Conundrum

*2008 Miramar Airshow*

Well I know that back about 15 years ago that the Thunderbirds put on quite a show at Edwards AFB, and I'm sure other places.

Now the Blue Angels show I saw a few years ago was good, but I left thinking, that's it?

I know they have had to change a lot of maneuvers in the past years and that probably has something to do with it. I'm sure the thunderbirds are not what they used to be.

I don't like the blanket statement though, just my opinion.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

I saw very few, if any, risky maneuvers in the show I saw. Well hold on because most of it is risky, but I'm talking the high speed near misses of old, none of those.
I actually think that is just fine as well. Why risk lives and millions of dollars of airplanes just to be risky? I believe that is why it has been toned down.

Anyway, this thread shouldn't be about the Blue Angels, it should be about ALL the awesome pics of Conundrum!!
Skymama's #2 stalker -

What makes you think that they are better than anyone else?

Spending a bunch of hours rating aerobatics.

It's kinda what I do. Like I said, I don't deal with military teams but when you're used to judging performers you can't turn it off just because you don't need to judge these guys.
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

I wouldn't say beat, but the Red Arrows , PAF etc... are all professionals and rate very highly, but to call one team better than the other is pure arrogance.

Not really. I think the Blue Angels are better than the Thunderbirds. Their formations are more tightly knit, they do better and faster maneuvers, and they have better aircraft. Not to mention Fat Albert.

So there. :P

The older airplane in that pic is a P-51 World War II era fighter. One of the best in the American fleet. Think Chuck Yeager, Tuskeegee Airmen, etc. Lot's of them still flying in the hands of those who can afford the maintenance. Great photos. Looks like a good show.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

I saw very few, if any, risky maneuvers in the show I saw. Well hold on because most of it is risky, but I'm talking the high speed near misses of old, none of those.

I think the Frecce Tricolori at Rammstein kinda put a stop to those!

(As to the "who's best" debate, I'm not sure how anyone can compare a 4 ship to a 9 ship formation (BA to RA) team and say which of them flies better, the dynamics are just too different.)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Why risk lives and millions of dollars of airplanes just to be risky?

Not to belittle the risk, because it is very real (I've got the Gone West entries in my phone book to prove it[:/]) But, done right, it's mostly perception. My pal Rob Holland put it *rough quote* "I don't do stunts, I do aerobatics". The best performers set up a show and use forced perspective at show center to make things look closer than they are.
You are only as strong as the prey you devour