kansasskydiver

What do you wear and why?

So why do you wear the skydiving shirt you do? You know we all have them in our closets and we wear them to the dz each time, but what made you pick it?

I'm working on a marketing project for one of my classes and we're studying the effects of branding and marketing when it comes to clothing and trends. I'm taking it another step as I usually do and throwing in the skydiving community as my study and paper.

So think about it, why did you wear the shirt you wore today to the dz?

Thank u mucho B|

Kansas (isn't in Kansas anymore)

I LOVE my Elsinore sweatshirt. I wear it almost every night. It's warm and fuzzy and the logo makes me happy.

I enjoy wearing my GoFast t-shirt (Slogan - You'll be fine as long as you don't do anything stupid) cuz... well... I have done things that are stupid and I just find it amusing.

And, as far as marketing, I like getting cute lil t shirts for my niece and nephew cuz... it kinda annoys my sisters to make them think that their children might jump one day. B| (I am a wicked Aunt :D:D )

Thank you for your response! To address what you said and help me understand see if I'm right here:

You like your swearshirt because the logo, being Elsinore, reminds you of good times. When you wear that shirt you are associating that logo with those times had. For that piece it's not so much the logo itself but more the memory and experience

As for the slogan - "you'll be ok" - for sake of arguement, if it was not a Go Fast shirt would you have still bought it?

As for marketing and the little cute outfits, this is more through association to the sport rather than either brand or design as well correct?

It's a really intersting marketing design and I feel our community is one of the more unusual and unique ones. Because we don't follow the outsite trends rather just our own personal feelings to the item. I'm sure this quesiton would be different if the question was more related to what you wear when you go out to the bars lol
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

Thank you for your response! To address what you said and help me understand see if I'm right here:

You like your swearshirt because the logo, being Elsinore, reminds you of good times. When you wear that shirt you are associating that logo with those times had. For that piece it's not so much the logo itself but more the memory and experience

yes... but also cuz it's warm and fuzzy

As for the slogan - "you'll be ok" - for sake of arguement, if it was not a Go Fast shirt would you have still bought it?

probably. but I also like GoFast B|

As for marketing and the little cute outfits, this is more through association to the sport rather than either brand or design as well correct?

yup

It's a really intersting marketing design and I feel our community is one of the more unusual and unique ones. Because we don't follow the outsite trends rather just our own personal feelings to the item. I'm sure this quesiton would be different if the question was more related to what you wear when you go out to the bars lol

I wear whatever matches the shorts that I choose to wear that day.

Damn, SkyMama! That avatar is even hotter than the old one!:)However, we need a pic that includes the shorts.:ph34r:
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Honestly, no. I don't think I would be that interested in getting designer skydiver clothing. I liked this one shirt and got it as a gift. That being said, though, this shirt looks like a regular woman's cotton shirt and I could easily wear it out. I don't think it screams skydiving at first glance.

I am extremely new in the sport, so take my observations for what they are worth, but it seems that a majority of the focus on 'fashion' comes down to which container you own or the design on your jumpsuit.

i have a couple of catagories of tshirt.
Dropzone T shirts, from DZ, I have been to, my Fave is Elsinore, I love Snors LOGO. and had a great time there.

I also have a bunch that i designed myself on Zazzle. One is a Yellow long sleeve T shirt with MY sqeuak avatar (not the one i am using now), and a couple of Raglan Tshirt with sillouettes.
I figured if i am going to wear a branded shirt it might as well be my own :ph34r::ph34r:

3rd I do not and will not wear GO FAST, type shirts on principle.

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

3rd I do not and will not wear GO FAST, type shirts on principle.

Is it due to their brand or their brand image? Is there a particular reason? Just curious as to the impact of brands

couple of reasons, i dont think that product (as oppossed to places) have any bussiness charging people to advertise for them. But more so I do not support the sale of "go fast" type drinks to minors, I think drinks of that nature should be in the same catagory as booze.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I don't like the idea of me paying to advertise some company's product/brand. I look for clothing that has no obvious company logo whenever possible. For skydiving, it is either a DZ boogie I liked or some shirt that is either funny or somehow relates to my nickname.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I think from a marketing stand point the question shouldn't be why would I wear the shirt but why would I buy the shirt. The whole idea of marketing is to find out what products will sell.

From there I'm going to have to say a big factor for me is the price of the item. For instance I looked up the skydiving shirt that jellob mentioned and I liked it, I would probably wear it if I had it and it came in my size but I would never buy it. I could never pay $22 for a one color screen print T-shirt no matter how cute it was. I do machine embroidery and I know how much a T-shirt should cost. I'd rather spend that money on my next jump and wear the free T-shirt I got from the Thailand boogie instead. Besides, not just anyone can buy the 2008 Thailand sky festival boogie T-shirt. It's pretty damn exclusive. ;)

For some reason, she wont share the original, full length pic... Anymore...

You are not my friend. :P
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Hi KSD,
I have about 7 feet or so of hanger space in my closet, all T-Shirts; Skydiving, Flying, Airplanes, Hooters, Fishing, Mardi Gras, and you-name-it!!! You Pick??? My latest is from Raeford and my oldest is from the Mar 1973 'Chute Out at the Gulch 10-Man Meet at Casa Grande shirt if anyone out there from that meet is still alive to remember????
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

That being said, though, this shirt looks like a regular woman's cotton shirt and I could easily wear it out. I don't think it screams skydiving at first glance.

That shirts reminds me of the saying in the 60's "turn on, tune in, drop out" Maybe I've been watching too much history channel lately haha.
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

I'm fairly certain I've only paid for one skydiving shirt. That was a University of Michigan skydiving club t-shirt, and I bought it to donate to the club and help them with advertising, not because I actually wanted another skydiving shirt. All of my others are either staff shirts I was given and told to wear, shirts that came with events I registered for, or shirts I won at raffles. I wear the ones that fit best and aren't too weird looking. I wouldn't wear shirts that had crude slogans or advertised products I don't approve of even if they were free, just 'cause that's not my style.

I generally don't wear skydiving tshirts to the dz because they're usually made of cotton. I wear loose Under Armour shirts to the dz because I can work up a good sweat on most days and a wicking tshirt is wayyy better than a cotton tee. Why Under Armour? Because I used to work for them so I have tons of it.

I wear an Everlast sports bra for my tops...not much really fits under my jump suits except spandex. My suits are tight to help my fall rate. After the jumping is done for the day, I throw on cheesy t-shirts. Then I don't mind when they're ruined from crazy stuff...
~Nikki
http://www.facebook.com/poe62

Irgity Dirgity

I generally don't wear skydiving tshirts to the dz because they're usually made of cotton. I wear loose Under Armour shirts to the dz because I can work up a good sweat on most days and a wicking tshirt is wayyy better than a cotton tee.

Would you buy/wear a wicking tshirt with a skydiving related logo/saying on it?

There's a million dollar idea, folks - run with it. ;)