Twoply

My son might flunk preschool!

So my wife goes to a conference for our 3 year old who's in preschool. The teacher has reservations about how well he's doing. She describes him as a very happy, polite little boy who is full of energy. He is having problems sitting still and paying attention to stories during their second circle time. He doesnt like to write and do the crafts so they are concerned that he might not be able to "graduate" to the next level.

He's going to have to work hard enough when he's older. Let's put things in perspective and realize he's 3 and still thinks farts are the funniest things in the world. Let a kid be a kid for christ sake.

I hope you're right, I really do.

-but your kid's teacher is right to watch for early warning signs. I'm not sying to panic, I'm just saying don't ignore early signs of things that you might be able to alter right away that will become harder to adjust or treat later on.

I've seen too much denial in parents not to say something...but I truly do hope it's 'no big deal', like they all say.
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

you have to "graduate" preschool? back when I was a kid preschool was more like daycare... I mean, sure, we try to learn things early on, but... like you said... the kid is 3 years old!!!
I find it a bit ridiculous. I'm not a mom, so perhaps I have too little knowledge and experience in the matter, but do 3 year olds generally listen to people who are not their parents? When I was 3 I didn't wanna have anything to do with anyone who was not my age and not my mom/dad. I'm sure you could say I deserved to fail preschool... later on I became an A student...
let the kid enjoy childhood!

Graduate Pre-School?? What the fuck?

Could you imagine the sort of tosser you would end up being later in life if you graduated preschool.

Let the kid enjoy being 3, worry about his education when he goes to school.

Graduate Pre School? wtf?!?:S

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

You guys need your own planet.

along way away :ph34r::ph34r: But leave some of the girls and a few of the not so American Americans:ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I have four kids almost grown now. All of them above average, in the gifted program, half of them have scholarships to college the other half is still in High School.

When my first was of age to go to pre-school our family Dr. told us it wasn't necessary. The best thing for kids age 0-5 is to be at home spending time with their parents. Let them follow you around the house, "helping" with cooking, cleaning, yard work, or whatever it is you do. Get down on the floor and play with them. Not necessarily academic things but just play whatever your kid wants to play. They learn so much more from that than anything else.

I don't mean it like that. Just your country is so big and so demanding that you guys would enjoy having your own planet.

The rest of the world are fine with the way things are.

I like hamburgers.
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

I don't mean it like that. Just your country is so big and so demanding that you guys would enjoy having your own planet.

[:/] That makes me really sad to hear. I don't feel that way at all, but we're obviously (collectively) giving off that impression.
TPM Sister #102

If his teacher feels that he doesn't have the focus or writing/crafts ability that other three year olds have, it might be worth a trip to a doctor for an evaluation to check for things like dyslexia or other learning issues. If he does have a learning issue, catching it early can make a big difference, and if there's nothing wrong, then you've gotten some peace of mind and can move him to another preschool class.

Oh brother! Everyone just needs to calm the heck down. Your son is a boy. Your son is three. Your son is probably tired in the afternoon when they want him to sit still and concentrate, and there's no better way to stay awake than to get up and run around.

We're not all supposed to be perfectly behaved little zombies. Some kids can sit and play with crayons for hours. Others are more rowdy. Stop worrying.

And for those of you telling him how to parent, STFU. You know who you are.:D:D

I have four kids almost grown now. All of them above average, in the gifted program, half of them have scholarships to college the other half is still in High School.

When my first was of age to go to pre-school our family Dr. told us it wasn't necessary. The best thing for kids age 0-5 is to be at home spending time with their parents. Let them follow you around the house, "helping" with cooking, cleaning, yard work, or whatever it is you do. Get down on the floor and play with them. Not necessarily academic things but just play whatever your kid wants to play. They learn so much more from that than anything else.

The best reply so far.......3 years old......come on...I would be very, very upset if my three year old was not a complete tornado! :D:D:D:D

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

This is honest to god one of the funniest most naive things I've read in a very long time. Then again I a student of history and see the pattern again and again in history in every major civilization, as many people do. Of course the US isn't perfect, in fact its flawed in many ways; however, this comment shows a level of unflattering arrogance that is staggering.

As for flunking pre-school...well, I would worry more about a kid not being a kid and I would worry much more about children not spending quality time with their loving parents.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."