jumpoutnow

US History/Native Americans

I think about some crazy stuff sometimes. History buffs how about this one.....

North and South America was named after navigator Amerigo Vespucci.

The Indians native to the U.S. are not from India at all.

So, what were North and South America called before the discovery by Christopher Columbus?

And what were the "Indians" called before their discovery by the explorers?

Just another eluding mystery.

Input?
People are crazy. Cuz there's more of 'em.

Um, they were called people, and were usually referred to by the tribe they were apart of.

There was no set name for "north & south America", most natives didn't think in that sort of way, they weren't westerners. I think they just called it home.

So, what were North and South America called before the discovery by Christopher Columbus?

Essentially . . . nothing. The people that lived in those regions had no concept of global land masses.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

"Free"

Some were free, others were not. Slavery was practiced by some nations, others not. On the West coast the Haida were tribute collecting thugs that oppressed many people much like the Vikings did in Europe.
The truth is because the entire hemisphere was non-literate we just don't know that much for sure. The historical records of story telling cultures are extremely susceptible to revisionism.

"Free"

Some were free, others were not. Slavery was practiced by some nations, others not. On the West coast the Haida were tribute collecting thugs that oppressed many people much like the Vikings did in Europe.
The truth is because the entire hemisphere was non-literate we just don't know that much for sure. The historical records of story telling cultures are extremely susceptible to revisionism.

So are our history books.:D

All history is. On the other hand we still have the pre-revision versions to examine and thus mitigate the effectiveness of the revision. If a story is revised around the fire and is not corrected for one generation, the old story is gone. This is an extremely cogent matter to Natives today as many of the languages are in danger of being lost; many of the stories are going with them. The task of speaking with the elders and writing down the stories is nothing short of frantic in many communities.

"Free"

Well yeah, history is written by the winner, not the loser

They were called happy.

Oh, I'm not so sure about that. Life was brutally hard. Just trying to find enough to eat was an all-day chore. Little protection from winter. Warfare amongst tribes. They did what they had to do to survive, but I'm not so sure they were "happy" about their state of life.

Attached: ancient Indian pictograph depicting a man shot with a spear.

Saw an interesting show on PBS recently, talking about the Native Americans and the American military in WWII. Their enlistment rates were phenomenal. It pointed out that in their culture, the warrior was revered, and it was a rite-of-passage for young men. They lost that once they had been relegated to the reservations. So by joining the white man's army, they regained a part of their culture, even though they were second-class citizens in the country for which they served. It was also interesting that the military made an effort to integrate the Native Americans into white units, but at the same time attempted to keep the black soldiers segregated.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

talking about the Native Americans and the American military in WWII.

So can you imagine the poor Japanese cryptographer hearing Navajo for the first time on the airways? He probably turned around to his commander with a puzzled look on his face like, "OK, now what the hell do we do?"
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

They were called happy.

Oh, I'm not so sure about that. Life was brutally hard. Just trying to find enough to eat was an all-day chore. Little protection from winter. Warfare amongst tribes. They did what they had to do to survive, but I'm not so sure they were "happy" about their state of life.

Attached: ancient Indian pictograph depicting a man shot with a spear.

Does everything have to be a fucking arguement with you?

Lets try this. They were probably happier then after they were gathered up and forced to leave the land that was theirs before we we got here and forced to walk till many of them were dead.

Do you think thatis a true statement? Now go find a fucking picture of an indian slave to prove that there were more unhappy indians.

talking about the Native Americans and the American military in WWII.

So can you imagine the poor Japanese cryptographer hearing Navajo for the first time on the airways? He probably turned around to his commander with a puzzled look on his face like, "OK, now what the hell do we do?"

Funny you brought that up. I saw a PBS show about the code-talkers a couple years ago. It told about a Navajo enlisted man (not a code-talker) who was captured by the Japanese after they had caught on to what language they were hearing. They wanted him to decode it. He told them he could tell them the literal words that were being spoken, but he could not explain what the messages meant.

That is, there were two levels of coding: The Navajo language its self, and a separate mapping of Navajo words to military-related English words.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

They were called happy.

I'm still holding out hope that we will find life on another planet so we can go and conquer it so the indians don't go down in history as the race that got fucked the most by the white man.

How's that for something to think about.

You need to read up on Australian history, unfortunately we could give you a run for your money on fucking over of indigenous peoples.
In our nation censuses, we didnt even include our aboriginals as HUMAN until the mid 70's. they we class under chattles and live stock:S:S>:(
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

They were called happy.

I'm still holding out hope that we will find life on another planet so we can go and conquer it so the indians don't go down in history as the race that got fucked the most by the white man.

How's that for something to think about.

yeah, and africa needs white slaves so our our great grandparents can bitch about it in years to come(sarcasm folks)
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

That is, there were two levels of coding: The Navajo language its self, and a separate mapping of Navajo words to military-related English words.

Yup.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

i think that indiginous native americans,,, Both North ANd South Americans. might have had it ok...

these were sophisticated cultures, which existed on this side of the world for thousands of years. before the land was "discovered" by europeans...
As long as there were plenty of resources,,, clean water, game, fish and fowl,,,,I believe the people did ok..
Remember,, If the land was NOT bountiful the tribes moved on.....They were established into villages and cities, and judging by the Mayan, Incan, Aztec, Pueblo, Plains Indians, and the tribes of the eastern seaboard....they had extensive social and cultural ties...
as long as territory was available so there was litlle geographic overlapping, I believe these people knew ( learned ) how to best exploit the rich natural resources around them....
Upon learning of agriculture and livestock domestication, hunters and gatherers became farmers and herders... Some of these cultures also had extensive religious components...
Gods..... based on nature and maybe even on extraTerrestrials, are strong in their artifacts...
A naive' and technologically deficient culture would surely rate an Extra terrestrial as a God....especially a benevolant, helpful, teaching, E T ...
Clean water game, food.... tried and tested construction techniques to shelter from the winters, group cooperation for the survival of all, safe and proper utilization of fire, for cooking, for warmth, for protection against predators,, once they had it figured out, I feel they thrived,, until the time of illness, hatred, ignorance, and disrespect from the Conquistadores... overwhelmed then...

sad... to think of it now, But those who preceeded the natives who had to face the white man,,, by even just 100 years,,, may have had it OK..... in a rustic, earthy way...

jt

B of Science Anthropology earned 1975.