SkydiveStMarys

So who is going to do the religious "thing"

this Christmas? Anyone going to midnight service? My oldest son (soon to be 13)said that he would like to attend church this sunday. I feel I need to do that for him. Now I just need to find a church that I feel comfortable with. My choices are either the Methodist church, Church of God, or the Episcopal church.

Bobbi

We always attend. If you're not sure about a church, maybe find a "non-denominational" church in your area.

Merry Christmas

I understand where your coming from, but since he asked, who am I to say no. He needs to figure out the religion "thing" on his own. Whether or not he wants to go that route or whatever....its a personal choice, one that I can't make for him.

Bobbi

I can understand going for the kid.

I go with my mom when I can get home for christmas. She knows how I feel about organized religion, but if it makes my mom happy, I don't mind going to church. I think I actually pay more attention now that I did when I was kid going every week.

j
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

The methodist church's Pastor is a jerk. Total upheaval over there, BUT there youth group is huge and pretty cool. If he wants to go all the time, so be it. I certainly wouldn't want to stop him from trying to find himself.

Bobbi

It's never good when the pastor is a jerk, but if they have some other good leaders working with the kids, it might be okay. You just want to know that you're comfortable with whoever's going to be in charge.
TPM Sister #102

I've found that the drop zone is a lot like church.

People originally go to church to worship God and find fellowship with other Christians.

People originally go to the drop zone to skydive and find fellowship with other skydivers.

The more you go to church and study the Bible, the more educated you become about Christianity.

The more you go to the drop zone and study the SIM, the more educated you become about skydiving.

The more you go to church, the more obsessed with Christianity you become. You start teaching sunday school classes, vacation bible school, become a deacon, board member, sing in the choir, etc. Anytime the church doors are open, you're there selling cookies or setting up tables and chairs for the next potluck dinner. Before you know it, you're involved in church politics and its drama drama drama.

The more you go to the drop zone, the more obssessed with skydiving you become. You get your coaches rating, teach first jump courses, help plan boogies, recruit people from other drop zones to come to your boogies, organize hit and chugs, form smaller sects of the community like Rodriguez, muff, pink mafia, etc. Before you know it, you're involved in the dz politics and its drama drama drama.

Your church friends become your best friends and sometimes your only friends.. as long as you show up to church.

Your dropzone friends are your best friends and sometimes your only friends, as long as you show up to the drop zone.

Then theres the Christmas and Easter church goers. They're not very current so the chruch in-crowd doesn't really pay attention to them or make them feel like a part of the church.

Just like theres the boogie goers. They're not very current so the dz in-crowd doesn't really pay attention to them or make them feel like a part of the sport.

I could go on and on... but do I have to? Some of us do the religious "thing", some of us do the skydiving "thing". Some of us do both. Whatever fulfills your spiritual needs.

Merry Christmas.

form smaller sects of the community like Rodriguez, muff, pink mafia, Team 'Licious, etc. Before you know it, you're involved in the dz politics and its drama drama drama.

;)

Excellent post Kitty! I've always felt more spritual and closer to God at a DZ jumping on a Sunday morning than I EVER felt at church. And I had lots of church growing up, thanks to Catholic grade school and Presbyterian Sunday school.

No church for me this Christmas. Just lots of time with my family. But if it was important to my parents, or the other people I love, to go to church on Christmas then I would go with them to share that time. I think it's excellent to take your child to church if they express the interest to go. I do think exposure to religion is good, and then the kid can choose for themself what's important to them.

Merry Christmas everyone! :)

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

I've found that the drop zone is a lot like church.

People originally go to church to worship God and find fellowship with other Christians.

People originally go to the drop zone to skydive and find fellowship with other skydivers.

The more you go to church and study the Bible, the more educated you become about Christianity.

The more you go to the drop zone and study the SIM, the more educated you become about skydiving.

The more you go to church, the more obsessed with Christianity you become. You start teaching sunday school classes, vacation bible school, become a deacon, board member, sing in the choir, etc. Anytime the church doors are open, you're there selling cookies or setting up tables and chairs for the next potluck dinner. Before you know it, you're involved in church politics and its drama drama drama.

The more you go to the drop zone, the more obssessed with skydiving you become. You get your coaches rating, teach first jump courses, help plan boogies, recruit people from other drop zones to come to your boogies, organize hit and chugs, form smaller sects of the community like Rodriguez, muff, pink mafia, etc. Before you know it, you're involved in the dz politics and its drama drama drama.

Your church friends become your best friends and sometimes your only friends.. as long as you show up to church.

Your dropzone friends are your best friends and sometimes your only friends, as long as you show up to the drop zone.

Then theres the Christmas and Easter church goers. They're not very current so the chruch in-crowd doesn't really pay attention to them or make them feel like a part of the church.

Just like theres the boogie goers. They're not very current so the dz in-crowd doesn't really pay attention to them or make them feel like a part of the sport.

I could go on and on... but do I have to? Some of us do the religious "thing", some of us do the skydiving "thing". Some of us do both. Whatever fulfills your spiritual needs.

Merry Christmas.

Sorry, you lost me there. I started laughing and choked on my beer and passed out.:D

That's fucking hilarious! :D:D:D Here's arguably one of the best white singing groups around, The Mormon Tabernacle Choir versus The Harlem Gospel Choir.

I searched and searched for the Jennifer Holliday + full gospel choir doing "Short People" at a funeral on Ally McBeal, but it was removed from youtube due to a copyright thing. You'll just have to trust me that it was incredibly better than this. :D

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I understand where your coming from, but since he asked, who am I to say no. He needs to figure out the religion "thing" on his own. Whether or not he wants to go that route or whatever....its a personal choice, one that I can't make for him.

Bobbi

Well if you are confused and need some guidance, maybe you should look into going to a Unitarian Universalist Church where they have a mixture of everything. Its a great place where i.e. so called people who claim to be christians can attend church with so called Jews and even Buddhists, Hindus, Pagans, Atheists, Agnostics, Humanists and many many more.:P

But don't bring up christmas or the Christ Child, tends to cause a great deal of agument around this time of year.

Methodist Church, would be a good place for your son, many of these churches have excellent programs for young kids, as well as making your Chistmas with your son very special.

Find a Lutheran church. They like to drink. Alot. :)

I would suggest Lutheran or the Episcopal church. Both are very welcoming and the services can be quite beautiful.

Also they are serious party denominations. Cause wherever you find 4 Episcopalians there is always a fifth.:P

Of course we Presbyterians would never approve of that.
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock

this Christmas? Anyone going to midnight service? My oldest son (soon to be 13)said that he would like to attend church this sunday. I feel I need to do that for him. Now I just need to find a church that I feel comfortable with. My choices are either the Methodist church, Church of God, or the Episcopal church.

Bobbi

Oh forgot to add. It is "Christ" in Christmas. Read this today,

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/12/20/roland.martin/index.html