freebird185

Canopy Brick...

So check this out,

I’m gearing up for this coming session of diving. Reserve repack, checking the rig, change Cypress batteries, main repack and what not. I un-stow my Main and it comes out of the bag like a brick. Very much contrary to the usually slip and slide. It did not deform even a millimeter.

Granted, the canopy has been in the container for 13 months straight, and my main is a 136 which fits into a container made for a 120. It has very low jumps (13), and it’s American ZP. However, I literally had to peel the thing open. It took a good ten minutes and a lot of effort to peel the thing completely open.

Has anyone ever had this experience?
And furthermore how long do you think it would have sniveled if I had jumped it without a repack?
If we trained monkeys to pack, would you jump their pack jobs?

I believe that you aren't suppose to leave any ZP canopy inside the d-bag for prolong periods of time. My rigger told me this when I brought my gear. The end results is...well you know the end result. Next time store it in a plastic garbage bag to let the canopy air out. Good thing you didn't jump it.

I believe I know someone that jumped one that had been packed for a year or two, maybe more... and the opening took over 2000ft but worked fine. He said that he could basically feel the canopy peeling open during deployment too, lol.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

I un-stow my Main and it comes out of the bag like a brick. I literally had to peel the thing open. It took a good ten minutes and a lot of effort to peel the thing completely open.

I wonder if the snatch force would have been able to pull the canopy open in that condition, it will be interesting to see what the more experienced jumpers have to say about that.

Also, what would be considered a “pro-longed” period of time…..one month, two months, six months? I checked my manual and it doesn’t say, it just recommends that the canopy be stored for long periods of time in a cool dry container that light cannot pass thru.

Well, the SIM says that a main must be repacked every 120 days just like a reserve. Hmmm, maybe there's a reason for that!
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

I don't even like jumping my canopies if they have not been jumped in more then two weeks. If you leave those things cooped up for that amount of time they get mad at you, they want to see you sufer just like they had to.

Just kiding, sorta. You should see a reserve come out of the freebag after 120 days. They get a memory going and tend to stay in the shape of the bag. It still opens and because of the superior packjob a reserve gets it opens fast.

It is best to leave the canopy in a warn dry dark place unpacked if you can but the memory factor should be no biggs. Of coarse the longer the snivel the more time the canopy has to get out of hand.

I let my canopies go 3 weeks before I repack them. Fortunately that almost never happens. Though it has been 3 weeks for two of mine right now.

I think I'll head over to the DZ and repack right now

3-2-1-see ya
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

Well, the SIM says that a main must be repacked every 120 days just like a reserve. Hmmm, maybe there's a reason for that!

Actually the reason also has to do with the FAA...

FAR 105.43(a) reads:
The main parachute must have been packed within 120 days before the date of its use of a certificated parachute rigger, the person making the next jump with that parachute, or a non-certificated person under the direct supervision of a certification parachute rigger.

And if you don't think they (can be) serious, we were carded during the pilot's briefing before an airshow. All present had their current USPA card, License and Reserve Pack Data Card. BUT the (young) FAA rep wanted definative PROOF that all main's had been repacked within the last 120 days before he would let us jump.

We stated that:
1. we WERE the jumpers intending the use them and would testify that we had repacked them recently (see our log books)
2. most of USPA headquarters were present (and jumping)
3. there is no recording requirement in 105.43a

He finally backed down when we presented documentation that:
4. most of the are riggers were present (with credentials) and all of us assured him that we open the main when we repack the reserve, therefore the main must have been repacked.

He was new and simply looking for a reason to flash his badge, but for the record the requirement is there.

The more you know...

Jim
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Next time store it in a plastic garbage bag to let the canopy air out. Good thing you didn't jump it.

I hope I'm not the only one who realizes that a plastic garbage back doesn't make for much airing out.

Edit: A pillowcase is better, better yet, buy a hangar with a perfectly operating air conditioning system with humidity control.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

not that I'm looking to cut corners but I'm curious, under the law, what constitutes repacking? fully opened then repacked, pin pulled and then put back? something inbetween?
I've left my main packed during the last 2 winter seasons, (warm and dry in the house) but at the beginning of the season I have it opened completely and inspected along with my first reserve repack of the season. it is one heck of a brick that really wants to hold its packed shape out of the d-bag. I'm curious how it would open... but not curious enough to run the experiment!

Good Judgment comes from experience...a lot of experience comes from bad
judgment.

This is also why some people are opposed to ZP ever being used on a reserve.

I have taken reserves out after being packed MUCH longer and lever had this effect. It is very common for ZP though. It usually takes about 8+ months but there you have it. It would have worked eventually.

Its also why I tell people a main repack is very important after a long layoff. I use the 120 day refference at a lot of reserve repacks to sell a main one also.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

not that I'm looking to cut corners but I'm curious, under the law, what constitutes repacking? fully opened then repacked, pin pulled and then put back? something inbetween?

Not sure how each examiner would view this, but for me:

Main repack - out, shaken, packed. Being observant of the normal areas of concern. (not to be confused w/ a main canopy inspection which is sometimes called for)

Reserve repack - out, aired as necessary, INSPECTED packed per mfg instructions, sealed and signed off.

J
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

It was in room temp most of the time. Some of the coating did seem sticky like it may have melted and fused together, but I'm not too worried. If it gained some permeability in some spots, I don't think it will hurt performance too much.

:S
If we trained monkeys to pack, would you jump their pack jobs?

... and you wonder why reserve repacks are limited (120 to 180 days depending upon the country)????

I haven't hesitated to use F111 canopies that have been packed for a year but not been exposed to water, chemicals, etc.

My Samurai 105 (with a couple hundred jumps) was packed from last May (when I had a horrible sneezing accident resulting in a herniated disk) through last weekend (when I pulled it out, hooked it up, checked line continuity, then packed and jumped it). It didn't unfold when I pulled it oout, but wasn't stuck together.