lawrocket

Preferred weather websites

I'm a weather junkie. I find myself going between different webistes to see what they have to say because they all say something different.

weather.com says it's supposed to hit 100 on Thursday.
noaa weather says 99.
weather underground says only 94.

I LOVE weather sites. Which one do you prefer? And why?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Reading the untranslated METARS, TAFS, and PIREPS on NOAA makes me feel like I'm reading a super special secret code, and the message is vitally important.

Though I can't say that any of the reports I use are ever correct with enough frequency to inspire much confidence in them.
Let's go to candy mountain.

My degree is in Aviation Meteorology, so here's my geeky two cents:

1.) Usually you can never go wrong with the National Weather Service. They are the guys that DO the science. I worked an internship with them and it was so funny to have all the private sector people calling to check and see what our forecast was so they could make theirs.

2.) Weather.com, or the weather channel, is a pretty large scale general forecast tool that isn't going to be as great as the NWS because the computer putting out the forecast for everywhere all over the world for them is not as familiar with local climatology effects like the forecasters at an NWS office would be. A model may predict clear skies at one airport on weather.com, but the airport may be fogged in because it sits in a valley or may be just off the coast, and the model didn't know that. To me, weather channel is just a bunch of pretty faces trying to look cute-- Oh! and try and do a little bit of weather.

3.) Weather underground is OK, but if you are into aviation forecasts it can be a nice tool. You can get on and search by ICAO, which is nice when you're looking at a major or local airport. (IE, if you want the Orlando weather, just search KMCO.) They also break it down in TAF, metars, airreps/pireps, etc. (which you could also get through NWS, but are more user friendly on this site.) They also have live video feed/picture of the location you're looking up.

Does anybody know what ever happened to the Skydiving Weather site? Was it skydivingweather.com or something?

EDITED TO ADD: if anybody is interested and wants to geek out over these sites, my school's meteorology homepage had some cool stuff: http://my.fit.edu/wx_fit/index.php
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

I've volunteered to do a presentation on Air Force weather doctrine on Monday... I'm not sure what exactly I'll do but... I'll figure it out.

for most weather forcasts I like NOAA... I figure most of the other sites are getting at least some of their data from the NOAA anyhow...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I have my local news channel's site as my homepage. This gives me the 7 day forecast. I live in an area that has mountains and valleys, so the weather can vary quite a bit just 10 miles away.