Maxx

The new Macbook Air

I'm really ambivalent about the optical drive thing. On one hand my laptop has one and I HAVE used it. OTOH, how often do I really use it? Not that often, mebbe a half-dozen times in the couple of years I've owned it.

SO, I don't mind the idea of a "plug it in when you need it" optical drive. BUT, you need to consider that it's just going to cost $99 more.

Elvisio "worth a closer look" Rodriguez

I'm really ambivalent about the optical drive thing. On one hand my laptop has one and I HAVE used it. OTOH, how often do I really use it? Not that often, mebbe a half-dozen times in the couple of years I've owned it.

SO, I don't mind the idea of a "plug it in when you need it" optical drive. BUT, you need to consider that it's just going to cost $99 more.

Elvisio "worth a closer look" Rodriguez

They will come with software called Remote Disc which will allow you to use the drive on another Mac or PC so you don't have to buy the external drive if you have another machine with a drive.

They are pretty sweet ... ambient light sensor for the illuminated keyboard, LED screen, large keypad for the iPhone like gestures that you can use on the keypad. With only 80gb drive or 64gb SSD if you want to spring another grand or so for the flash drive this isn't a machine to use for video editing so I can see them leaving off the Firewire. No network connection....wireless only....this is kind of like when the first iMac left out a floppy disk.

Aluminum case, very environmentally friendly to keep Greenpeace happy.

I think Apple will sell a ton of them.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

It's beautiful . . .

The beauty of this device isn't where it IS, but where Apple looks like they want to take us.

Look at the other major announcements they made today, specifically "Time Capsule" and the iPhone update.

It appears as if Apple's vision for the future is one of wirelessly networked storage. Small devices will wirelessly network to larger ones. The larger ones will hold the bulk of the storage and even programs.

Some might see this as a small shift. I see it as huge.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I'm thinking a lot of people will look at the size and weight as the most important spec. ;)

Just watching the keynote from Apple's website and there is a pretty cool ski-base jump at about 41 minutes in.;)

--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

It's beautiful . . .

The beauty of this device isn't where it IS, but where Apple looks like they want to take us.

Look at the other major announcements they made today, specifically "Time Capsule" and the iPhone update.

It appears as if Apple's vision for the future is one of wirelessly networked storage. Small devices will wirelessly network to larger ones. The larger ones will hold the bulk of the storage and even programs.

Some might see this as a small shift. I see it as huge.

I agree with you completely Quade. Clearly and succinctly put.
--
Murray

More contra arguments:

Battery is not user changeable

One tiny MONO Speaker (with bad sound)

The micro-DVI out is single-link only, meaning it can drive a 24-inch monitor, not a 30-inch. There's no DisplayLink converter / adapter yet.

Anyone ordering? :P

The micro-DVI out is single-link only, meaning it can drive a 24-inch monitor, not a 30-inch. There's no DisplayLink converter / adapter yet.

Anyone ordering? :P

Lemme get this straight: You expect a computer which was designed for the express purpose of portability to have a video system with dual link output???:S Even on the highend desktops, that is an option!
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Lemme get this straight: You expect a computer which was designed for the express purpose of portability to have a video system with dual link output???:S Even on the highend desktops, that is an option!

My lil tiny VAIO SZ series has dual monitor output...and it's 2+ years old. Somewhat expected these days, IMO.
Quade's right on about where Apple wants to go. you'll see another major, somewhat related announcement right around NAB.
Storage/Codecs/accessible applications are an integral part of the future in computing revenue.

the battery can be replaced for $129, about the same as any laptop battery. since the battery will last 5 hours (their number), swapping it out isn't something most people will have to do. as far as the rest of the cons of the machine, you have to look at the target audience, the road warrior. the person who needs to work on spreadsheets or word processing, check email, share docs. it's not for someone who needs serious horsepower, that's why they still make a mac book pro. kinda like an ipod touch is not an ideal ipod for a lot of people, for others, it's the best thing since sliced bread. apple keeps adding products, not replacing them. i hope it works out, because my apple stock has really tanked in the last month. >:(

"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/01/15/jobs-wows-the-fraithful-wall-st-is-underwhelmed/?cnn=yes
Someone can makes this a clicky!

Like someone said before here, wallstreet is not impressed.
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

Like someone said before here, wallstreet is not impressed.

Daytraders usually drive the stock price down at MacWorld SF. Everyone's hoping for another iPhone, and Apple can't deliver that every year. I do wish Jobs would stop taking credit for things he didn't invent, though >:(

OTOH, the MacBook Air may be my next laptop. Need to see it first, and they won't be in the stores for 2 weeks. I have REAL trouble believing a 5-hour battery life. Kinda like the Prius said it got 60-MPG - I'm sure that battery life has been significantly exaggerated.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I noticed it doesn't have a CD/superdrive slot. I guess Apple just expects you to buy the airport external super drive if you ever want to install additional software on your airport. Did anyone check out the SSD price? For that kind of money, it just needs to come with more standard features and not just for adding a SSD. I think this item is definitely one of those "one ups" gadgets for the whole look at me crowd.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I noticed it doesn't have a CD/superdrive slot. I guess Apple just expects you to buy the airport external super drive if you ever want to install additional software on your airport. Did anyone check out the SSD price? For that kind of money, it just needs to come with more standard features and not just for adding a SSD. I think this item is definitely one of those "one ups" gadgets for the whole look at me crowd.

When my laptop's CD driver went down I just networked with my desktop and did it wirelessly (airport) through there. Just one more step, but it worked like a charm.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Did anyone check out the SSD price? For that kind of money, it just needs to come with more standard features and not just for adding a SSD.

Have you looked at the prices of 64GB SSD's?:o
The premium Apple is charging for the faster CPU + SSD doesn't look so bad after that.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I have REAL trouble believing a 5-hour battery life.

Why? No hard drive and no optical drive. That just leaves the cpu, display backlighting, bluetooth, and wireless networking to suck battery. Reduce the cpu a little, dim the screen a little, de-activate bluetooth and networking, and you can probably get 5 hours.

Did anyone check out the SSD price? For that kind of money, it just needs to come with more standard features and not just for adding a SSD.

Have you looked at the prices of 64GB SSD's?:o
The premium Apple is charging for the faster CPU + SSD doesn't look so bad after that.

Well perhaps I am spoiled. I am currently testing/jumping a miltarized/ruggedized OQO with a 64GB SSD and the going price on the whole thing is roughly 2500.00-3000.00.

Here is a good break down on it, but I still think its on the pricey side.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

found this at wilshipley.com, thought is was funny:

MacBook Air Haters: Suck My Dick
I thought of a lot of titles for this post, but, really, the first one that came to me seems the best.

I've read nothing but whining about the MacBook Air on Mac news sites since it came out this morning. Honestly, I just want to shake these people. Not, like, shake some sense into them, but shake them like you're not supposed to shake a baby.

The criticism all basically goes like this: "It's not like a MacBook Pro!"

No, really? Seriously? I mean, they introduced this new product, and it doesn't have the same specs as the MacBook Pro? God, that is bizarre. I wonder why they gave it a new name, and continue to sell the MacBook Pro, then, if it's not going to be exactly the same. I mean, that hardly makes sense, does it?

Ok, fine, there are some people who want, like, an extra battery Pack. But let's admit amongst ourselves that the overwhelming majority of people out there have never pulled the battery out of their existing laptops, and didn't even know or care that it comes out. In fact, if something goes wrong with their battery, this majority -- whom we'll call "NORMAL PEOPLE" for convenience -- will just take the damn machine to the store and get it fixed, whether it's user-serviceable or not. Because we don't want to hassle with it.

And there are people out there who do video editing on their MacBooks and want FireWire. Great! I respect your choice! You should buy a MacBook! It's an awesome machine! If you want to do that! Which I don't!

I've read journalists complain that you can't get at the hard drive in the MacBook Air. What? I have no fucking idea where the hard drive is in my MacBook Pro, and even if you drew me a damn diagram with labels and numbers and gave me a replacement drive I wouldn't open my machine even in exchange for a year with Zooey Deschanel. Ok, yes I would, but you get my point. I'm sorry, Zooey, I didn't mean it, baby.

Some journalists get so close to the truth it hurts, yet miss the large print. "OMG! The unit is all sealed and self-contained like the iPod!"

Yes... the iPod. That huge failure. Also, the iPhone. Stunning disappointment that it was. I mean, jeebus, why would Apple make ANOTHER device incredibly simple? Clearly the market has spoken, and it wants tons of ports and screws and geegaws and flippers... no, wait, no it doesn't.

You guys are TECHNOLOGY JOURNALISTS. You are GEAR HEADS. There is no shame in this, but, come on, recognize that what you think is cool is NOT what my mom thinks is cool, or what an executive thinks is cool, or what a lawyer who just wants to write a deposition on her laptop thinks is cool.

I'm a programmer. I just want a machine I can write software on. Once, I loved gadgets, too, but now I really just want a gadget that (a) works, and (b) is beautiful and easy-to-use. Sure, my iPhone doesn't have as many raw features as my lawyer's Blackberry + RAZR combined (she carries both). But I understand my iPhone, and I don't have to learn it, because it's learned me. I can take a photo in three seconds, and so can she (we tested) even though she'd never seen an iPhone before.

I'm not the freak, here. In this one instance. I'm with the majority. All software developers should be hailing the advent of the computer-as-appliance, because it means we'll be reaching into markets that are afraid of self-service machines.

I can't take apart my Kitchenaid blender. If they come out with a new motor, I'm screwed. It's not upgradeable! And when the motor blows (as it DID... grrr), I have to send it back. I can't take apart my car. When Lotus came out with a bolt-on supercharger, I had to (gasp) take it to the dealer to have it put in. Somehow I survived.

I don't buy a laptop because I want to replace its drive in a year. I buy it because it seems great and meets my needs today. If my needs magically morph over the coming year, I guess I'll sell it on eBay. Or pay Apple to throw in a different drive, or something. Honestly, I think we need to admit that just because machines get faster every year, doesn't mean that the majority of people need faster machines.

In two weeks I'll be writing Delicious Library 2 on a MacBook Air, every day. Because it's simple and beautiful, and I crave those things.

And all you haters can... well, buy one in six months, when you realize how nice it is.

"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001