$2500 Car

Max Speed: 105 km/h (65 mph)

The single biggest reason it'll never sell over here. It would get trampled by just about everything. It's a "city car?" Over there, sure. over here, city means speed the hell up, or take side streets. :S
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

The single biggest reason it'll never sell over here. It would get trampled by just about everything. It's a "city car?" Over there, sure. over here, city means speed the hell up, or take side streets. :S

65 mph, 2 cylinders, and a huge 4 gallon gas tank. Air conditioning is extra though.

They have no intention of marketing it here. Like you said, it would not sell. The car couldn't meet US safety standards anyway. What's impressive is the extremely low price, and Indians are expected to buy ~300 million cars in that price range by 2020. The car even meets Euro IV emissions standards. Expect to see one or more Indian auto manufactuers enter the US market in the next 5-10 years. I think Tata is currently in the planning stages with its partners regarding a pickup truck for the world market, including the US. Also, Ford has named Tata as a "preferred bidder" for the sale of its Jaguar and Land Rover units http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22485558/.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Stupid f'in' idea. One of the LAST things India needs is a cheap car. Further, the wheels are too small and it's not going to be of any use whatsoever on anything other than a paved road. While that might not seem like a deal breaker in the US, it's just not going to work at all in India.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

We should never have allowed the Yugo to be sold here either.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I'll take one of those. I could get to the DZ on one gallon of gas. My wife love Le Smart Car, but it's a pain to import one of the diesel models into the US. They are coming out with a U.S. gas version, bigger, worse mileage, and twice as expensive, of course. Every energy efficient idea has to be turned into a boutique item for our market.:S

In China they already manufacture a $2500 car for the burgeoning domestic market. Licensing is limited, so the fees are bid upwards enormously. depending on your area, you may pay many, many thousands to license your new cheap car.

Stupid f'in' idea. One of the LAST things India needs is a cheap car.

What, you think a country with a population of 1.1 billion, overpopulated cities with a current ownership rate of 7 cars per 1000 (10th in the world) and quickly moving up the ranks (expected to double by 2010), 2nd largest for motorcylces, would do worse with A Billion New Tailpipes.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

>One of the LAST things India needs is a cheap car.

Walking in our footsteps . . .

> Further, the wheels are too small and it's not going to be of any use
>whatsoever on anything other than a paved road.

I think you might be surprised. I saw a lot of small, low clearance cars used on really cruddy roads in Africa. It wasn't unusual to have to stop, have everyone get out and lift the front wheels over some odd gulley in the road.

Exactly. Why do these developing nations need to make the same mistakes we did? :S

Better public transportation is the answer in cities, not cars.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

........Further, the wheels are too small and it's not going to be of any use whatsoever on anything other than a paved road...

They seem to get around OK in autorickshaws. The Tata Nano is a City Car, and is not intended for four wheelin'.

-------------

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Exactly. Why do these developing nations need to make the same mistakes we did? :S

Better public transportation is the answer in cities, not cars.

And China has our turn of the century sweat shops and coats everything in a nice layer of lead based paint. But what the heck, we keep buying their crap, because we can't afford to produce and buy the stuff here, because of the laws against sweat shops and lead based paint.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

Stupid f'in' idea. One of the LAST things India needs is a cheap car. Further, the wheels are too small and it's not going to be of any use whatsoever on anything other than a paved road. While that might not seem like a deal breaker in the US, it's just not going to work at all in India.

I'll try to remember to pass your opinion on. I'm sure India's largest passenger car manufacturer and the world's 5th largest medium and large commercial vehicle manufacturer is waiting with baited breath for you to tell them what kind of cars they should be building. :D

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I'll try to remember to pass your opinion on. I'm sure India's largest passenger car manufacturer and the world's 5th largest medium and large commercial vehicle manufacturer is waiting with baited breath for you to tell them what kind of cars they should be building. :D

Blues,
Dave

EVERY car manufacturer that has been in the business for any real length of time has made a f'in' stupid car at one point or another.

http://www.forbes.com/lifestyle/2004/01/23/cx_dl_0126featslide.html?thisSpeed=20000

How big was Ford when they made the Edsel?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

EVERY car manufacturer that has been in the business for any real length of time has made a f'in' stupid car at one point or another.

The Tata Nano will compete against the best-selling car in India, but at half the price. Both are "city cars", and are similar in size, capacity, and performance.

The best selling car in India is the Suzuki-Maruti Alto, with 1 million sold since 2000. The Alto is similar to the Tata Nano in size (~40 HP, 12" wheels, ~750Kg, 65 mph..): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maruti_Alto.

Maruti has sold over 6 million cars in India since 1983, most of which were "city cars". Their '06-'07 India sales were 675,000 cars, which is close to their maximum production capacity. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maruti_Udyog.

-NickDG

I have lived in India for 21 years - I predict this car will sell millions overnight. A good motorcycle costs $2000 in India and can transport 2 safely, 5 illegally. Every person who has a family of 4 and is looking to purchase a motorcycle is now going to pony up the extra $500 and gain the ability to transport his / her entire family to dinner, outings etc.

Not to mention the numerous auto-rickshaw drivers - this now makes it affordable for them to transform into taxi cab drivers. Which is actually better from a pollution perspective. The autorickshaws operate using a 2 stroke engine and poor maintenance in these means excessive emissions. An affordable four stroke car that meets Euro 4 standards could make such autorickshaws obsolete all together.

The biggest area of concern is going to be safety - I bet the car wont even get half a star in western safety ratings (all passengers in this car would be killed in a collision) and probably seat belts are optional too. In India safety expectations are much lower than western countries. But that shouldn't matter much to the Indian consumer who risks his / her life in anyway they travel the road.

Well since you said the car would probably not even get half a star in safety rating, I guess this car when bought in mass numbers, will end up just being another form of population control, for a while anyway...

I know, that was really bad...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I bet the car wont even get half a star in western safety ratings (all passengers in this car would be killed in a collision)

I'm envisioning two cars colliding, bouncing off each other's plastic exteriors, coming to a stop, and all 4 sides just hinging away to the ground...with the family still seated there, driver still holding the steering wheel in the air.

Guess I watch too many cartoons....:P

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

The biggest area of concern is going to be safety - I bet the car wont even get half a star in western safety ratings (all passengers in this car would be killed in a collision) and probably seat belts are optional too. In India safety expectations are much lower than western countries. But that shouldn't matter much to the Indian consumer who risks his / her life in anyway they travel the road.

Here's what they say about safety:

"Safety: Car exceeds current regulatory requirements with a strong passenger compartment, crumple zones, intrusion resistant doors, seat belts, strong seats and anchorage." It must be safer than auto-rickshaws are.

Times of India link to specifications because the Tata site uses really slow flash:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Business/India_Business/Specifications_of_Tatas_Nano/articleshow/2690208.cms

How fast will people be driving them? Will they pretty much stay in the cities?

-NickDG

How fast will people be driving them? Will they pretty much stay in the cities?

The speed limit within cities is limited to 20 - 25 mph, not because of regulation but because of congestion. However there are crazy people who will drive these at 40-50mph when given the opportunity (read as an empty lane or empty road).

The safety standard in India is negotiable - if you understand that in a third world terminology. Unlike in the west, safety of a vehicle is not a big concern for people in India - reliability and durability are. For instance, 99.99% of people driving cars in India don't wear seat belts, over 50% don't wear helmets when driving motorcycles - these risks are acceptable to them - just like jumping out of planes is an acceptable risk to us.

People will take these cars out on the highways and if indeed these cars are plied as taxicabs they will be used for long distance trips across cities. That is where the greatest risk is - collision with lorries and trucks. I would probably bet that the car and its passengers would be flattened in a head on collision with a 5 ton truck traveling at 55mph. But in the context of Indian people - that is an acceptable risk for the comfort of traveling in a vehicle with 4 seats and 4 doors.

I remember, my first car was a http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.carsonhire-india.com/images/cars/maruti-van.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.carsonhire-india.com/budget-car-rental-delhi-taxi-rentals-in-india.html&h=135&w=186&sz=9&hl=en&start=1&sig2=BEgvOYDIYVJc4r_JjFBA1w&um=1&tbnid=uwt_zSGatOhQtM:&tbnh=74&tbnw=102&ei=EImJR4_9MYuGetKHsNoO&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmaruti%2Bvan%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26rlz%3D1B2GGGL_enUS177US177%26sa%3DN Maruti Omni Van. I thought it was a pretty safe car until I saw my friends dead body after an accident in one of them. The driver and the front passenger are right up against the windshield, like in a bus. So there is no layer of protection in a head on collision. Secondly small wheels means more likeliness to skid or roll over. Worst of all, in a head on collision, the steering wheel will pop out into the drivers face.

Regardless, safe or not, I continued to drive that vehicle until the wheels came off - simply because getting from A to B was a greater concern than getting from A to B safely. Having lived in the US for 7+ years, my perception of safety is radically different. Now when I visit India I rarely drive preferring to employ a chauffeur when I visit India.