. She is also a homeowner.

She's like he is gonna pay me. I'm like I bet not much. I told her he has everything to gain and you have a good chance of losing everything over a couple of thousand dollars. It would be a different situation if she didn't have any assets. As is the norm with the majority of these scams.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

scam or not, i've known 2 very good friends who did this, and while it wasn't a scam on either part, they just ended up going through a ton of trouble in the end. it's a PITA. tell her not to do it.

It sounds trite, but it just never works out from what i've seen. Now, if she actually has feelings for the guy...maybe. but even then, they better be strong feelings.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

She should hold out for someone from China.

"families in China have been paying the brothers between $20,000 and $60,000 to secure fake American fiancés for their sons and daughters, so that they could get over here on fiancé visas."

http://immigration.about.com/od/familybased/a/marriagefraud.htm

Where are you going to live when he moves in?

Well, if myself and others (whom also believe its a bad idea) can't talk her out of it she won't have to worry about where I live, cause I told her I would move out in an attempt to derail this.

He works and lives out of state and says he won't move here. But as I've told her, should he change his mind, there is very little she can do about it. As a marriage license will give him legal rights to her assets.
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

As someone who is married to some one from another country, I can tell you, the process is a pain in the A$$.

The Immigration Department is slow. It can take years to get this done. You will need to explian why you live in different states in the interview. We were grilled on why we kept separate bank accounts (we have 3, yours, mine and ours).

Quite honestly, I would only do it for someone I truly loved or for bog $$ upfront. It would take a six figure offer for me to BEGIN to consider it.

She will also need to pay for a Pre-nup to guard her assets.

Overall, just not a good idea.

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

They'll probably get busted, and it won't be pretty.
The system is set up in such a way that it is very easy for an immigration officer to tell when a marriage is legit and when it is not. And as mentioned above, it takes a long time before one gets a permanent resident alien card, and I doubt your roommate could put up with someone she doesn't love that long.
Not to mention that he will be legally entitled to a share of her wealth (which may be ridiculous today, but may not be in 3 years), or alimony...
Good times!

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

For all the reasons stated in this thread, you're right and she's wrong.
Oh, there's one more. She could be prosecuted criminally for perjury and immigration fraud and wind up spending the rest of her life as a convicted felon.

She's like he is gonna pay me. I'm like I bet not much.

Then again, if he learns to speak like that, he just might pass for a native.

For all the reasons stated in this thread, you're right and she's wrong.
Oh, there's one more. She could be prosecuted criminally for perjury and immigration fraud and wind up spending the rest of her life as a convicted felon.

Then again, if he learns to speak like that, he just might pass for a native.

Not to totally play the devil's advocate - because I also believe it's a crazy thing to do for some one she doesn't know - only slightly less crazy to do for someone she's actually in love with (but not ready to marry yet) but -

if they look like they belong together, ie., she's 24 and white and he's 55 and chinese, they'll likely have a very easy time passing the INS interview.

Also, she can always cry scam if things don't work out - and if he hasn't yet received his green card - he won't have much of a shot aat anything belonging to her.

Anyway - it's ALOT of work and ALOT of hassle and will most likely drag on for years.

Overall bad idea.

Action expresses priority. - Mahatma Ghandi

I see no problem with it. You get married and work the system correctly and maybe come out with a few G's for your trouble- good for you. Plenty of other marriages between Americans are a sham- that's really not for any of us to decide (or the government). You want to fix that? Fine- no green card pathway through marriage. The new hubby or wifey can apply as a migrant like any one else or you need to go live in another country.

Edit- not saying it's a good idea (cuz it isn't) just that I don't see the problem with a few people gaming the system legally. There will always be some cracks to slip through.

I've done this successfully as the immigrant, marrying a US citizen after knowing her for about three days. It took about 6-7 (below average) months from the time off marriage until the green card process was finished - I paid a lawyer $2500 to take care of it, so I wasn't troubled (I spent time with my wife instead). Unless there's love or some form of motivation, those months will be though, because the immigrant can't work, can't drive a car without looking in the mirror for a cop, can't usually open accounts, invest, pay bills etc.

The INS interview is though, they treat you as shit and try disrespectful questions/comments in an attempt to break you, so the marriage really need to be legit, living together, doing things together etc. Whether it be for "love" or business, the INS can't tell. The point is that fake marriage, i.e. going to the interview without knowing and having a history with the person, is damn near impossible without significant time spent memorizing/developing a common story. There is also up to $250,000 and/or 5 years in prison for such a "scam", for both the US citizen and/or the immigrant. If she marries him and then screams "scam" when she starts losing money, she's in for legal trouble herself - she can't get off clean.

The INS also just about doubled their prices, and so the fees "someone" must pay is around $2300 + full medical test with some expensive blood tests (cost me another $650). Add the lawyer, and the initial immigration process is a $5000 adventure in retainers alone.

I wouldn't recommend doing it without living with the person, it isn't likely to succeed. And also make sure the immigrant have at least $20,000 to spend over the next eight months - it takes that much going through lawyers, INS, food and living costs and entertainment, and establishing residency and doing fun stuff together, before being allowed to work.
I like subway.

Goodness...tell her to run away.

Run far.

Run fast.

Especially if she's a homeowner. Some states require spouses to be added to the deed.

If they split after a couple years, this guy could really put the screws to her.

The more I think about this, the more I'm getting really mad. Not at the guy, but at your friend. What the f**k is she thinking? This type of thing is not strictly legal either.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Yes, but most (not all) folks on dropzones don't have much in the way of assets.

What worries me the most is, "Mr. I wanna Greencard" biffs in somewhere with a major injury and more than likely doesn't have medical coverage.
Who and what do you think the creditors are going to go after??
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

I was offered $20,000 by a friend for such an arrangement. I probably would have considered it, but I was makeing good money, and $20K would have been just a drop in the bucket.

She eventually found someone else, and she got her green card. I never did ask her how hard the interview was.
There are battered women? I've been eating 'em plain all of these years...

I've done this successfully as the immigrant, marrying a US citizen after knowing her for about three days. It took about 6-7 (below average) months from the time off marriage until the green card process was finished - I paid a lawyer $2500 to take care of it, so I wasn't troubled (I spent time with my wife instead). Unless there's love or some form of motivation, those months will be though, because the immigrant can't work, can't drive a car without looking in the mirror for a cop, can't usually open accounts, invest, pay bills etc.

The INS interview is though, they treat you as shit and try disrespectful questions/comments in an attempt to break you, so the marriage really need to be legit, living together, doing things together etc. Whether it be for "love" or business, the INS can't tell. The point is that fake marriage, i.e. going to the interview without knowing and having a history with the person, is damn near impossible without significant time spent memorizing/developing a common story. There is also up to $250,000 and/or 5 years in prison for such a "scam", for both the US citizen and/or the immigrant. If she marries him and then screams "scam" when she starts losing money, she's in for legal trouble herself - she can't get off clean.

The INS also just about doubled their prices, and so the fees "someone" must pay is around $2300 + full medical test with some expensive blood tests (cost me another $650). Add the lawyer, and the initial immigration process is a $5000 adventure in retainers alone.

I wouldn't recommend doing it without living with the person, it isn't likely to succeed. And also make sure the immigrant have at least $20,000 to spend over the next eight months - it takes that much going through lawyers, INS, food and living costs and entertainment, and establishing residency and doing fun stuff together, before being allowed to work.

Looks like you had it rough. I ended up paying about $2350 which included attorneys fees. The INS interview was a breeze.In fact we got interviewed from a spanish guy from outside the USA. I ended up having a laugh with him about how a foreigner s interviewing an english guy for a green card. Then again, my marriage is legit.
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

Damn right the lawyer hosed me. I got married the day before, and had one day left of the 30-day grace period after my visa expired, and didn't know exactly the level of force I was up against (thought they'd care a lot more, and didn't know there was a 180-day period you can be illegal before being banned for 10 years). Called the lawyer and said "I need a lawyer NOW, fixing this thing before tomorrow". He said...sure...just...pay...me...V.I.P retainer, and we'll take care of u! I did, and after two hours of irrelevant talking about life and politics the lawyer told me "you need to collect these documents". Took me two months to get it all, no need for the expensive retainer at all...
I like subway.

Also, she can always cry scam if things don't work out - and if he hasn't yet received his green card - he won't have much of a shot aat anything belonging to her.

actually, this depends on the state. NY has "marital property" laws. At the divorce, everything is split 50/50, unless the couple agrees upon something else. So, If she marries him, then hits the lotto, he is entitled to half at the divorce, irregardles of whether or not he has a green card. Also, if she "sponsors" him, she is responsible for his actions for 10 years. This is both criminal and financial. So, If he decides to go out and rack up $100,000 of credit card debt and files bankruptcy, she is responsible for that 100K.

A friend of mine actually is in one of the greencard agreements. After the marriage, she had to apply for her card, and apparently they have to be married for two years before she can apply for the ten year card. Once she gets the 10-year, they can get divorced. In the mean time, he's living under the same roof to show "proof" if the INS was to investigate, but it's strictly a roommate situation. It's kind of odd, but whatever.

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

Then again, my marriage is legit. .

So that $20,000 wedding gift you gave me was for real? :D:D:D

Oh honey, you are the best!:P

20k where did you get that from, with the ring rig and house your at about 45k right now dear:P
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

I was offered $20,000 by a friend for such an arrangement. I probably would have considered it, but I was makeing good money, and $20K would have been just a drop in the bucket.

She eventually found someone else, and she got her green card. I never did ask her how hard the interview was.

Yeah I was offered the same amount but figured that even 20k isnt worth the time and hassle of it. And being "trapped" into a deal for 3 years didnt really appeal to me in the least.
Poetry don't work on whores.