iluvtofly

Going Back to School?

So one of the things I'm seriously considering doing to get my life back on track is going back to school to become a nurse. Thanks to my current job at the ambulance service I have decided that I deffinately want a career in the medical field.

My biggest concern is balancing my work schedule and school schedule. The school I want to go to is in Pittsburgh about an hour away. I've already decided that for financial reasons I'm going to go to school part time so that I can still work full time.

My question is for those of you who have gone back to school and continued to work full time how did you manage your work schedule and school schedule and still have time to study enough???

Thanks for all help and suggestions. :)

S

My question is for those of you who have gone back to school and continued to work full time how did you manage your work schedule and school schedule and still have time to study enough???
:)

I had 16+ hour days 8 for work (could not do less) minimum 8 for classes and study, often 18-20 hours around exams.
During term breaks work continued but study got cut to 5ish hours per day. it was a long but very gratifying 5 years (included post grad work). The BIG pay off is.
I have been working in a field for 8+ years now where one day has not gone by where i wished I didn't have to go to work. :)
Good food, and some DOWN TIME are REALLY necessary:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I study & do homework over my lunch break at work, that definitely helps. No matter what it's not easy to work fulltime and attend school, but in the end i'm sure it will pay off.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

You learn to do it. I used to study while eating...study before bed...any free time was homework/studying. If you want it bad enough, you'll figure out a way to make it work. Good luck! :)

Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

you go crazy, thats how.
haha

I just graduated with my BA after a triumphant return to school. I thought it was a good idea to join honors too...which just aggrivated my schedule even more. If you have a flexible job, it makes the whole full time work & school thing much easier. But yeah, you spend all your freetime studying.
Just keep focusing on your goals and good luck :)

When I decided to to back to school, I started taking evening classes, and talked to friends who were working on degrees part time. I soon realized the choices were:

a) Go to school part time and between working full time and spending evenings go to classes and weekends working on assignments, have no life for 8+ years.

b) Quit work and go to school full time, and have no life for 4+ years.

I chose "b" and never regretted it.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I'm doing my MBA as an evening program right now. Its 9 credits a semester, so its considered full time for a Grad degree, but its still an add-on to my work schedule.

You just have to find the time. I spend alot more time on the weekend studying and doing project/case studies/group projects. The evenings get used up on reading the material.

It makes for a fairly busy time. I've cut down on my TV watching alot, and we've ended up skydiving less, both because of time availability and the money that goes to tuition (both for mine, and my wife who is full time)
Remster

So one of the things I'm seriously considering doing to get my life back on track is going back to school to become a nurse. Thanks to my current job at the ambulance service I have decided that I deffinately want a career in the medical field.

My biggest concern is balancing my work schedule and school schedule. The school I want to go to is in Pittsburgh about an hour away. I've already decided that for financial reasons I'm going to go to school part time so that I can still work full time.

Thanks for all help and suggestions. :)

I am starting school back in the fall- I generally stick it full time work/full time school. It's horrible- you hate yourself- and everyone else- but you finish in enough time as everyone else and you have 4 years of work experience when you get out.

You are going to be miserable even if you go part time- the communte- work load will still be overwhelming. Just do it full time and just finish.

It works out well for me because I work in the same industry as my field of study, plus tuition reimbursement. You already plan on working through school, so if your company doens't have it- start finding another one that does- Kill two birds with one stone.:D

The only thing the paper will be doing is allowing me to move up the ladder more rapidly and more $$.
Best Girl Scout Ever.

Because I am under 24- goverment still considers me dependent (and require my parents social security #'s) They aren't willing to put their info on it- so I got fucked- I spoke with numerious financial ad officers about this- and I had to "get thier info"

Same thing happened to me. Which is why I didn't start college until I was well past 24.>:(
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I got a second bachelor's degree while I was working full-time. You just have to cut out extra things like watching tv, reading anything non-school related, or basically having any free time. My daughter was very young then and I just got in the habit of studying for 3-4 hours every night after she went to sleep. It's hard at first but you get used to it.

As someone else mentioned it helps if you have some flexibility in your work schedule or can take a day off occasionally if you need to catch up on schoolwork. At least once a quarter I ended up taking a personal day to finish a paper or study for an exam.

I go to school full-time now and I much prefer it to part-time. Although I still probably put in just as many hours a week between classes and research.

Good luck!