bigway

Prince Harry fighting on the frontline

Britain's Defense Ministry confirmed today that Prince Harry is fighting on the front line in Afghanistan. Protect the face at all costs!

Details of his ' three-month tour had previously been kept secret. The Prince, a second lieutenant in the Household Cavalry

Hope he makes it back safe. Some friends of mine here in Australia met him in the pub over here and they only said good things about him.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

yeah, that family sure gets i the muck of it all.

Who would have ever thought a modern prince would be fighting osama bin laden on the front lines. He deserves some respect for that. I imagine every terrorist is trying to hunt him down over there.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

yeah, that family sure gets i the muck of it all.

Who would have ever thought a modern prince would be fighting osama bin laden on the front lines. He deserves some respect for that. I imagine every terrorist is trying to hunt him down over there.

he has been there since before Xmas, but the media agreed to not publicise it, however apprently Womens Day decided it was news.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Does anyone really believe that he is on the front line? I'm more likely to believe it's similar to the same front line Elvis was on. At any rate, good on him for at least going over there and for serving in his countries military.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

bet he never leaves the base....

I just saw a report on him on CNN. His job is watching a computer screen of video from high flying planes tracking the Taliban or something. So yeah, it seems like he's always on base. The report did say that they're taking him out of Afghanistan now that his cover is blown.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Does anyone really believe that he is on the front line? I'm more likely to believe it's similar to the same front line Elvis was on. At any rate, good on him for at least going over there and for serving in his countries military.

Well, ya' know what??? He doesn't have to FUCKING be there AT ALL! Give the kid a little credit. I think most princes wouldn't go at all. Good on him.
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Well, ya' know what??? He doesn't have to FUCKING be there AT ALL! Give the kid a little credit. I think most princes wouldn't go at all. Good on him.

You know, he did threaten to quit the army when they refused to send him to Iraq. I like this kid. Willing to go into harm's way, regardless of being rich or royalty.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Its probobly no different than the plans they had for him in Iraq. Better equipment, a less dangerous zone and an SAS team on stand by in case something bad happens.
They reported that his base came under attack at one point and he was in a .50 machine gun nest fighting back but who knows if thats true.

Hell id ride around fallujah on a pink tricycle in purple and neon green spandex carrying a hello kitty lunch box if an SAS team was my security.
"If you don't like your job, you don't strike! You just go in every day, and do it really half assed. That's the American way."
- Homer Simpson

Did you miss my last sentence? I am assuming not since you quoted it directly. I don't know who pissed in your wheaties but in this case I think you may need to BTFU. Having been on the real front line most of my adult life I feel that I can say that, prince or not, it is a disservice to all those who are or have been on the front line to give the same credit to someone who clearly hasn't and never will be there. I give him credit for going over there but I know a few news reporters that have more real combat time in the bush than the prince will ever have.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

This morning's paper showed a huge photo of Harry with an even bigger grin sitting behind a giant machine gun. :)I agree that the military is probably veeeeeeery protective of their princeling but as Lou said, at least he tries. Even if Harry never gets to leave the base except for posing in pictures, I have nothing but respect for him.

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

By JOHN BINGMAN
in HELMAND PROVINCE
IT IS only 500 metres across no-man's-land to the Taleban front line, and the British soldiers come under fire several times a day.
The night-time temperatures were minus 8C when Harry arrived and there is no heating in the sleeping quarters.

The "showers" are a bag hung up in a wooden cubicle, the urinals are a row of angled pipes half-buried in the sand, and the main toilets are the dreaded " thunderboxes" – plywood structures with a hole cut in the centre, inside flimsy wooden cubicles.

Welcome to the British Army's Forward Operating Base (Fob) "Delhi" in Afghanistan. It's not exactly the home comforts Prince Harry is used to, but he doesn't mind one bit.

"It's bizarre. I'm out here now, haven't really had a shower for four days, haven't washed my clothes for a week and everything seems completely normal.

"What am I missing the most? Nothing really," he said in January, as he sat in his bedspace at the camp, a former Taleban madrassa with bullet- holes peppering the walls.

"I honestly don't know what I miss at all: music, we've got music, we've got light, we've got food, we've got (non-alcoholic] drink."

Clearly conscious of his tabloid image back home, he quickly added: "No, I don't miss booze, if that's the next question. It's nice just to be here with all the guys and just mucking in as one of the lads.

"It's very nice to be a normal person for once – I think this is about as normal as I'm ever going to get."

On his arrival in war-ravaged Helmand province just before Christmas, the prince was sent to Fob Dwyer, the headquarters of the battlegroup headed by his own Household Cavalry Regiment.

But he didn't stay long in that dusty and isolated outpost in the middle of the desert, about six miles from the front line. He asked his commanding officer if he could spend Christmas Day with the Gurkhas at Fob Delhi, and it was agreed Harry could stay on there for a while to fulfil his dream on serving on the front line.

"I was hoping to come down here for Christmas Day to be with the Gurkhas," the prince explained.

"I don't know why, it was just something I wanted to do, just to be with them. They don't really celebrate Christmas that much, but we had some fantastic games, which we played in the yard there."

These Nepalese-style games included one that involved catching a chicken. This year, having left Britain too late for the Christmas post to be dispatched and arrive in time, Harry had no presents sent to him – although he did benefit from anonymous parcels sent to all British troops by wellwishers at home.

"I got nothing for Christmas; most of these guys got nothing for Christmas," he said with a shrug.

He did, however, have a chance to speak to his family over the festive period. As with all British troops, he was given an extra ten minutes' credit on his army satellite-phone account over the Christmas week as a Yuletide treat. Fob Delhi comes under attack several times a day from rocket-propelled grenades, mortar shells and machine-gun fire, and British troops operate out of old-fashioned trenches and bunkers.

But Harry said: "When you know you are with the Gurkhas, there's no safer place to be, really."

But asked if the base was a safe place for a prince, Major Mark Milford, of the 1st Battalion, the Royal Gurkha Rifles, replied matter- of-factly: "No, not really."

One of the observation posts, JTAC Hill, is built on the remains of a 19th- century fort, used by the British during a previous involvement in the seemingly perpetually war- torn country. The prince shared a room with a constantly changing con-tingent of Royal Artillery soldiers, alternating between stints up on JTAC Hill and the camp itself.

"This is what it is all about," he said. "What it's all about is being here with the guys rather than being in a room with a bunch of officers.

"I'm in here with all the guys; most of them are artillery guys basically doing a swap-over with the other ones on JTAC Hill, stagging on (performing guard duty], stagging off, doing a week because it's quite a lot of graft.

"It's good fun to be with just a normal bunch of guys, listening to their problems, listening to what they think. And especially getting through every day. It's not painful to be here, but you are doing a job and to be with such fantastic people, the Gurkhas and the guys I'm shar-ing a room with, makes it all worthwhile."

One good thing about Delhi is the standard of the food: the Gurkha fare is the envy of the Afghanistan theatre, with regular chicken or goat curries.

However, it has been important to try to keep news of the prince's deployment a se
cret, and other soldiers have been told not to mention him in their phone calls home.

Major Andy Dimmock, of 4th Regiment, Royal Artillery, who has spent the past six months attached to the Household Cavalry, said: "All the lads phone home as normal. We just say, 'Don't tell them who you are with'.

"We are not giving any special treatment to him. It's just a security risk, because if it gets out that he's here, the indirect fire threat will increase. At the moment, he's just the same as any other officer here."

Major Dimmock said there was a huge novelty factor in having a prince under his command, but he was now very much part of the team. And working closely with Harry, the major saw first-hand how he excelled in banter with pilots over the radio "net". But none of the pilots realised they were talking to the prince, they simply knew him by his call sign: "Widow Six Seven."

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I believe he was on the ground and in harms way. He had to be at risk with three Gurkhas assigned protection. That's not an advantage folks, more like a big neon sign flashing "shoot the guy in the middle."

My complaint is US media getting ragged for breaking the story when it was all over the web in January and his own comrades in arms were sending offers to the tabloids to sell pictures and cell phone videos of Harry in Afghanistan.

Good job Harry, I think that's one up on Andrew.

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

Good job Harry, I think that's one up on Andrew.

Do you mean Andrew as in Prince Andrew, his uncle? As in the Prince Andrew that saw active service in the Falklands war flying a Sea King helicopter which he used to decoy incoming anti-ship missiles from HMS Invincible? I'd be surprised if they ever got into a pissing match about it, but is this really 'one up' on deliberately trying to get Exocet missiles to aim at you?

Does anyone really believe that he is on the front line?

I dunno. They said on the radio last night that he had been out on patrols. That I guess would have to count. We keep hearing after all that there aren't really any 'front lines' in this kind of deployment - including being on base.

Besides, someone has to be a radar jockey.

I guess we'll find out soon enough. Part of the quid-pro-quo of not running the story on his deployment was that journo's got access to him so I presume we'll see some docu's or something later this year with footage of him doing whatever it is he's been doing out there.

There are some excellent on the website with the title 'telegraph tv'.

Really good candid interviews.

They also have him talking about being a massive target for assisnation for the rest of his life in a bigger way than he already was.

Royal or not. I really have alot of respect for this guy. He has stood up and demanded that he tours and he really sounds like he is grateful for the chance to just be one of the lads and not 'prince Harry' as he says in these interviews.

Good on him, and i hope he comes back alive. To me, Harry seems like he trys to be an average young British man. His past sure goes along with that, caught smoking and buying pot, having a nightclub in his basement, backpacking around australia and working on cattle ranches and now serving his country topping the list and the one thing he wanted to do more than ever. He says he misses nothing and it sounds like if he had the choice he would rather not be a royal.

Congratulations England, After all the sporting football stars that do wrong things and have teens looking up to them as role models, it is nice to see that you guys have a real role model and i am sure there will be many more 'normal' but great things in life he will achieve.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I like him. He (or his HR people) has done a great job of putting forward a real face for the royal family.

It would be nieve to think that there would not be a mass, of both pro & con public opinion in this ever increasing celebrity driven world.

I dont believe that he swung the tour by 'demanding' to be sent . That decision is waaay above his pay-grade.

That said, I agree that his is currently a good role model, so much better that the souless pop-idols, football morons and film wack-jobs.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome