Evelyn

Rolling the chute (like a sleeping bag)

Since I have trouble controlling my canopy when preparing to put it into the d-bag, my rigger showed me an easier technique. Instead of s-folding, just roll it up like a sleeping bag. I haven't jumped it yet, packed it that way after my last jump yesterday. I'd never heard of this technique before so am wondering if anyone else has tried this and if openings were any different than with the standard s-fold way.

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

I just started doing the phsyco pack and it really improved the openings. It makes it way easier to pack and its faster. I think I set an unoficial speed packing record of two and half minutes. and yes it opened fine:D

Is that what it is called when you roll it up instead of s-folding? I've heard the term physco pack, but didn't know what it meant :P. And you probably know way more than me about packing, since I hardly ever pack for myself :$.

I call it Z fold instead of S fold. I have found that not making the first fold before rolling it will tear the skin on the canopy, check it out, the gromet on the slider sandwitches the skin to the gromet on the d-bag, and will tear the fabric on deployment. I do not know hoy to psyco pack. hope this helps.

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

yeah its kind of funny... there's a few people at the dz I pack for and they come with a stack of $5 bills and never pack for themselves. It give them extra jumps if they packed for themselves. But people like me envy those people who have that kind of money.

No disrespect

My problem is I would have less jumps if I packed for myself because I am so slow. I'm kind of a perfectionist, so it takes me more time just to stow my brakes than it takes most people to pack :P. So it's worth it to me to pay the packer and make more jumps in a day. Thank goodness for packers - you guys rock! But I am trying to learn to be faster, packing my last jump each week myself (starting yesterday :P)

I just bought a new Pilot. I'm sure I will only get 1 jump in a day and spend the rest of the time cursing my impulse buying habbits.
#148 Sonic Scrat
"Have you ever kissed a rabbit between the eyes?" Woodpecker pulling out his pants pockets to the waitress

yeah its kind of funny... there's a few people at the dz I pack for and they come with a stack of $5 bills and never pack for themselves. It give them extra jumps if they packed for themselves. But people like me envy those people who have that kind of money.

No disrespect

Dude, you're 14 or 15 - be happy that you can jump!

I pack that way and my openings are very soft and gentle. B|

Thanks for the reply! That's good to hear. I was a little nervous about packing for myself, and on top of that packing differently than I normally would. I love soft openings :)

I just bought a new Pilot. I'm sure I will only get 1 jump in a day and spend the rest of the time cursing my impulse buying habbits.

Congratulations on getting a Pilot. That's what I have and my rigger said they are much easier to pack for newbies since they have the color coded lines and the red tab in the center. I love to fly my pilot and hopefully will learn to love to pack it :P.

In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just started doing the phsyco pack and it really improved the openings. It makes it way easier to pack and its faster. I think I set an unoficial speed packing record of two and half minutes. and yes it opened fine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is that what it is called when you roll it up instead of s-folding? I've heard the term physco pack, but didn't know what it meant . And you probably know way more than me about packing, since I hardly ever pack for myself .

This is part of the psycho pack. I believe Icarus used to recommend it, but I don't think any manufacturers recommend it now. Also manufacturers recommended in the past that if you were going to psycho pack that you get a connection point extension. This is because when you roll the canopy in this manner it traps the canopy connection point in the middle of the roll. Hence on deployment the tension pulls the connection point across the canopy material which could result in damage to the canopy.

If you're going to continue to pack that way you may want to think about getting the extension. I don't think any manufacturers recommend this method anymore though. Others will probably give you more info on it.
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

The "roll pack" is by no means new. It's been around much longer than PRO packing and I wouldn’t use it on a modern canopy. Read you owner's manual as many say, "no roll packing." BTW, roll packing means laying the canopy flat on its side, folding the tail over once and setting the brakes. Then the tail and nose are "rolled" or folded into the center. Sometimes the outer cells on the nose are stuffed into the center cells before rolling.

Some problems with roll packing are excess wear on the lines above the slider where the twists are. You can negate this a little bit by making sure the slider is snugged up as tight as possible against the twists. (And if looking at that mess doesn't put you off roll packing nothing will.) I've see larger PD student canopies need new lines in 60 jumps from sloppy roll packing. And I think PD is now a company that says no roll packing in their manuals.

Another thing with a roll pack is the nose and tail tends to inflate at the same time (when you really want a nose first inflation.) And forget on-heading openings, when roll packs open on heading it was just the luck of the draw . . .

Roll packs were used on canopies that opened too hard in the old days. It was not designed to be used because you have trouble packing. There are some modified roll packs specified by manufacturers like Strong tandem reserves, but there's no reason you should be doing it.

I know how difficult new ZP can be, but it is all in the technique, and applying yourself. Don’t press too hard, use your knees and your elbows. If that's not in the cards pay for the first twenty or thirty pack jobs until the canopy gets handier, or get a SLIGHTLY bigger deployment bag for a while. Note: I said "slightly" larger, not humungous . . .

Personally, being old school, I don’t mind someone else packing for me, but I would never jump something I couldn’t pack myself. I realize that's not the current mindset but come on, don’t let that canopy beat you!

NickD :)BASE 194

Another technique for new, super-slippery canopies that works for some people - but not everyone - is to ask men to put it in the bag for you, for free. I'm not going to get into details, but my suspicion is this would work pretty well for Evelyn. Maybe not so well for Nick. ;)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Thanks for your input. I used this packing method just cu z my rigger recommended it to help me manage my canopy, but as I get better with packing I will go back to the method I initially learned, with the s-folds. Figure that since most people use this there must be a reason. My main concern was that I had packed my canopy this way and how would openings be, it seems like it will be okay. I definitely need to learn to pack :P.

Thats the way I pack my Crossfire, openings are always sweet and on heading (my Crossfire opens like a Safire :P).

I just roll the canopy instead of s-folding it (I think thats no Psycho-Pack) and pull the connection point out before bagging the canpoy.

Maybe stress on the lines is not that big of a problem with Vectran lines used by Icarus.

Dom

I was taught this method by two different people at my DZ - it seems ridiculously easy.

THe first time was after a drunken bonfire night - hehe, but after he showed me how to do it, he picked it up by the top skin and it stayed rolled up - had I tried to do that with my S folds it would have crumbled :D

The second time is by a jumper that has one of Brian Germain's lotus' - and he was instructed to pack that way by Brian... he has no trouble getting it in the bag... versus me...:S:ph34r:

When I get back to jumping I may try this way because I won't be jumping as much and want to minimize my packing time - psycho just seems faster.

Jen
Arianna Frances

And forget on-heading openings, when roll packs open on heading it was just the luck of the draw . . .

I'll have to disagree with this statement. I've found that pro-packing vs. psycho packing give me the same amount of on heading openings - which is 99% of the time. A subconscious habit that I had gotten into is to pick a reference point as I'm deploying and verify that I'm seeing that reference point when the canopy has fully inflated. With both ways of packing (and flat packing as well), I have had 99% on heading openings.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.