ExAFO

First Attempt at Serious Photography

Very cute. I'm just slightly confused by the blue sting in the air. Is that part of a leash???

(Not trying to be mean just curious)

It's her leash. It's attached to her harness. Easier to catch her once I'm done shooting. :)
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

Well, you totally captured the "serious" look on Neko's face ... ;);)

How long did she stand still for that?? Doesn't look like for very long!

Nice pic of her. She is a cutie! :)

She was gone like a flash. She dispatched a field mouse. I didn't feel like getting her dewormed, so I did not allow her to eat it. I'm an asshole like that. B|
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

I took & cropped the following photo. Please comment.

If the original is large enough I'd crop a little of the space around the subject out and put her/him out of center (rule of thirds - doesn't always apply but I think it'd really help this pic.

I made a quick crop for demonstration but you should probably play around with a copy of the original and expiriment a bit.

Really nice pose you caught though...

I was going to mention that..but I would have left more of the background (sky) and pushed the kitty a little to the left...

Ex, you don't always have to center the subject..you can express that and supply subtext without losing your subject.

Its a good pic..don't get rid of it..but I would suggest you learn to edit IN camera and see how it works for you. Take plenty of the same scenes but move your lens around the subject..you'll be surprised with what you find in composing.

Show us more!!! Keep playing with the same pic if thats your first attempt...lets see where you end up with the same shot and good luck!~~April

Camelot II, the Electric Boogaloo!

I took & cropped the following photo. Please comment.

OK well you asked :)
it's a happy snap, and that's all

there are to many distractions in the pic
when taking pet shots, get in as close as possible and/or use a long lens set the depth of feild to somthing like f3-4 to blur out the fore and/or background.

Look up the rule of thirds

Google (or seach ) for some online tutorial sites, there a lot more to photography than just pint and shoot
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Were it mine...I probably would have cropped more so that the viewer knows the subject is the kitty. If the intent is to show the kitty in an environment, another option is to get closer to the subject, leaving the aperture cranked down with a slow shutter, and the background will be in focus along with the subject.
As Squeak mentioned, the Rule of Thirds or Diagonals would help your kitty show off a bit better.
Colors are really nice and saturated.
What settings did you use, I can't tell in the resized image.

look at your pic, read what i posted earlier then look at Pilotdaves 2 pics of Swooper.

blurred background
Cat focus of image
less distrations;)

Nice work Dave:)

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

... Easier to catch her once I'm done shooting. :)

I can't believe you are into herding cats. Oh...wait...you DO list Formation Skydiving in your profile.

Nevermind.

I wanted to see the pic of the cat with the mouse.
[:/]
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

You definitely caught a moment, the intent in the eyes.

I'd crop it something like the attached, keep the puss centre of frame but remove distracting b/ground. You don't need to go too tight, give the subject room to breathe.

In terms of composition you could try down on your belly in the grass to see the world from a cats eye point of view. I'd then try to get the cat straining at the leash to make it a dynamic aspect of the picture, a cat treat or two and maybe an assistant might need to be involved.

Animals, even domestic ones can be hard to photograph so good work keep it up!

I've posted this before so won't use up the bandwith. Link to a cat's eye view of the world -

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2839252;search_string=cat;#2839252

but what do I know

Well, you totally captured the "serious" look on Neko's face ... ;);)

How long did she stand still for that?? Doesn't look like for very long!

Nice pic of her. She is a cutie! :)

She was gone like a flash. She dispatched a field mouse. I didn't feel like getting her dewormed, so I did not allow her to eat it. I'm an asshole like that. B|

When I initially looked at the photograph I thought there was a mouse involved in this. hehe. Right on!
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer