lauraliscious

How many puppies??

get two otherwise one alone will chew and fuck shit up.

with two the separation anxiety wont be as bad because they have each other.

take a pack animal away from the pack and the separation anxiety gets the best of them...especially a lab

that dog will chew on your entire garage if you leave him alone in there

you'll be sorry if you only get one. think about the $$$$$repair damages you'll save by getting two
if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell

so a man is walking along a street filled with restaurants some of which have outdoor seating...:)
he sees a man drinking coffee, seated at a table , right next to a tree..:|

a grown dog is leashed to the tree, and so the stroller asks the man with the cafe'latte'
"Does Your dog bite?"
"NO"..... replies the seated man...as he reads a newspaper...
and so the walker reaches down to pet the animal on it's head....

The dog Barks!!!:o[:/]

then lunges at him, snapping and biting,,,,,
snarling and growling...B|[:/]:o:o
tears his shirt and leaves him bleeding.....

he pulls away, and screams at the seated man,,,
"i thought you said your dog doesn't BITE!!! ">:(>:(

the man looks over, turns back to his drink and casually replies...
" that's not MY dog".....!!!:P;)B|:)
hahahahaha

poetic license taken, from an Inspector Clouseau episode....

jmy

I vote for one. I know a woman who has 2 golden pups from the same litter and I have seen her nearly lose her mind trying to control and watch both of them. I own multiple labs and spent most of my life raising and caring for labs so I speak from first hand experience
Rodriguez Brother #1626
Dudiest Skydiver #1962
DPH #-2

I've experienced getting two puppies - brother and sister- at the same time.

I say get one!

Training two dogs is not twice as hard as one, requiring twice as much time... it's exponentially more difficult!

Get one, and when that dog is trained (maybe a year old) then get a second dog if you still want another.

Way easier that way, and bonding between you and the dogs will be better. Our two dogs bonded to each other, and really didn't need us except for dinner time. This was despite us taking the pups to obedience school (twice) and on long daily walks. We were great dog owners, I just think that our experience getting two puppies from the same litter was fairly typical.

-Karen

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Thanks everyone, I'm super excited about our puppy! We talked about it last night, and we're getting one for now. Maybe another one later on down the road, but 1 should keep us busy for now.

We're going to visit her tonight. I'll post pics when i get them. The yellow pup female that we thought we were getting has been promised to someone else so now we're getting the chocolate female. Now we just have to figure out a name. We were set on Annabelle, but I keep thinking of the yellow one as Annabelle. So now we're thinking Delilah...

What do you guys think? Delilah or Annabelle for our chocolate lab/golden retriever mix?? :)

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

Get two pups and make sure you get lots of chew-toys....labs love, love, love to chew...I grew up with two dogs all the time...it's good for them, and good for the family in my opinion. ;)

Post pics when you get them!!B|

So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

You made the right choice by getting one for the time being. I agree with Renee, getting two would be asking for trouble. In this case, it would be twice as much work and $$$ invested in training a very smart but very active animal. Get one, train it well and your second pup will be more easily trained as you'll already have a well behaved dog in your house. As for separation anxiety, there are simple daily tricks you can do to overcome your dog's fears of being alone. Make your comings and goings in and out of the house as unemotional as possible. Do not fuss over the puppy when you leave and when he/she goes crazy when you return, ignore the behavior. Do not interact with her, don't even look at her until she is calm and start with short periods of abscence.

Good luck and enjoy your new addition!:)

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."

I do not recommend bringing two puppies home at the same time. It is hard enough trying to train one dog much less two.

The second problem is establishing pack order is harder to do when raising two puppies at once.

I have seen to many times where people bring two puppies into the house and have all kinds of problems and end up dumping them off at the shelter. You really should get one, train it for a year then look at bringing a second one. Dogs are not like cats in the sense of bringing multiples home.

Please only bring home one....

Edited to add: I worked for a humane society as well as a breed rescue. Neither of these would ever send two puppies to a house together.

I'll second this...

In addition if you get one dog it will be more likely to bond with the people (owners) and you will have a stronger pack instead of bonding with his brother or sister...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Laura,

I'm glad you are only getting one... and I would recommend Crate training the dog... but do it right... Karma is still Crated often and although it sounds like a bad thing to put the dog in a crate it is a safe haven for the dog and Karma will generally go there to hide if there's something dangerous in the house (such as the vacuum cleaner)

Good luck with the pup... the first week or so is difficult... especially the first time you have to leave her alone in a room and she's whining... Karma is still the cutest when I leave her in the morning... giving me those big brown puppy dog eyes just asking me to take her along... [:/]:)

Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I will echo Icon the crate training. It should never be used as punishment, it is a safe place for them to go. I normally leave a crate up all the time and my husky routinely sleeps in there. Door is always open. Thing is when too much is going on he will also go in there to get away from everything, or if there is a disaster and I need him secure he would go in there and know he is safe

When my little one could see and there were kids all over bugging her, into the crate she would go. That is their safe haven to go.

Remember that dogs are den animals! I also found with rescues that were stressed with the move covering the crate calmed them down big time. Crates used properly are a wonderful thing!
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

You really should get one, train it for a year then look at bringing a second one. Dogs are not like cats in the sense of bringing multiples home.

Please only bring home one....

This was the advice I got when I got Abby. I listened to it and it was the best thing I ever did. When I got my second dog a year later, Abby (the first dog) did 95% of the trainig. Rolo was SO much easier to train because he had his sister to teach him.

...we're getting one for now. Maybe another one later on down the road, but 1 should keep us busy for now.

<<>>
Shoulda got a mechanical one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSkThpK7Gr8&feature=related

batteries not included
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

We have 2 dogs (mother and daughter Springer Spaniels) and they are great company for each other.

Being a different age is also a good thing for us, as the younger one encourages the mom and (when) the mom dies we will bring a younger dog in to be company for the then older daughter.... Sort of continuity.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Oh they are soooo adorable!!

Congrats to the both of you!!! Give them each a scratch and a hug for me!

Love the names!!! If you guys every have any questions please feel free to PM me!
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto