sky722

Best Concert You Been To?

I've been to so many shows in so many cities, it's hard to pick just one... almost.

J Geils band - Providence Civic center, 28 December, 1982. If you were there, you understand. Absoutely amazing show.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

Janis Joplin, 1969 at the Eastman Theater in Rochester, NY.

Janis and The Band at the Festival Express in Calgary, 1970.
The Who in Saskatoon SK in 1968
Rolling Stones in Regina SK 2006 (First Show)
Aerosmith in Saskatoon 2003 or 4
Ricki Lee Jones Vancouver 1993 or so.
Neil Young in Regina a couple weeks ago. Neil just rocked the place!!
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Frank Zappa and the Mothers, early 70's, always good shows, nice venue with good sound, great musicianship.

They must have been good, and you must have good taste -- I was going to put that on my list, too :)
And I saw Janis Ian a couple of years ago in a small venue here in Houston. She was stunning. Big-star presence really shines in a small venue, and while she's no longer huge, she sure does have that presence.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I've been to tons of concerts and really can't think of one that was BEST. A lot were awesome so it's hard to pick just one. I do, however, have to say that Slayer at the Metro in Chicago in 1998 was the most memorable. I broke 2 ribs. I've seen Slayer a bunch of times, but that one stands out for obvious reasons.

Frank Zappa and the Mothers, early 70's, always good shows, nice venue with good sound, great musicianship.

They must have been good, and you must have good taste -- I was going to put that on my list, too :)
And I saw Janis Ian a couple of years ago in a small venue here in Houston. She was stunning. Big-star presence really shines in a small venue, and while she's no longer huge, she sure does have that presence.

Wendy W.

One of the biggest disappointments of my life was not seeing The Mothers...and it wasn't for lack of trying. I was a huge Mothers fan, starting with their first album, Freak Out.

I convinced my Mom to let my older brother and me drive out to Vancouver to see them in 1968. (We lived 1,000 miles away in Saskatchewan) I had fantastic tickets. The night of the show I was at some friends house waiting for my brother to come and pick us up to go to the concert. He never showed up and we had no way to get into Vancouver...we were about 60 miles away. My brother had woken up in the morning after I left the hotel we were staying in, gone to the hospital and been operated on for appendicitis...and he couldn't get word to me so I never knew until the following day. I was crushed. :(

Hendrix was coming to Vancouver a week later but I had to go home to start school.

Close but no cigar!
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Here's my weird entry:

My very first concert will always stick out in my mind not just because it was my first but also because it was such a unique experience. Liberace at the Fox Theater in Atlanta, GA. It was probably around 1978 or 79 and I was 5 or 6. My parents got front row seats. It was so amazing and dazzling to see this man who was such an enigma and an amazing performer/showman. At one point he came down to the edge of the stage and chatted with my sister (who was 8 or 9) and I. I was fascinated by his rings and he let me try one on.

Never again have I seen a performer who could hold a candle to Liberace. It was the best show.
If you can't laugh at yourself, I'll be happy to do it for you.
Be like the cupcake and suck it up.

Jehtro Tull '76 or '77. War Memorial Center Rochester NY

Moody Blues Finger Lakes Performing Arts Center
Canandaigua :S:S NY ... mid '80s

Paul McCartney Wash DC. Fall 2005 ( i think)
that was cool 'cause all 4 of my siblings and their spouses were there with Us...what a show... great acoustics, great visuals...
great VOICE..... by Sir Paul...:)
jmy

AC/DC and David Lee Roth, when he left Van Halen...and of course ..KORN

I like my favorite Colorado latin fusion band Cabaret Diosa's annual Haloween show. The last time we went (2005?) it was _Somewhere over the Mambo_ complete with rapping midgets (Representing the Lolipop Guild, of course) and appropriate pop songs mixed in with the latin rhythms - Strawberry Fields Forever when they fall asleep in the poppy field, a little Led Zepplin Immigrant Song for the flying monkeys.

Rush always has a good show too.

There are three that come to mind in particular:

Most technical, (meaning everything sounded pretty much like it did on the album:)

"Souls at Zero", Rittenhouse Square, Winston Salem, NC, 1992.

Best Showmanship: (Without a doubt)

KISS!!!!!! Greensboro Collessium, "Psycho Circus Tour", 2000. Ace Frehley ROCKS!

Most Original: (Because he got to play with his father, digitally, I bet that meant the WORLD to him!)

Dweezil Zappa, "Zappa Does Zappa Tour" Toad's Place, Richmond VA, 2007.
"Get these balls!"

I've seen Def Leppard, AC/DC, The Ramones, Van Halen and a couple others, but only two really stood out to me... Best show - AC/DC, I mean, come on, who else has a giant bell and cannons as part of their show? Fucking awesome! :D Now best acoustics, has to go to Def Leppard when they did their show at the Oak Mountain Ampitheatre south of Birmingham, AL. You could really appreciate the music as it's supposed to sound like in the open air, not bouncing off the walls in some enclosed arena.

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I went to a lot of concerts in the late 70s and throughout the 80s. Its hard to pick just one. There were the all day outdoor extravaganzas, my first "real date" was a Foghat concert when I was 15, my first scalper experience was a Springsteen show when I was about 20, I saw Journey several times. Concerts are so freaking expensive these days, I don't know how kids get to see any live bands!

I don't go to nearly as many these days- the best big concert I've been to lately was Mana last year and I can't wait until they come back. I'm actually listening to the live CD right now.

The Rolling Stones--Babylon tour
(opening bands were The Smashing Pumpkins, Dave Matthews, and Matchbox 20.) It was an AMAZING day!!! I only went to see the Pumpkins, and fell in love with the Stones that day too.
~Nikki
http://www.facebook.com/poe62

Irgity Dirgity

Rolling Stones & Stevie Wonder @ RFK Stadium - July 4th, '72
Roy Buchanan at some H.S. in northern Va. - '72
Led Zepplin @ Three Rivers Stadium - '73
Return to Forever in Cincinnati - '77 (quit playing the guitar for 20 yrs. after that one. Dammit Al!!)
George Benson @ a small club in north Dayton - '75
Wishbone Ash in Dayton - '75 & '77
The Clash @ Red Rocks - '83
Tears for Fears @ Red Rocks - 80's ?
Plenty of other good shows, but gots to stop somewhere.

Kiss-Kiss Alive tour 1974.
Yes with the Vancouver philharmonic orchestra 2002.

Now I'm scared. I saw both those shows. Still a huge KISS fan. Saw em' in Melbourne with the Melbourne Symphony. The last tour with Ted Nugent rocked.

AlterBridge blew me away recently.
PinkFloyd, The Wall.
Garth Brooks Central Park (w/Billy Joel)
Peter Gabriel
3 Dog Night unplugged in Park City, Utah bar.
KISS has so-so music, but no one has ever beaten their live show, IMO.