Gawain

Beer Drinkers - Are You Ready for This?

> Its all just budwater and nasty light so who really cares.

After learning about the history of Budweiser specifically I find I have more appreciation for it. Sure, it's not a Lost Abbey beer, but for what it is they did a good job.

There's beer for all occasions. When I'm sitting around and want something tasty I'll look for an Inferno or a Pyramid hef, but when you've just made 10 jumps and it's 106F out I'm more likely to go for a Coors.

This is the most disturbing post I've seen from Bill since the BDSM thread.:S
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

After learning about the history of Budweiser specifically I find I have more appreciation for it.

Its not just the history of the company, but what their history and growth as a company did to effect the US' history and development as a whole. All in all its very impressive.

There is a time and place for all beers. There's nothing finer then a Shiner when floating down the Guadalupe River. Olympia is the perfect SCR pour beer. The list could go on.:)
I just wish it was easier to get some Left Hand Brewery stuff in my area. There is a Specs that sells a little occasionally and that's basically it.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Yup. Also important in the history of the US was Pabst and a couple of other formerly large breweries.

The beer pallet changed to show the creation and success of these companies, has now changed back and is moving sideways as of now.:D

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Remember when we went to the Renaissance Faire and I ordered Miller Lite? The look on your face was priceless. :D

Thanks for introducing me to Harp. Yummy!!

Yes... I recall trying to talk you into pouring it out!!! Friends don't let friends drink stuff that shouldn't even be called beer!:P

Hey, quit knocking American beer. I'll have you know that A-B produces some of the finest top-quality.....

Ah, who the hell am I kidding. American beer is crap, and all of my favorite beers are Belgian. Bring on the trappist! :P

I wasn't knocking American beer. There is good American beer, e.g.:
http://www.newbelgium.com/index.php

New Belgium makes average micro-brews. The styles are uninteresting (which does make for a bigger market, since they're not going to offend any one) and specific recipies just OK. I'd buy stock in the company but not use them to stock my fridge.

Left Hand's Saw Tooth (Ordinary Bitter) is a more flavorful and enjoyable style than New Belgium's Fat Tire (Belgian Amber?) without having too much body.

If you do want an amber or copper ale unlikely to challenge a light beer drinker's palate Boulder Beer's Single Track is crisper and IMHO better tasting American Amber. While not a Belgian Amber it's close enough for comparison purposes.

I was knocking those pallid imitations of American beer.

Actually, they're mass-produced knock offs of Czech and German beer.

Real American styles like American Strong Ale are what British Beers styles like India Pale Ales aspire to be when they grow up. It's amazing what a few decades of modern research can add to centuries of brewing tradition.

>New Belgium makes average micro-brews. The styles are uninteresting . . .

Well, to be fair, you're talking about their mass market beers. Eric’s Ale is a great sour, and their Abbey Belgian Style Ale is outstanding. Their 1554 black ale is pretty good too. I spent a night with Lauren Salazar when she was down here last and tried some very good beers.

The problem many breweries face is that their unusual beers are what they are proud of - but the average beers are what pay the rent. (Lost Abbey may be one of the few exceptions, but even they have a relationship to Port Brewing to keep quantities up.) A company like New Belgium deals with this by making a LOT of Fat Tire, and then smaller batches of the more artsy stuff. To me, Fat Tire is the equivalent of the tandems that pay the bills at a DZ. Not all that interesting but important in the overall scheme of things.

>Real American styles like American Strong Ale are what British Beers
>styles like India Pale Ales aspire to be when they grow up.

I find the names of the various styles don't mean much any more; styles are changing pretty fast. IPA's were British for a while, then there was a five year period where the Pacific Northwest went hop-crazy and dominated the field. They are mostly over that (thank goodness) and are turning to Belgians. I predict this year's Oregon Brewer's Festival will see a LOT of them.

Just to do a counterpoint to the cheap beer theme -

Last week I spent the most I've ever spent for a few bottles of a beer. Isabella Proximus, a geuze brewed by five different brewers with a great many strains of yeast (including the dreaded Brettanomyces) became available at Lost Abbey. They were $30 each. Extremely sour but extremely good, and I'll be using a few as "trading material" to get some rare bottles from other places in the US.

Say what you will, but at $17 for a 30pk thats the biggest bang for the buck I can find. At least that has a tollerable taste anyway.:)

You can get a 30 rack of busch light or 30 stones for like $12. They are the official beers of college kids and beer pong tournies everywhere.

That said, I find Coors Light to be the best among the cheaper beers. Fat tire is awesome and Blue Moon is amazing, especially with the orange slice.

When I was in college there was this beer called Drewry's. It was the cheapest beer around, and you could return their bottles to get a deposit back. This was not too long ago (relatively), and I can only guess that they had a local brewery. Where else do they give you a break on the cost if you bring back an empty case? Cheap, nasty, and it gotcha drunk.
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

Why on Earth would a Belgium beer company want to buy BUD?!

Because BUD is the world's largest brewer. They have been somewhat underperforming the sector in both margin and growth, and have the US market cornered (48% of the US market).

InBev doesnt have much presence in the US beyond its licensing agreement with BUD, but is a very close secont worldwide in market share (11.8% vs. 12.5 for BUD). This would make InBev by far the largest player.

At the same time, you have other companies merging, so the pressure in on (SAB Miller just completed their merge with Molson Coors to form MillerCoors).
Remster

American beer is crap

Not really, anymore. Micro-brewed & specialty stuff aside, my favorite affordable, mass-produced American beers are the Samuel Adams varieties and Dock Street, which I think are terrific.

Having said that, the American micro-brewed beers are excellent. I think if you took any European alehead from, say, Germany, Belgium, the UK or Ireland, and sat them down to sample what's offered in a good American microbrewery/restaurant, they'd be pretty impressed.

I love beer. I will try any beer wherever I am if I haven't tried it already. The US does make some excellent beers, both top and bottom fermented, but they are not the popular ones.
The only thing good about Bud, IMO, is that less adventurous people know what they are drinking whatever country they are in. This goes for other big brands such as Heineken as well.

The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of my employer, not necessarily mine, and probably not necessary.

American micro-brews are among the best beers IMO. In no particular order:

New Belgium 1554
Left Hand Milk Stout
Tommyknocker Maple Nut Brown Ale
Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti Stout
Deschutes Black Butte Porter
Mammoth Brewing Co. Double Nut Brown
Firestone Double Barrel Ale
Sam Adams Black Lager
Sam Adams Brown Ale

I probably missed a few, but that's a good list. Admittedly, I don't mind a Coors Light if I'm looking for something "refreshing." And I can't stand IPAs. :D

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein

> When I was in college there was this beer called Drewry's.

Our really cheap beer was Kappy's. Never found out where it came from, but the labels looked really odd - I always thought they were rejects from other brewers with new labels overprinted on the cans.

Left Hand's Saw Tooth (Ordinary Bitter) is a more flavorful and enjoyable style than New Belgium's Fat Tire (Belgian Amber?) without having too much body.

If you do want an amber or copper ale unlikely to challenge a light beer drinker's palate Boulder Beer's Single Track is crisper and IMHO better tasting American Amber. While not a Belgian Amber it's close enough for comparison purposes.

Trying the Sawtooth now. Seems mellower than the Fat Tire. Thumbs up.

Also picked up a six of the SingleTrack at the store. Haven't tried that yet.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

When I was in college there was this beer called Drewry's. It was the cheapest beer around, and you could return their bottles to get a deposit back. This was not too long ago (relatively), and I can only guess that they had a local brewery.

Reagional maybe but not 'local'...I remember that stuff being fairly popular in the mid-west when I was in High School...

Cheap buzz to those who know no better! ;)

There was another semi-regional beer back then called 'Hubers' ...even Cheaper than Drewrys! :S

~ a guy I jumped with back then use to survive on Hubers & Hard Boiled Eggs....B| a real joy to ride to altitude with!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~