buzi

My cypres just expired, do I turn it on to jump ?

From what I know if its expiared then your reserve pack job is out of date as well.. Not that I know this but ..... Meaning that you can not legally jump this rig until you get the AAD current.......

You are also putting the DZ operation, pilot, and yourself at risk....
I am suprised the rigger that packed the reserve last time did not get it sent in for service when it was last repacked.....???
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

IF you are going to jump, leave it off. Just cause, not that an expired cypress will cause a premature activation. BUT realize you are breaking a few rules if you were to jump that here in the USA. I do not know what the Canadian rules are. I am also not condoning your actions, please be smart.:)

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

IF you are going to jump, leave it off. Just cause, not that an expired cypress will cause a premature activation. BUT realize you are breaking a few rules if you were to jump that here in the USA. I do not know what the Canadian rules are. I am also not condoning your actions, please be smart.:)

I have a good Canadian friend who was unable to jump one of his rigs at the Canadian Nationals 2005 - if they know it is expired they will likely not let you jump that rig - anyone got a cypress you can borrow for your trip?
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Topics of this type are what somtimes lead other fourm reader, and poster to call Troll! I am not accusing this poster of being a troll, I just want to use this as an example.

For a skydiver who needs to follow the user manual and manufacture guidlines in the use of skydiving equipment, to knowingly break the rules and post it here on a worldwide fourm could be mistaken by others as trolling.

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

So sid, you're telling me to turn the cypres on ?

I'm not endorsing anything! BUT! You're gonna do one jump, the only people that know it's expired are those reading this forum, and it doesn't turn into a pumpkin at 12 years +3 months.....

Now... I don't own a Cypres, don't jump with one and am NOT "telling you to turn it on" - but I'd jump it (just don't go in):S
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

The Canadian Nationals 2005 required AAD's, but that is DZ specific (and caused a lot of controversy, especially among CReW dogs!). Most DZ's that I know of do not require an AAD unless you are a student. My DZ requires AADs for anyone without at least a B licence.
Best to check with the DZ, but it should be ok to jump with it turned off. :)

I will never tell you what to do but just post this for your information.
I know a person who has jumped an expired cypress for well over one year and still turns it on every time he jumps.

I would bet that if tested the unit will still pass the cypress inspection process.

Joe
www.greenboxphotography.com

test it out - throw it out of the plane with the cypres on and see what happens. Maybe it will blow up apon impact ;)

Wouldn't be legal to jump in Australia (even if turned off) it must be removed from the rig. Don’t know about Canada. It is worth noting that there have been quite a few AAD misfires (by every vendor) so you could (in theory) be at increased risk of endangering others.

Personally; I'd jump it but only for a very short time (as in one day) until I got another AAD – begged, borrowed, hired or purchased.

I'm sitting here sweltering (over 40 o C ) - I can only dream of cold.

edit: pls confirm this. I think you have a three month window/grace. So the max age is 12years, 3months.
Blue Dreams Benno

Wouldn't be legal to jump in Australia (even if turned off) it must be removed from the rig.

That is also the case here in the USA.

The Cypres has to be maintained in accordance with the Manufacturer's recommendations/instructions through out the 120 day repack cycle to be legal.
This also includes battery life/cycles.

This is the reason for the extra 3 months on the life cycle and the battery life cycle.

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Sorry but since when is illegal to jump without an AAD in the US? I think is up to the jumper..... I don't know in Canada but does not makes much sense.

Not illegal, but it is illegal to jump with a rig that has an out of date AAD in it, whether it is turned on or off, in the US.

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

So sid, you're telling me to turn the cypres on ?

Disclaimer: I am not a rigger.

Your Cypres didn't up & die on you in the middle of the night. The reason L&B say they put a 12 yr lifetime on it is that none of the component manufacturers will warranty the parts beyond 12 years. So their decision is that if the parts can't be warrantied, they don't want the assembly used.

You have a +/- 3 month tolerance on your service dates, your battery replacement dates, and exp date. Your rigger has to maintain your AAD within the manufacturer's instructions. When your reserve comes due next month, your rigger will tell you that he or she cannot repack your reserve with THIS Cypres unit. He'll probably offer to install a new one (maybe even offer to sell you one), OR offer to repack your reserve without the Cypres. Replacing your Cypres or going without an AAD will be your decision. (Hint: Start thinking about a replacement, whether it's new or used, Cypres or Vigil, just get one and get it over with.)

But for now, go ahead and use the thing. If it powers up and the numbers count down correctly all the way to "0", it's still working. Leaving it turned off is just ridiculous.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !