floridadiver81

Automotive Paint Question.

Im wondering if any of ya'll know anything about automotive paint. I plan on turning my car into a show car. With that comes custom painting...something i dont have a whole lot of experience with. I plan on doing my interior and the exterior. The car is a 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse spyder(convertible). Im communicating with a shop in California and they will be custom mixing the paint for me...for a price of course. I asked him how much i would need and he just mixes it...he doenst apply it.

So if anyone has any experience with painting cars that could give me a good estimate as to how much i would need i would be very grateful. Its going to be a bright orange color...and im changing the interior from black to orange which i know will take at least 3-4 coats. The exterior will be sanded down and primed.

Thanks ahead for all advice given!!
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie
"Fight the air, and the air will kick your ass!!! "-Specialkaye

If you've never painted a car before and want this to be for a show car... just pay someone to paint it. Its a lot harder then it looks. I've helped paint a few and unless you already have a full paint booth and the resperators, the guns, the nossles, etc.. its way cheaper and a better job to have a pro paint it.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

If you've never painted a car before and want this to be for a show car... just pay someone to paint it. Its a lot harder then it looks. I've helped paint a few and unless you already have a full paint booth and the resperators, the guns, the nossles, etc.. its way cheaper and a better job to have a pro paint it.

Here's an article. I've done a lot of painting in my life. You can have it. Have fun>http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/mopp_0612_how_to_paint_a_car/index.html
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Like someone else stated if you want it to look perfect you will be better off paying a pro to do it.
But if you do insist on doing it your self you may want to look into renting a paint booth. There is a place near me where you can rent everything you need, minus the paint. As far as the amount needed call a body shop or maybe the guy mixing the paint.
Don't forget to post some pics either!

Painting a car is like skydiving. As a beginner you can own the best gear have the latest and fastest canopy and read all of the books and then you could jump but...............

get my drift?

I however was like you. I just did it anyway (paint the car that is). After about 20 paint jobs I could let somebody else look at it without having to explain this run and that run and how I was going to buff out the other imperfections.
I worked for a Lexus dealer at the time and had full access to state of the art equipment.

Good luck! It can be alot of fun.

guys...i already have access to the tools witht he exception of the paint booth.

The original question was how much paint will i actually need....lol.

But thanks for the posts though!
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie
"Fight the air, and the air will kick your ass!!! "-Specialkaye

assuming: base clear,probally less than a gallon...depends on the mix ratio and coverage of the paint, but if you are doing this yourself, having someone out of state custom color it...i would double the amount. since there will be mistakes and parts that need to be repainted again....Why dont you use a local paint store? ...tony

oh yea, gun type will play a big factor in the amount also..hvlp..lvlp...conventional, old binks7 suction...etc..

assuming: base clear,probally less than a gallon...depends on the mix ratio and coverage of the paint, but if you are doing this yourself, having someone out of state custom color it...i would double the amount. since there will be mistakes and parts that need to be repainted again....Why dont you use a local paint store? ...tony

True DAT! :S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Besides the cost involved with the right equipment (not Harbor Freight crap), spraying a good paint job that will look decent on a street ride is hard enough. Applying paint that will win shows takes a pro. An experienced pro.

The best way to save money is to do all the prep yourself. Go through and set all the gaps right, get all the sheet metal work out of the way. Let the shop do the mud and sanding, if that's not done just right the paint will look like crap.

Crappy paint will make a cool car into a shitty looking car. Unless you're putting together a '31 5-window, then you need the done in your garage look in flat black with some really killer pin striping.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Get a good brush or maybe two:P

Don't laugh. My brother-in-law hand painted (with a brush) his boyhood dream car when he bought it. He was already in his 40's when he did this! :o From primer grey to brushed on brown! B| It really looked bad!

When it came down to his son inheriting the car when he went off to school, his son would not accept it! :D

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Brush for the pin-stripes maybe...for the car itself ya gotta use a roller! :S

Been done.
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2331682&an=0&page=4#Post2331682
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2655425&an=0&page=0#Post2655425
When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Brush for the pin-stripes maybe...for the car itself ya gotta use a roller! :S

Been done.
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2331682&an=0&page=4#Post2331682
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2655425&an=0&page=0#Post2655425

W O W!

Very impressive! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~