SarahC07

Beowulf

You go first.

Classic, ancient story from English literature.

But this movie just turned it into yet another dungeons and dragons kid's tale, which won't be appreciated as the true classic.

I hated the way they took live actors, and turned them into cartoon-like characters, by messing with their colors and texture, and making their movements jerky.

Angeline Jolie sure looked fine though (image attached - NSFW).

I hated the way they took live actors, and turned them into cartoon-like characters, by messing with their colors and texture, and making their movements jerky.

Angeline Jolie sure looked fine though.

AGREED. There was no consistency. Some of the characters looked like real live human beings and some of them look almost completely digitally created. Poorly done.

I think the movie was entertaining but not very well presented. However, the demons were fairly well done - that first thing scared the crap out of me.

And Ms. Jolie was obviously digitally edited - so much in fact that even her face didn't look like her and forget about her body.

Has anyone seen this one yet? If so, I'd like to hear what you thought of it. :)

As mentioned by others it's quite a departure from the classic and I can appreciate that aspect as well. One should probably never judge a book by its movie. ;^)

What -I- got out of the movie version was that it was "playing" with the epic written version. That the written version, which came from an oral tradition, is the "story" and that the movie version is perhaps the "real" version of the story. Even the characters in the movie talk about how how this will be remembered in history, song and story. So, to me that was an interested take on how to make the film.

Contrast that with "The 300", which is pretty much the exact opposite concept with the movie version being the more exaggerated and epic story version of the way to tell a story.

As for the animation techniques being used in Beowulf, one of the things I -always- ask myself when viewing an animated film with humans as the main characters is, "Is this actually necessary?" What about the medium ADDS to the telling of the story? In the case of a lot of animated movies, actually very little. Take Disney's animated version of Pocahontas for instance. There is really no compelling reason for that movie to have been animated. Beowulf, by comparison, does have -some- compelling reasons to be animated; most notably the way they decided to place and move the virtual cameras. That, and it's far easier to make a 3D movie in a computer than trying to blend live action and animation in a 3D movie.

That said, almost nothing bugs me more than when a technique is used that takes me OUT of the movie and causes me to think about the technique rather than the story itself. The 3D in Beowulf is stunning, but . . . come on . . . haven't we moved beyond crap just jumping out of the screen and poking you in the eye to "prove" we're watching a 3D movie? I was very disappointed with that aspect.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Has anyone seen this one yet? If so, I'd like to hear what you thought of it. :)

I saw the 3D version this afternoon & found myself squirming in chair while spears seemed to be waving in front of my face, inches from my nose. It took about 10 minutes into the movie for me to adjust to the digital rendering of real actors, but I thought it was good after my perception adapted. I'd say go for the 3D one cause there are some good effects.

The 3D in Beowulf is stunning, but . . . come on . . . haven't we moved beyond crap just jumping out of the screen and poking you in the eye to "prove" we're watching a 3D movie?

Haha... no I guess I'm not beyod that yet. I enjoyed it because I haven't watched a 3D flick in ages =]

Squeak, in LA area, you have to go to the IMAX theater in Irvine. it is huge screen and 3D. I'm planning on taking my gal there to see it one of these days.

Shoermie check to see if it's playing when i am there we can get a group together and invade IMAXB|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Squeak, in LA area, you have to go to the IMAX theater in Irvine. it is huge screen and 3D. I'm planning on taking my gal there to see it one of these days.

Or the one in LA . . . or Ontario . . . or it's also playing in digital 3D which is how I saw it. Not just IMAX.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I liked the 13th warrior - mostly because I thought it was historical. Then I read the end script, and found out it wasn't [:/] Haven't seen the movie yet.

As far as Beowulf - I went into it not knowing that it was animated. I thought the beginning of it was a preview for a PS3 video game :D After the way-too-long interval it took me to realize that this was, in fact, the movie :), I tried to look at it objectively. At the end of the movie, I realized I rather liked it - yep, it was way different than the epic poem, and the computer generated characters were inconsistent. Sometimes, they looked too real - other times, it looked like a video game. But overall, I think they did a pretty good job - they emphasized the classic three monsters of the original story, and they put in enough 21st century drama to make it fun to watch. I won't buy it on DVD, but it's worth renting. Maybe not the $10 for a 3-D matinee that I paid :S

Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Beowulf is currently playing at the IMAX at the Universal Citywalk, which is where the iFly tunnel is also located. Squeak, if you'd like to go on Tuesday the 18th at 1:40 pm (unless the times change), we could see the movie and maybe have a quick lunch, before I go in to work. (I have the night shift on that Tuesday beginning at 5pm.)

Let me know, if anyone is interested in seeing Beowulf on that day. I'll wait to see it, if you guys want to get together, then. If anyone wants to fly in the tunnel on that day, as well, please let me know. We have skydivers visit us all of the time. It always brightens our day to see our friends flying and having a blast. :)

Beowulf is currently playing at the IMAX at the Universal Citywalk, which is where the iFly tunnel is also located. Squeak, if you'd like to go on Tuesday the 18th at 1:40 pm (unless the times change), we could see the movie and maybe have a quick lunch, before I go in to work. (I have the night shift on that Tuesday beginning at 5pm.)

Let me know, if anyone is interested in seeing Beowulf on that day. I'll wait to see it, if you guys want to get together, then. If anyone wants to fly in the tunnel on that day, as well, please let me know. We have skydivers visit us all of the time. It always brightens our day to see our friends flying and having a blast. :)

YES YES YES YES and YES:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I give it 3 out of 5 stars. Liked it but didn't love it.

Didn't see the 3D version because I've never liked 3D movies....

The animation was distracting....it did look like a video game! I was hoping for more realistic action; didn't realize the whole darn thing was going to be animation. Oh well!

I just saw it this past Friday. Let me preface this by saying that I am a huge Neil Gaiman fan and have been since my junior high school years. I really liked what he and Avary (I believe it was Roger Avary??) did with the script and the "re-telling" of the tale.

I know a lot of people seem to have a bit of a problem with the animation aspect of it, but it does allow for a lot more creative freedom with costuming, facial expressions, special effects, and different camera angles.

Though not completely fluid, the animation was heads and shoulders above something like Polar Express (another Zemeckis film) or even Golem from Lord of the Rings.

Overall, I rather enjoyed it, but as I said, I have a soft spot for Gaiman's work.

Beth and I saw the 3D version of it over the weekend... the the movie itself was so-so... but the 3D it was Awesome!!!

I wore the glasses part of the drive home too... they were quite dorky... I felt sooo cool!!! B|

Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

The shitty movie was called The 13th Warrior...Michael Crichtons novel was (originally) titled Eaters of the Dead, an excellent reimagining of Beowulf.
The new movie Beowulf I saw in 3D and I thought it sucked. And I am a huge fan of Robert Zmeckis AND Neil Gaimon, but they really dropped the ball with this piece of shit...

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

Let me know, if anyone is interested in seeing Beowulf on that day. I'll wait to see it, if you guys want to get together, then. If anyone wants to fly in the tunnel on that day, as well, please let me know. We have skydivers visit us all of the time. It always brightens our day to see our friends flying and having a blast.

2 weeks away, anyone else comming along?
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?