SpeedRacer

Squat toilets vs Western style toilets.

A POST ABOUT POOPING

I've been reading that squatting when pooping (like they do in many parts of Asia Africa & middle east) is healthier than the seated western style> better elimination, less constipation, less chance of eventually developing diverticulosis, etc.

Is this true, or false?
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

It's false.

Most toilets in Japan are "western" seated style, and just about every home has a ToTo Washlet incorporated in the seat to provide extra cleaning.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

You can buy a platform that you put around/over your "western" toilet so you can squat and shit all over the seat. You think its bad enough when you splash pee on the seat in the middle of the night...try when you have the green apple spray and you spray it all over the tank...wow, that's a bad fight.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I was really surprised when I found a squatter at a rest stop in France last summer. It kinda looked like a tile shower with a hole in the floor and there were handles on the wall to hold onto. The whole thing got sprayed down when you flushed. I had a skirt on, which made the whole process difficult. I didn't enjoy that experience at all!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I was really surprised when I found a squatter at a rest stop in France last summer. It kinda looked like a tile shower with a hole in the floor and there were handles on the wall to hold onto. The whole thing got sprayed down when you flushed. I had a skirt on, which made the whole process difficult. I didn't enjoy that experience at all!

That was a french crock pot you silly goose!

wait a minute,sorry, I wasn't asking what Japan had, I was asking if squatting actually is or is not healthier.

here's one website that says it's healthier to squat http://www.relfe.com/toilet_seat_constipation.html

I didn't explain myself clearly enough, the squat style was the common practice in Japan (which I cited as an example only because of what I witnessed), but has been pretty much abandoned because of comfort, health issues (like hemorrhoids) and hygiene. Just about every modern toilet there is a western style, with a bidet seat. From what I was told, this changes were made for health, comfort, etc...

Either way, I think squat seats lose all their advantages due to balance ... imagine the drunken stupors...falling, landing on your poop, pissing on yourself...:D:D:D
Make light!

but has been pretty much abandoned because of comfort, health issues (like hemorrhoids)

hmm. these websites say that seated poopping is what causes hemorrhoids (and diverticulosis), and squat pooping prevents them.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Seated bogs are much better for reading the newspaper and posting to DZ.com on the laptop..... so, it's no contest, is it?

Yes but this toilet always came to mind when TB's name was mentioned http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blair_toilet and to answer the original question these toilets did not smell and were much cleaner than many public toilets.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

but has been pretty much abandoned because of comfort, health issues (like hemorrhoids)

hmm. these websites say that seated poopping is what causes hemorrhoids (and diverticulosis), and squat pooping prevents them.

Well, I wouldn't want to put my Japanese wife, and her Japanese family and friends' words compared to a web-site...:P

Seriously I don't know. It just what I was told, but I have no personal experience with a squatting toilet. Though I still think the whole drunken stupor risk of pooping and peeing on oneself is reason enough to get rid of them...:)
Make light!

Well, I wouldn't want to put my Japanese wife, and her Japanese family and friends' words compared to a web-site...:P

Seriously I don't know. It just what I was told, but I have no personal experience with a squatting toilet. Though I still think the whole drunken stupor risk of pooping and peeing on oneself is reason enough to get rid of them...:)

Ok - so we will not implement squat toilets at the DZ - Check
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I can't use them anyway...my prosthetic leg wouldn't bend far enough for me to keep balance...

Oh, the comedy that would be!!:o:ph34r::D
Make light!

I can't use them anyway...my prosthetic leg wouldn't bend far enough for me to keep balance...

You could always take it off and ask the attendant to hold it for you.:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

You could always take it off and ask the attendant to hold it for you.:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Yeah, so I can do a one-footed-balance-squat...would you shake my hand afterwards? :o:):D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Make light!

Either way, I think squat seats lose all their advantages due to balance ... imagine the drunken stupors...falling, landing on your poop, pissing on yourself...

The first time I saw one of these toilets was during MIO ops in the Persian Gulf several years ago. They were on a lot of the Oil Tankers. The North Arabian Gulf was, for the most part, calm. But I wouldn't want to use them on the open ocean. I have enough problem using the toilets on a Destroyer when it rocks.:o:o:o

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

but when you are on a train in India - always go for the squat toilet. It's just a hole in the bottom of the carriage and everything drains down it. The western toilet ends up getting blocked and without a hole in the floor - the floor is covered in whatever was supposed to be flushed down!

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe