svst

Using car batterys as packing weights?

I can't believe that anyone would ever consider using a car battery as a packing weight, but yup, there is someone out there doing just that! If you know this person or have packed anywhere near this person, YOU NEED TO CHECK YOUR RIG! ( too late for him, he needs a new rig)
This goes for packing where cars have been parked as well because batteries have vents that can drip acid.(not to mention oil, antifreeze and other contanimates)
Dont pack after changing a battery in your car or giving a jump start to a friend without washing your hands and keep your rig away from jumper cables or put it in the trunk of your car if there has ever been a battery placed there in the past. And how would you know if there ever was a battery in the trunk unless you've owned the vehicle since it was new!
So keep it out of the trunk! Heats not good either!

This is dumber than using gear that has bounced!

Don't loan your rig to anyone, or jump it yourself until it can be gone thru by a rigger who knows how to check for acid damage. See Poynters manual on acid damage immediatly. This last comment is to anyone who has had even minimal contact with this guys battery, like with in 100 feet of it!
to all the people on the dz where this happens, you all should be ashamed at yourselves. What ever happened to look out for your buddys? Or if this guy really is hated that much, ask him to take up bowling or something abit safer.
Fall down....dont go boom!

after making such a big deal about this, i have some questions to you.
Have you spoken and taught the person doing it why that is not a good thing to do?
It easy to bash someone on a public forum, but if you were really concern you will right something educational about it in a positive way besides that wonderfull attack.

"If you don't overcome your fears they will overcome you first"
Shady Monkey/6Segundos Rodriguez/AKA Pablito

Nothing wrong with using a "bounce" rig, as long as it's airworthy. Just because someone died wearing the rig doesn't mean it's unsafe. This is just the latest embelishment of "skydiver bad juju". It's pointless crap and urban mythology that makes the newer people scared!
Stop this nonsense, you're just perpetuating the "myth" of gear "juju". Unless the equipment in question has a defect there is nothing wrong with jumping such a rig. I've done it and so have many friends without consequence. Think before you speak.

Mick.

Nothing wrong with using a "bounce" rig, as long as it's airworthy. Just because someone died wearing the rig doesn't mean it's unsafe. This is just the latest embelishment of "skydiver bad juju". It's pointless crap and urban mythology that makes the newer people scared!
Stop this nonsense, you're just perpetuating the "myth" of gear "juju". Unless the equipment in question has a defect there is nothing wrong with jumping such a rig. I've done it and so have many friends without consequence. Think before you speak.

Mick.

Amen.....
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I can not see anything wrong using car battery as packing weight if its clean inside/outside and empty: no acid inside in its cleaned and washed.

Ah, the "Rodriguez modification"... or why parachute nylon and battery acid should be kept apart and one should not asume that 'everybody knows that'...

My guess*) is it would send quite a few people through the roof since they would have no way of knowing that yours is clean and you would be packing right next to them...

Besides, a new one would be rather expensive and cleaning an old one toroughly would rather expensive too.

If you were to walk into our hangar with a car battery, planning to use it as packing weight we would invite you for a swim - battery firmly attached to your feet... ;)

Gold bars, anyone? :P

*) OTOH I also can see a lot of people that would ask "why not? It's heavy enough!..."

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

My guess*) is it would send quite a few people through the roof since they would have no way of knowing that yours is clean and you would be packing right next to them...

We use plastic cans fill with sand as packing weight. Ist quite interesing that none is interested what was in those before, acid could be there to before too. B|

If you were to walk into our hangar with a car battery, planning to use it as packing weight we would invite you for a swim - battery firmly attached to your feet... Wink

If its not used around your gear why do you bother?

We use plastic cans fill with sand as packing weight. Ist quite interesing that none is interested what was in those before, acid could be there to before too.

We do too.
Rest asured that I personally checked there was no acid in them before they were filled with sand...

If its not used around your gear why do you bother?

We don't have a 'visitors packing area'. So it would be used around my (our) gear.

The fact that I 'would bother' comes from Murphy's Second Law.

(??? Murphy 1: "If it can happen, it will" therefore Murphy 2: "If it can't happen it will not...")

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

after making such a big deal about this, i have some questions to you.
Have you spoken and taught the person doing it why that is not a good thing to do?
It easy to bash someone on a public forum, but if you were really concern you will right something educational about it in a positive way besides that wonderfull attack.

I'm with you Pablito! Educate this person is the smart thing to do! Here are 2 things I want to share with you guys. A battery car you can see, but these:
1-A skydiver had his cypres batteries replaced and left the old batteries in the gear bag...
2-Another skydiver ate a banana and left the banana skin in the gear bag...

Cheers,
Gus Marinho

C'mon now...maybe I live life with blinders on but I can't imagine anyone doing that...unbelievable!

OTOH, yes...people do stupid shit and this would be no exception.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I can't believe that anyone would ever consider using a car battery as a packing weight,...

I'm not sure if that's the absolute dumbest thing I've ever heard of, but it certainly ranks way up on the list.

But as far as using gear that's bounced ? A good washing will clean up just about anything. :S

Kevin
======================
Seasons don't fear the Reaper,
nor do the Wind, the Sun, or the Rain...

I'm not sure if that's the absolute dumbest thing I've ever heard of, but it certainly ranks way up on the list.

What about a skydiver that connected the key chain on the 3-rings system so he coudn't loose it in freefall!:S
Cheers,
Gus Marinho

I read about this on the base forum, But not everyone reads the base forum, so i thought i'd add it to the appropriate forum, gear and rigging.

I believe that person has been spoken to as there were so many posts, too many to keep track of.

As far as gear thats bounced, it has nothing to do with juju, but dirt thats been impacted into the webbing which will be near impossible to "completely" remove therefor making a nice sandpaper and wearing out the fiber. at least thats the way i understand it. Obviously, not everyone agrees, but i dont want to buy gear thats bounced and would be pissed if i found out i had.
yes, i know people pack in all the wrong places like in the dirt, but that doesnt make it right or keep your gear airworthy, it just wears out faster.

just my opinion, and you know about opinions, they are like assholes, everyone has one!
Fall down....dont go boom!

As far as gear thats bounced, it has nothing to do with juju, but dirt thats been impacted into the webbing which will be near impossible to "completely" remove therefor making a nice sandpaper and wearing out the fiber. at least thats the way i understand it. Obviously, not everyone agrees, but i dont want to buy gear thats bounced and would be pissed if i found out i had.

From a parachute rigger view, it's easy to see if the equipment is ok to be used, but not from a regular skydiver. Agree and disagree!;)

just my opinion, and you know about opinions, they are like assholes, everyone has one!

I hear you man, 100% agreed! Opinion by definition is a belief or judgement not necessarily based on fact or knowledge! Please, psssss, some people don't like to hear other people opinions!!!!:ph34r:
Gus Marinho

Mick.

I agree. On the other hand, myself and some of my friends have jumped rigs that bounced and considered it good juju and an honor to wear the rig that our friend has worn when they bounced.

Cheers,
Travis

why, i used a "bounced" vector for several hundred FF jumps back in the mid 80's.
it worked fine, even with the interesting "tie-die" effect.

be safe

kleggo

So, if someone went in with nothing pulled, you don't think there would be any damage to the rig?

I didn't say that, you did. If you can read you should have seen this part of Mick's post.

"Nothing wrong with using a "bounce" rig, as long as it's airworthy. "

Get it.[:/]
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals