TrophyHusband

how do i stop the harrassing calls?

since moving here and getting our phone number 2 1/2 years ago, we get constant phone calls from collections agencies for the same guy. sometimes i will go a week without any calls, and then get several calls a day for several days. i tried numerous times to explain that this is not his number and i don't know him, but they just keep calling and sometimes they get nasty. its always different people calling and different numbers show up on caller id. is there anything i can do?

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

Just tell them the check's in the mail.

When I get any call where I know its someone wanting to sell me something I just answer the phone "Pizza Hut. Will this be for carry-out or delivery?" After enough times they lose the number.

j
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Man that sucks. You could always get rid of your land line and just use your cell. I did that a couple years ago and it is nice not to have the phone ring while eating dinner etc. B|

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

no, i've never been successful asking for a supervisor. at&t owed me money for 8 months i made several calls a week during that time and it just so happened that every time i asked for a supervisor, they were at lunch, in a meeting, out sick, or on vacation. i've dealt with collections agencies before, and i'm guessing that they won't be any easier.

www.kjandmegan.com

had the same problem once..... unloaded my temper on a supervisor... they never called again. of course after having me chew on his ass for a minute probably made him think his ex wasn't so bad afterall.. :o:ph34r:

Next time a sunrise steals your breath or a meadow of flowers leaves you speechless, remain that way. Say nothing and listen as heaven whispers, "Do you like it? I did it just for you."

Just start hitting on the person weither it is a male for female. That or you could get the telezaper. It sencs the tones that signify that a number has been disconnected, usually bill collectors have computers Dial the phone number for them. When they recognize that tone the computer will take the number off the list.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

i have one of those telezappers somewhere. when i lived in mississippi we would get calls about twice a day where nobody would be there when you answer. it seemed to work. now that i think about it, there seems to be some sort of delay when i answer the phone. i say "hello" twice before someone starts talking, so maybe it is a machine making dialing my number.

www.kjandmegan.com

I had the same problem for a while It took a few times to tell them that they had the wrong number.

I had one guy tell me "you expect me to believe that (persons name) does not live there anymore?"

I just fucking lost it and they never called again.
During my rant I told them they will remove me number from their list or I will press charges.

(I know there aint shit that I could have proven in court,though)
My photos

My Videos

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3054867#3054867

I'm dealing with the same thing. Yesterday I handed the phone to Squeak, who said, "Yeah, this is Euguene. I don't live in the country anymore..I moved to Argentina. Good luck tracking me down!"

I've found it's much more fun to yank their chains than it is to try and explain to them that they've got the wrong number AGAIN!!:D

Ah , speak of the devil. They're on the line as we speak waiting for "Eugene" to pick up the phone. Sounds like the exact same guy I talked to a few days ago. So I'm just letting the phone sit there as I type this. Hey, if he's got the time to waste, I've no problem helping him.:D

there are several places on the net to find an example of a "cease and desist" letter. which can be sent to the collector to have them stop calling. if that doesn't work, which it should because of the fair debt collections act, call back and ask to talk to the supervisor to straighten it out that you aren't the person they're looking for. if these scumbags are too hard headed to stop after either of these 2 methods you may have to get the phone company involved to prove that you are a different person than the one who had that phone number origionally, or change your phone number.

this may seem like alot to go through. but you have to realize that collectors work on comission and they actually go to training on how to scare, bully, and harass people into paying them.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

I had similar experiences...I believe it was the aerosol boat-horn, that finally ended the first episode. The next one was more persistent but (oh so) conveniently, from a call-center....here in my town! :D When I revealed that I was less than five minutes from their front door, had some friends that worked there and had an uncanny ability to recognize voices, well.....:)...I know how Bush feels :)

"T'was ever thus."

My brother went though this for 2 years after we moved, & when he couldn't get the calls to stop (it wasn't a collection agency, it was a loan company trying to sell mortgages) he just had the phone company change his number, after filing complaints with a few different attorney generals.
When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.