novacaine

Can someone care to explain this to me...???

** WARNING- THIS IS A RANT TO VENT SOME ANGER ADN FRUSTRATION!**

So on June 20 I was fired from my job, due to unresolvable issues, between me and my employer. Not too bad, as I didn't like the direction the company was going, and how the new (foreign) employees were being treated.
So I have been job searching since then. Yet, this process is frustrating as all the interviews I have gone to really haven't worked out yet.
This morning I had an interview for a great hopeful. Well known, family oriented and large company in the city.
Well things seem to be going well during the interview. Share my work history, education with the guy conducting the interview. At the end of the interview he tells me, that I have what there are lookig for, be that he "worries [I] may get bored, as [I'm] over qualified for the job position."
I smile and reply by saying "Well I will try not to let you down then!!"
He replies with "Thank you for coming. Good luck with your job search."
And thats the end of the interview. I mean WTF. What does it mean I am over qualified. I am only 30 for fuck sakes. I am to young to be fukin over qualified. And besides what does this even mean.
Was this guy implying that the job position is not challenging enough and that is why the position is available. Or is he worried that I am going to try my luck at getting his job if I where to be hired. FUCK!!

**THANK YOU FOR ALOWING ME TO RANT**

Edited for spelling and to please pass the vibes![:/]:$[:/]

I got that on an interview once and was like how do they know how bored I will be?
Given the current job market you might have wanted to say something along the lines of I will try my best not to be bored and really need this job as I've been looking for some time now.

or not.

sorry dude, I didn't think I could be over qualified for anything either, but truth was I probably was, and you probably are as well.

Maybe he just needed an excuse to not hire you because he was looking for some hot chick to hire.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

sorry to hear that. [:/]
most likely he was intimidated by your qualifications, or maybe he is holding out for a pretty, young female with no self respect :o

either way, your better off if the jack-hole can't take you teasing him back a little

hang in there the right job will fall in your lap
---theres your fourtune cookie

Best wishes for you ;)

(I.C.D#2 VP)
""I'm good with my purple penis straw" ~sky mama

Or is he worried that I am going to try my luck at getting his job if I where to be hired.

I have always wondered why people do this. Is it insecurity? When I was in a position to hire, I always wanted to hire people who could take my job. Because, if they can't do my work I can never move up!

I was never worried about being jumped over either. I always felt good when someone I hired was promoted into another department at a level above mine. Gave my bosses confidence that I was bringing in good people.

I just did my job the best way I knew how and left the other issues outside in the parking lot.

Blue skies,

Jim

At the end of the interview he tells me, that I have what there are lookig for, be that he "worries may get bored, as [I'm] over qualified for the job position."

I know you're having a frustrating time trying to find a job, and believe me, I sympathize. Please take what I tell you as advice for improving your odds in an interview, not as a criticism of you personally.

Your reply, although well meaning, could be construed as you assuring him that you will get bored, because that's what he's expecting you to do. Does that make sense? I'm not sure I'd know how to take what you said if I was interviewing someone, but I can give you a more appropriate response:

INTERVIEWER: "Well, you're a bit overqualified for this job, and I'm concerned you may get bored after a while."

APPLICANT: "I understand, but I believe any job can have meaning, and I apply myself to every job as if it's the most important one. Being a part of a successful team is what I'm after."

This is just what I'd say, but it makes the company seem more important than your personal aims (in the eyes of the interviewer).

Just my .02, but I have interviewed LOTS of people.
T.I.N.S.

At the end of the interview he tells me, that I have what there are lookig for, be that he "worries may get bored, as [I'm] over qualified for the job position."

This is New Age Boss speak for.. "you are asking for too much money"... they would rather hire someone with less experience and whom they can pay a lot less for.

I know you're having a frustrating time trying to find a job, and believe me, I sympathize. Please take what I tell you as advice for improving your odds in an interview, not as a criticism of you personally.

Your reply, although well meaning, could be construed as you assuring him that you will get bored, because that's what he's expecting you to do. Does that make sense? I'm not sure I'd know how to take what you said if I was interviewing someone, but I can give you a more appropriate response:

INTERVIEWER: "Well, you're a bit overqualified for this job, and I'm concerned you may get bored after a while."

APPLICANT: "I understand, but I believe any job can have meaning, and I apply myself to every job as if it's the most important one. Being a part of a successful team is what I'm after."

This is just what I'd say, but it makes the company seem more important than your personal aims (in the eyes of the interviewer).

Just my .02, but I have interviewed LOTS of people.

Thank you for the advise. I will be honest and say that I even knew that my remark was not the wisest when I heard the words coming out of my mouth.
I appreciate your advise. As I need all the advise I need right now. As I have been fortunate not to have had many job interviews in my life. Thank you!

This is New Age Boss speak for.. "you are asking for too much money"... they would rather hire someone with less experience and whom they can pay a lot less for.

The topic of wage came up once. And that was when the guy's assistant called to arrange the interview.
I took the average of 10 of the larger companies, in the same industry here in town (all wages were based from job postings). And then rounded down to the next whole number.
My logic is simply that with an average starting point in the local industry, I am not setting myself up for instant dismissal for asking to much. And secondly, that I am not acting like I am not confident in my abilities by asking for too little.
Once again I have no idea what or how to go about this topic during interviews. [:/]

I had a job interview one time with Coke. I was looking for a job as a mechanic on their fleet of Gulfstreams and was being interviewed by their Chief of Maintenance. Near the end of the interview he asked me "What I ultimately wanted out of the job?" Without blinking I said "I want your job." and I meant it.

I didn't get the position for another reason, the competition was brilliant, but I made a great friend. We had a good laugh over it for years. What was I supposed to say? "I wanna be your lacky for the rest of my life."?

Keep on truckin'

jon

In a nutshell, he doesn't want to spend the time and money to bring you on board and train you only to have you leave right away for a position you are better suited for. Then he has to start the process all over again. Its a valid concern for most employers in most fields. I've been on both sides of this- hiring people and looking for work as "just" an employee when I once had several people reporting to me. If you are looking for a position that pays less or has significantly less responsibility than what you had been doing, you need to convince them that you do want the job and you have reasons for wanting a change. Not lack of ambition, but perhaps wanting to learn a different field and understanding that you need to start somewhere.

another side of the "over qualified" coin: is that they don't want to use up the man hours and payroll hiring and training someone they think you may seek a more challenging/ higher paying job within a year or 2.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

Once again I have no idea what or how to go about this topic during interviews.

Ask them to give you a competitive offer, and know what that means. Usually, the company does know what's competitive for a given position. Or, have a middle man in the process so they don't get pissed at you.
We are all engines of karma

You go through sending your resume, following up and being a good overall job seeker. And then you get to the part where the hiring manager or the recruiter gives you feedback regarding why you weren’t considered for a job. As Dano writes:

“can you tell me what does the phrase “you are over qualified” mean? i have been trying to find employment through a staffing co and after three interviews. this is what the staffing co. told me. i did not get the job. is this a red flag for future interviews??? “

I can tell you what I mean when I say that. Pats got it mostly right: it is an issue of fit. I wouldn’t hire a VP of Sales to mop the floors (however much I would enjoy the sight). You want someone who will like the job, who will do well, and who will stay (i.e. not turnover). People within the range of experience (and not above or below) do the best. That’s why we develop, test and use job descriptions. But there is a dirty side to this comment as well.

Some HR people, in a moment of sympathy for a job seeker they have to reject, will use it as a compliment or a “poo poo” phrase. It’s to make you leave without them feeling guilty or you feeling angry. You can tell this is the case if the jobs you are applying to seem to be well within the range of your experience. If that is the case, try to think of other things that might have happened throughout the process that could have influenced the decision.

Source: http://www.yourhrguy.com/2006/07/26/what-does-youre-over-qualified-mean/
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Wow you have been unemployed for over 3 weeks now. No wonder you are getting crazy.:P
You are in Calgary. The job market there is so crazy that no one has any loyalty to their employers and the employers know it. The truth is that if you have a job you are in a much better position to go and find the one you really want. Finding people that will stay at the job is a huge concern in Alberta these days. I completely understand the employer not wanting to spend the resources needed to bring you on line if he doesn't think you will stay.

At the end of the interview he tells me, that I have what there are lookig for, be that he "worries I may get bored, as I'm over qualified for the job position."

I've found that employees do their best work when their tasks require a small but achievable stretch. They're focussed, they make fewer careless mistakes, and the work gets done faster. Given a choice I'd rather have less experienced people filling less senior roles even if their pay expectations (and potential earnings in other companies) were the same as their more experienced counterparts.

In a lot of fields, experience translates into the ability to fill roles with the potential for much higher earnings. Salaries can more than double moving towards more senior positions which require less than a decade of experience.

Unfortunately the budget and salary range available for a position is based on the minimum qualifications it takes to fill the role. If I fill a less senior role with a more senior person I'll have to pay them a lot less than they could earn in the position they're capable of and there's a real risk they'll be leaving the company when they find a better offer. In positions where employees aren't at their most productive until six months or a year after the start I'd be out a lot of money if you spent that time finding a better job. Given peoples' tendency to spend what they make, a less senior salary may not even leave a more senior person cash flow positive after they've made their mortgage and car payments.

If the position doesn't require much context, you might temporarily offer your services as a contractor. The employer gets the work done sooner, your paycheck is bigger than your unemployment check, and no one feels bad when you leave for a more suitable position.

He replies with "Thank you for coming. Good luck with your job search."
And thats the end of the interview. I mean WTF. What does it mean I am over qualified. I am only 30 for fuck sakes.

That gives you eight years experience beyond where people typically earn undergraduate degrees and six years more than I'd want in a junior employee.

At thirty I was making over twice what I was at 22 even after adjusting for inflation.

I am to young to be fukin over qualified. And besides what does this even mean.
Was this guy implying that the job position is not challenging enough and that is why the position is available. Or is he worried that I am going to try my luck at getting his job if I where to be hired. FUCK!!

It's supposed to take 10 years to master subjects (chess, software engineering, making suits, whatever) after which you don't really get more senior. If you didn't spend too long in school or did work-like things while there you could be close to the peak of your career at 30 where you don't get appreciably more qualified. While I get better pay and equity packages I think my career peaked at 29.

You pick up useful specializations, learn more about various businesses, and get better at negotiating compensation packages

Being unemployed sucks. Good luck with your search!

Finding people that will stay at the job is a huge concern in Alberta these days. I completely understand the employer not wanting to spend the resources needed to bring you on line if he doesn't think you will stay.

Hey Andrew, you nailed on the head. The problem here in Calgary is that labourer jobs are easy to come by. Whereas more management jobs are a little harder to get. Just because it takes nothing to train labourers to do a job. Thank god, I had a desent bank account before being let go from my last employer!!! :)

I just read a business article on this topic in the US Airways Airplane magazine the other day. Same scenario as yours, guy has gone to several interviews and has been given the "over qualified" excuse. The writer went on to explain that it's currently being used as a buzz word of sorts. It's generally a method used by an employer who doesn't think the person would fit in or have a place in the company/business for a variety of reasons, some of which could be considered forms of discrimination ie: age, sex, appearance, hair parted on the wrong side, etc. "Over qualified" is a catch all phrase for those instances when the employer doesn't want to honestly say why they don't want to hire you.

The flip side of it though is it also might be true, you might be overqualified. The writer went on to give an example of a retired university professor who was seeking some part time work to keep from going stir crazy. He was applying for a job as a care keeper for a graveyard. Clearly he was way overqualified but being a professor of psychology, he went to the interview in an old pair of pants, a flannel shirt and work boots. When asked what he did before, he said he worked at the university, which was technically true, he just painted a different picture or perception of himself to the interviewer. The point of the passage was to emphasize that if you know you're over qualified and applying for a job that you want, it might be a good idea to alter your resume and your verbal answers by leaving out bits of your history that may point to your being over qualified. And of course, dress for the occasion which might mean dressing down from what you normally wear to interviews.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING