bodypilot90

who is using linux

I use Puppy Linux on a live DVD. The OS with browser, word processor, video player, etc. uses like 100 Megs of the disk so there's tons of room left to save files and stuff. You can also put Puppy on a camera flash RAM wafer thingy and carry it with you.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

I just upgraded to Fiesty Fawn a week ago from Dapper Drake. I really like it. Everything seems to run much faster and very smooth, compared to windows. When I tried running strait from the CD it was a little slow but once the partitions were all set up and the ubuntu was installed it runs very well. I have been running Ubuntu for around 6 months now and I don't think I will ever go back to windows.

Enjoy!

Matt Davies

I have 50 or so Linux servers in my network (www.skydivingmovies.com is one). Doing all sorts of things. Most are Fedora, some are Redhat ES. I've been running linux since the 0.99pl4 days (Slackware 0.9 or something) back in 1994 and Redhat since 3.0.3 days. Redhat is pretty good, and it is what I know, I haven't look at the others recently.

I've been using Debian for years, for work and for pleasure. It's an administrator's paradise, every question I've ever come across has had a solution already posted somewhere on the web if not directly in the documentation.

Although it is a little rough around the edges--I had the luxury of ramping up one of my colleagues on the Debian Way this year, and it took about a month of q&a before he became self-sufficient, tho he's a slacker and doesn't like to look things up himself. Ubuntu is based off of Debian, I'm sure you know, and does seem to polish up many of the rough spots.
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

I use Ubuntu 7.04 on my desktop, Xubuntu 7.04 on an old laptop and Maemo (debian for internet tablet) on my Nokia 770.

If it wasn't for dual LCD + 3D acceleration with an ATI graphics card I would say I couldn't be happier but ATI Linux drivers suck.

Ubuntu will setup dual boot itself during install if you select it.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot?action=show&redirect=WindowsDualBootHowTo

I have a hidden WinXP partition but it never gets used - I use WinXP in VMWare for the couple programs that don't play well, Garmin GPS being the big one.

There is a GParted live CD that can take care of the partitioning if you don't want to use what is built into the Feisty live CD.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php

I messed around with Edgy Eft a bit... took a bunch of tweaking to get it to correctly show my 21" widescreen samsung (1680 x 1050) on a Radeon X1300 vid card (yes, i know that contributes) ... I was seeing the same stuff they talk about in that thread...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I have a laptop that I rarely use and am thinking of trying to go the dual boot route with it. It is currently running WinXP Home, but since it is rarely used.... if i brick the thing, I'm not too worried about losing anything not already backed up.
Wish Me Luck!!
Goggles and Teeth

"You fall like a greased safe!!!"

I'm gonna download Ubuntu tonight... I also ordered a CD... that will be a few weeks till it gets here though. I don't use that laptop often, so it will be a "project" now.

I'll try "Fiesty Fawn" first.... gotta go with the newest stuff....
Goggles and Teeth

"You fall like a greased safe!!!"

That's exactly my setup. Over a period of one year I've booted XP less than 10 times. I hope you didn't install the 64bit version. I had few problems with flash player on the 64bit.
Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!