DFWAJG

Guys: New truck vs. old truck

I have a 1998 Ford RAnger that, currently, would be worth a little more than $1200 trade-in. The interior needs to be replaced because it stinks from my ex-husband, breaking the seal in the back window, allowing waterfall M pour into the cab during rainstorms. The 4X4 low hasn't worked for years and the 4X4 High is now having problems with a slipped differential. There check engine light is always on because of some exhaust problem which is supposed to not be a big deal, since I passed smog inspection right before the light came on. It has 135,000 miles on it. There is some rust underneath from NY winters. Would it be worth it to spend the thousand dollars on the new interior, a thousand to finish up the roughness for the exterior, about a 1000 for the slipped differential and a few more hundred to have the exhaust problem fixed? I just spent $3000 in October for a bunch of stuff including cosmetics (which got ruined in the 3,000 mile drive cross country). Or, should I just by a new truck? I'm thinking of getting a Toyota Tacoma, but they are at a minimum of $22,000. I only pay cash for vehicles, and money is a little tight right now. So, in the immediate, fixing the truck would be cheaper, but if someone manages to smack into me or something, I would loose all of the money considering the overall value of the truck would be less than what I would put into it. Any advice?

I dunno, man....as much as I don't really care for Fords (especially Rangers), I can say this much....I'd gladly drive that ragged ol' Ranger all the way across Death Valley and without so much as a canteen....before I'd risk my butt by tryin' to drive some newer piece of junk, across the freakin' street!

There's a new saying, in the auto industry....."If you're gonna' buy new, ya' better buy two!" That way, ya' got somethin' to drive...while the other is in the shop. [:/] It doesn't matter what company it is, quality is NOT job #1, anymore.

"T'was ever thus."

I got 200K out of my old 95 Ranger with only minimum maintenance and I miss that truck very much.....countless drive across the west/northwest. It really was built Ford Tough and even survived three crashes, which actually paid for the truck through claims because I never got the truck fixed! The A/C would freeze me out even in Death Valley......seems people like to really put rangers to the test by going through DV!!!!!!:)B|:)

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

Don't put any money in the Ranger. sell it for what you can. Go south a find a good used anything without rust and bring it back home. I have 287,000 on my 2001 F-250. Everything works, always has, I'd drive it cross country anytime.
People are crazy. Cuz there's more of 'em.

I second airtwardo, jap cars and trucks are the way to go. I've gotten over 300K out my last two Japenese made cars, and the most expensive part I had to buy for one of them was around $150 CV joint, (I do my own work, I'm cheap). they get great gas mileage as well, my friends toyota Tacoma gets close to 30mpg highway.

was a mechanic for a dealership for 7 years before EMS... for what its worth I own a toyota pickup... 1989 and has over 250,000 still runs strong would trust it to drive cross country. last toyota I owned I sold with over 350,000 on the ticker still ran strong.
my advice is buy a toyota beater with a heater and a nice bike...
gsxr 750 or so ;)

Why do you need a truck?

Would a nice matrix or vibe suit your needs?

Also if you do need a truck, get a toyota.

There are other trucks that are good, but none that will outlast the toyota.

Also these days there are lemons, no matter who the manufacturer was.[:/]

Diesel or gas?

mileage will be very important.;)

I have a jeep FWIW, but the mileage is killing me.

I only get 14.5mpg around town

on the highway it was around 19mpg, it may be marginally better now that I have gone to 31" tires.

It is AWD/4WD and that is what the problem is.

Great vehicle, nice interior etc, but a gas hog.[:/]B|

I've got about 250k on a 94 Ranger, with the usual problems over time, but nothing too huge. I'm planning on keeping it until it needs to be towed to the junkyard, because it's cash value is near zero, and it's value to me is much more than that.

Where have you been hiding that truck?? All I've ever seen is the Mazda.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

I've got about 250k on a 94 Ranger, with the usual problems over time, but nothing too huge. I'm planning on keeping it until it needs to be towed to the junkyard, because it's cash value is near zero, and it's value to me is much more than that.

Where have you been hiding that truck?? All I've ever seen is the Mazda.

The Mazda and the Ranger for that year (and many others) are the same truck. Mine came with a tag inside that said "built by the Ford assembly plant, St Paul, Minnesota."
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

If you pay cash for vehicles, then adopt a new rule, don't buy brand new. Look into some late-model used Toyota Tundras, since the new full-size truck is out, the smaller predecessor should be readily available on some Toyota lots, and you'll spend less than you would on a new Tacoma.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Buy a newer used Jap truck, trade in the ranger and run like hell! ;)

Exactly what he said -

He must have heard that from somewhere.:D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

this makes no sense to me...
trade in a cheap jap truck for another used cheap jap truck....
:S

Yeah - 96 Nissan - I beat the fuck outta that truck and only ended up putting 500 or so into it and just sold it last October.

Still ran good, AC still kickin', Clutch was ORIGINAL, but still in great shape, oh yeah - 189000 Miles on it. I hated to sell it - but I wanted the money and the garage space.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I have been driving my 97 4runner for 2 years and have 225,00km on it. I use it for work and wanted something new so I bought a new Jeep Wrangler. I couldnt be happier. Five year/100,000km warranty. My 4runner needed some shit done, but if anything major would have happened it would be big bucks.

Sure you loose on new vehicles, but by the sound of it you have spent a lot on an older rig. Depends on what you want. I can fix my own shit I just dont want to. I would rather drive around with the top off.